Auxillary Fuel Tank Question's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've read alot about the Aussie Sub tank and install. It is a great system. My question is...Has anyone tried a different tank in the rear location? Excluding the aftermarket "long range" tanks. What I'm getting at is continue to use the factory dual filler neck and put in a factory junkyard tank from something else. I don't have my 80 yet, but I was just thinking. My understanding is that the sub tank for use in the US 80's just transfers to the main tank, correct? And we are talking about 17gal. My thougt is do some measuring, go to the junkyard and do some more measuring and find one that came with a fuel injection pump in the tank, filler located in the right spot and pick it up for cheap. Then use the factory switch and when you run low in the main tank, flip the switch and there you are.

The reason for the junkyard tank is price and possibly more capacity and did I mention cheap.

Has anyone tried this? Or am I making this more difficult on myself.

>> Or am I making this more difficult on myself?

Could be...

>> My understanding is that the sub tank for use in the US 80's just transfers to the main tank, correct?

Correct.

>> And we are talking about 17gal.?

50L, or approx 13.5 ~ 14 gal - depending on how you measure it.

>> find one that came with a fuel injection pump in the tank...

If by this you mean to plumb the petrol forward directly to the fuel rails, you will discover no end of difficulties in getting the pressure and flow rate accurate enough to keep from hosing the injectors. This has been tried without much success.

>> My thougt is do some measuring, go to the junkyard and do some more measuring...

The OEM tank fits into to allocated space like a foot in a shoe. This includes a shape with detents in the tank for a wire channel and a primary tank filler pipe channel. Not likely you will find something else that would fit better. I'm sure you could find something, though likely smaller overall. Keep in mind the OEM tank presumes that you will carry your spare underneath the mounted tank (though none of us actually do that that I know of).

The so-called "Long Ranger" (Oz) subtanks are designed to fit in the same space, but they hang down too far to keep the spare tire in the stock location... and too far down for most of us who travel in places where rocks are a constant puncture hazard.

>> My question is...Has anyone tried a different tank in the rear location?

No one that I have ever heard of, and I believe most of us who have done this mod have spoken to each other at least one or twice somewhere along the line.

Good luck with your search !

Cheers, R -

>> And we are talking about 17gal.?

50L, or approx 13.5 ~ 14 gal - depending on how you measure it.

>> find one that came with a fuel injection pump in the tank...

If by this you mean to plumb the petrol forward directly to the fuel rails, you will discover no end of difficulties in getting the pressure and flow rate accurate enough to keep from hosing the injectors. This has been tried without much success.

Ok so the size of the factory tank is smaller than I thought.

The only reason that I would look for a FI tank is so that it has a pump and filter are already inside the tank. I'm not looking to try and plumb the secondary tank into the primary fuel injection system. My idea is to use the secondary as "five gallon" gas can that obviously is permantly mounted and no mess system. This will strictly be to fill the primary tank.

I realize that the factory auxillary tank is contoured to fit. I just think that it is really only significant when trying to keep the spare tire under there. I will have a rear bumper/tire carrier before the rear tank project. I'm just thinking that you could probably score a 20gal 'ish tank that will hang down lower than the factory tank, yet no where near as much as the spare tire or one of the long ranger tanks.

Again, measuring will be the key. If I can't find anything that fits, well then I'm out some time. However, if there is something that works, then I'm looking at a pretty reasonable upgrade that won't break the bank.

I'm even thinking that you could figure out the "full" and "empty" ohms from the original sender and mount an aftermarket fuel gauge so that you have an idea what the rear tank level is.

Just thinking.

>> Just thinking.

Nothing wrong with that. You might come up with something interesting if you can find a tank that fits and a set of straps that will fit the available mounting points to secure it.

>> I'm just thinking that you could probably score a 20gal 'ish tank that will hang down lower than the factory tank, yet no where near as much as the spare tire or one of the long ranger tanks.

Depending upon how you plan to use the truck, anything that extends below the stock rear tire carrier crank crossmember is going to get slapped. Ask me how I know. Even with the mildest wheeling, that's a vulnerable spot... so keep that in mind.

>> I'm even thinking that you could figure out the "full" and "empty" ohms from the original sender and mount an aftermarket fuel gauge so that you have an idea what the rear tank level is.

The OEM subtank sender has the same resistance range as the primary tank sender. This enables the use of the single fuel gauge, just need to interrupt the wiring and toggle between the senders. Works great.

Good luck with the project. There will be a lot of folks who will interested if you find a good alternative to the Oz subtank.

R -

Why not try and source a factory sub tank or are they not available in the US?

>> Why not try and source a factory sub tank or are they not available in the US?

Subtanks were never offered on North American Cruisers - not even as an option - so Toyota North America does not have a clue what "subtank" means, let alone the dual neck filler, transfer pump, and all the rest.

All of the OEM subtanks you hear about on this list (on U.S. trucks) came from some wrecker in Oz.

Cheers, R -

George was a pioneer in this modification and Ron is being typically very modest about his significant contributions to this project. Without the leg-work these two guys did, along with a few additional tid-bits I picked up, this would be a daunting task from a cold start.

Don't worry about how well a transfer pump works, that's the easy part... ;)

D-

ParadiseCruiser said:
>> Just thinking.

Nothing wrong with that. You might come up with something interesting if you can find a tank that fits and a set of straps that will fit the available mounting points to secure it.

>> I'm just thinking that you could probably score a 20gal 'ish tank that will hang down lower than the factory tank, yet no where near as much as the spare tire or one of the long ranger tanks.

Depending upon how you plan to use the truck, anything that extends below the stock rear tire carrier crank crossmember is going to get slapped. Ask me how I know. Even with the mildest wheeling, that's a vulnerable spot... so keep that in mind.

>> I'm even thinking that you could figure out the "full" and "empty" ohms from the original sender and mount an aftermarket fuel gauge so that you have an idea what the rear tank level is.

The OEM subtank sender has the same resistance range as the primary tank sender. This enables the use of the single fuel gauge, just need to interrupt the wiring and toggle between the senders. Works great.

Good luck with the project. There will be a lot of folks who will interested if you find a good alternative to the Oz subtank.

R -

On my 4runner, I mounted a air compressor and tank where the spare used to go and built one hell of a skid plate. Wheeled that thing over Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab, Johnson Valley and I never hit it one time. So what does that mean, not much other than I will be very aware of protecting the new subtank.

Also, I've helped and installed a few tanks in things that they didn't originally come in. My buddy and I put the rear tank from a 89 ford pickup into a wrangler. If you haven't seen one of these they are amazingly flat and not big in the other directions either. The good news is that it is a Fuel Injected Tank with drivers side fill point and measures out to about 19 or 20 gal. I don't have the exact measurements in front of me, nor do I have my 80 yet. Just seeing if someone else has traveled the road before. By the way, they are designed to fit between the frame rails and the strapping is just a few welded crossmembers away.

After SAS'ing a 4runner, making some crossmembers and protection to hold/protect a gas tank shouldn't be that hard.

And if you find a tank with matching resistance to the toyota guage, then it shouldn't be any different than wiring up the factory subtank.

I will definitely keep everyone informed, when I get to that point. Lets keep the debate going. It's getting good.

ParadiseCruiser said:
>> (though none of us actually do that that I know of).

Cheers, R -

I have my spare up under the truck .

locrwln1

Consider the shape of the tank the outlets for the fill and vent being in the right place, the proper straps to secure it to the truck, the senders match so you can toggle between tanks and it will show on your fuel uage, You can use the factory switch which looks cool in the dash, Georga has made up the computer brains that control everything and Sells them really CHEAP!the fact that several men here did all the homework for us, we just have to follow their instructions.

The deciding factor in putting this ahead of other mods is the availability of the parts. Steve-O once stated that the parts were getting harder to come by, you need to wait till an OZ 80 ends up in the junk yard.
One might concider that at a later date the parts may no longer be available to us in the USA.

Like Dan said plumming one tank to the other is not that difficult. In fact I have now run my very first Full tank of gas out of the sub tank, it worked flawlessly. :D
Steven

loquito said:
I have my spare up under the truck .

locrwln1

Consider the shape of the tank the outlets for the fill and vent being in the right place, the proper straps to secure it to the truck, the senders match so you can toggle between tanks and it will show on your fuel uage, You can use the factory switch which looks cool in the dash, Georga has made up the computer brains that control everything and Sells them really CHEAP!the fact that several men here did all the homework for us, we just have to follow their instructions.

The deciding factor in putting this ahead of other mods is the availability of the parts. Steve-O once stated that the parts were getting harder to come by, you need to wait till an OZ 80 ends up in the junk yard.
One might concider that at a later date the parts may no longer be available to us in the USA.

Like Dan said plumming one tank to the other is not that difficult. In fact I have now run my very first Full tank of gas out of the sub tank, it worked flawlessly. :D
Steven

Congrats on the subtank usage.

Yeah, I am hoping to make this be as close to a factory subtank only cheaper and hopefully larger as I can.

Now I just have to find my 80. The hunt goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom