Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Cruiserdrew and I have sat in camp on the Rubicon trail and monitored the Victron charge controllers on 4 other nearby rigs all while sitting in the shade under an awning drinking 🍻. I think they all had the external BT dongle. As @george_tlc says, the dongle is a short range radio module, so keep it away from the metal body of the truck and elevated and you’ll marvel at how far the connection to your phone can reach. OK, I’m chilln’ now while my batteries top off...

Well, if you can get the other guys' data while drinking some :beer:, that probably means you can change their PIN, which in turn could get you more :beer: potentially... Win-win: Entertainment and hostage :beer: ... :D

(Note to self: go change my PIN from default...)

@e9999 , @TrickyT does not, I repeat, NOT need any more encouragement in the "change the other guy's pin" arena. Ask me how I know.

We are dying to know...

well, if it's technically relevant, of course... :)

We are dying to know...

well, if it's technically relevant, of course... :)

Technically... @TrickyT is too good with all this electronics stuff, and has tried to and/or threatened to break into my controller and change my pin on more than one occasion whilst roaming the wilds of Nowhere Land. Usually I can fend him off with offers of good wine, spirits and food, which is not easy given the refinement of his tastes and his own on-hand supplies. "One does not simply" join @TrickyT for adventure without being prepared, this I can tell you.

well, since changing your PIN yourself from the default 000000 would be too easy for a true MUDder, how about some bluetooth jamming device?:)

But back closer to the main topic at hand: the 75/15 with built-in BT. FWIW, in a nutshell:

Well, I am happy with the charge controller itself. Works as well as hoped for once set up.
The Bluetooth part and especially the (android) app, though: Not impressed at all. Serious shortcomings and issues, IMO.

Just got mine last week - with the BT built in - Smartsolar? At any rate yes it seems that the charger itself is awesome but the range is crappy (maybe 10' open air - varies.) The android app is buggy and it's annoying that on my phone at least that any time I switch the screen away from the app (say to look at a text) it has to go through the re-connect process. That part doesn't see very Androidy. I've for an iPhone for work I guess no excuse not to try that.

That is indeed one of the things that is most annoying on my app. If I want to do any logging, I can't use the phone for anything else and I have to have the screen kept on all the time. Otherwise it disconnects and I lose all the data. And then, it can only log for 2 hrs max. Not even 24hrs. Really, Victron? What were you thinking...?

Appreciate everyone's input. I got the 75/15 Smart version thanks to recs here and it's a champ. Easily 30' of Bluetooth range (iPhone, new-ish). I spent a week or so trying to figure out what to buy, then...duh. Just look it up on Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom