Automatic or Manual Transmission for expedition use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am looking to buy a RHD Diesel 81 series to turn into an expedition vehicle to go as far as South America. I have the chance to choose a Manual or an Auto Trany. The manual will be more stout and will likely have more power available.
I have a few cars with a manual and a few motorcycles. I have no problem with shifting gears and would not have it any other way with those vehicles.
I also have a Transit van that I self-built for Canada/USA use and of course it is automatic. I have slept in that van for 15 months in a 30 month period. and put on 65k miles. I like that rig in general and ended up appreciating the automatic trany because it is just so much easier to bump along and not have to shift gears (expecially in traffic in an unknown location)
So - Manual or Automatic for the 81. I am concerned that having a manual may get old when I'm on the road for 3 months straight. I realize that traveling is give and take - I just don't want to have something that is not easily changed - when it gets less fun to use.
Any input would help. THX

For expedition use and only regarding the 80 series, I would certainly choose manual transmission.... it is simpler and more efficient. You can also "push start," if needed. I do own a lot of manual vehicles but I can acknowledge newer auto transmissions are amazing and the decision of manual vs auto would not be as clear cut.

Yes - if I could get a 2020 automatic transmission in a 1994 Land Cruiser that has very little computer help would be the gold standard. Maybe?

Can U elaborate?
Costs. In the event of any maintenance. No heating issues ever. Even I could work my way through a repair in the
field with a manual. Most places outside of NA standards are the norm. Parts and replacements are more common.

Now I need to find a Land Cruiser with a manual and diesel in Cnd. (LHD preferably)
Any ideas?

As you’re in Cnd, I’d also give great consideration to a 2006 (or older) HZJ105.

You just missed two of the finest deals on the west coast. Keep looking.

I sent you a pm. This isn’t one of them, but it’s not bad. Not sure how much mechanical
you are capable of doing.

Costs. In the event of any maintenance. No heating issues ever. Even I could work my way through a repair in the
field with a manual. Most places outside of NA standards are the norm. Parts and replacements are more common.
As you’re in Cnd, I’d also give great consideration to a 2006 (or older) HZJ105.

I could be wrong but we don't have the 105's up here. Heck the 100s have never been sold up here either - only Lexus LXs no Toyota since the mid 90s TTBOMK

I could be wrong but we don't have the 105's up here. Heck the 100s have never been sold up here either - only Lexus LXs no Toyota since the mid 90s TTBOMK
Canada has a 15 year import rule. US has a 25 year import rule. You won't be competing with US buyers.

Hey, Lil' John - I've already got a Transit van for Canada USA use. I want a more compact and capable platform to go south in.

I drove my first RHD automatic 81 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive it was! I should post a new thread, but am wondering how annoying is it to drive a RHD with "manual" transmission day in day out in an 81 for 3 months straight?

I will go manual without even thinking .
Manual gear box in the toyota 80 , is very good and tough .
If , but I will put in in the very remote list it will give you issues any mechanic will be able to repair it .
The long stretches and low traffic in Sto arrivando! Will not affect your confort .
And you can really drive when in off road .
If you are without battery power you can easily start the car ,
Manual is the choice .

I will go manual without even thinking .
Manual gear box in the toyota 80 , is very good and tough .
If , but I will put in in the very remote list it will give you issues any mechanic will be able to repair it .
The long stretches and low traffic in Sto arrivando! Will not affect your confort .
And you can really drive when in off road .
If you are without battery power you can easily start the car ,
Manual is the choice .
Renago - I appreciate the input.

Please -No flaming from manual proponents.
As it happened the mint manual 81 that I was looking at fell through. There is a stock mall crawling local 81 that just came up. It is a little rougher around the edges body wise - but it does not bother me and way less upfront cost.

This one is an automatic. I spoke to two Certified Land Cruiser repair shops and both said the autos in the 80/81 are very very strong.
So for all the current right reasons - now it is an auto...? It's all about the journey - be it purchasing the rig - designing & building it, & and heading off.

Having driven to Panama and back nearly four times, automatic all the way.

FYI, certain countries will not allow a RHD vehicle unless you get specific permission first. Not only that, RHD will suck badly down south. Toll booths being one reason.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom