Aussie lockers/H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front or rear first if only installing one locker?

84 fj60, Tranny took a dump yesturday. So should I replace 4spd tranny or install H55???? She's my daily driver in SOCAL.
All and any replies are welcome.:beer:

a locker in the rear is better offroad, but having it in the front will effect no on road perfomance.

Tapage said:
Rear first .. and selectable locker IMOP for front .. also IMOP don't spend money in LSD .. ;)

x2 what Tapage said!

Do the H55 but you'll have to lengthen the front drive shaft and shorten the rear drive shaft. IIRC you may need to either to replace the tranny support or move it, not absolutly certian about this though, perhaps someone with experiance can chime in on this.

Will you be changing the transmission yourself?

In My OPinion

5 speed seems like a great fit for a 60. I have a rear autolocker and it's great offroad but it clanks and clicks around town. If it was my main vehicle I would only do selectable lockers front or back since we have ice and snow in the winter, which isn't always a great situation for auto locked diffs. In Puerto Rico, a front auto locker would probably be great since it's no issue while in 2wd, and while in 4H you probably don't see much snow.:D

What do you mean your tranny "took a dump"? They are pretty tough, and rarely go out all at once. Usually they get whiney, or the syncros go bad so they won't shift. If it was sudden, think clutch. If it isn't shifting right, the FIRST thing to do is replace the plastic collar under the ball of the shifter itself-the "shifter seat". That $15 part/10 minute repair has fixed many a 4 speed tranny. If it's really dead, I have a spare 4 speed from an 84 FJ60 if you want to go the replacement route.

The H55f is great but spendy and a fair amount of work (BTDT). I would do it again, but the parts alone will be $2500 or so, and a couple of weekends to complete the install. Plus you'll want to regear the diffs, change driveshafts etc. One thing you won't have to do is move the tranny cross member. That wrong idea gets posted about once per month. Regardless of year, the tranny crossmember stays in the same place.

Definitely put the first locker of any type in the rear. I have a strong bias toward ARBs, but an Aussie in the rear would be OK. For the front-selectable only.

Cruiserdrew is correct, however I'll add my experience. I have a 83 FJ-60 that I installed a H55 in
last year and I think it makes the FJ-60 much more drivable in today's world. I understand that sometime in 84 Toyota added about a 3 inch spacer into the four speed tranny, thus making it longer. If you have that tranny then it's pretty much a direct replacement. If not, then you will need to have your rear drive shaft shortened, and the front drive shaft lenthened. This is not really a problem because almost any reputable drive line shop can do the work, and it's not overly expensive (I think mine was in the $260 range). I think it's worth the extra money if you can afford it. I don't have any experience with lockers yet, but because I'll be driving mine on slick snowy roads here in Colorado, I would not consider any type of auto locker.
Semper FI

gulp3000 said:
5 speed seems like a great fit for a 60. I have a rear autolocker and it's great offroad but it clanks and clicks around town.

for DD auto locker are very complicated to handle .. in fact I try with lockright, EZ locker, DEtroit locker and finaly found my peace with both ARB ..

Yes .. expensive .. but your peace of mind ..

Last edited:
Tapage said:
for DD auto locker are very complicated to handle .. in fact I tray with locker right, EX locker, DEtroit locker and finaly found my peace with both ARB ..

Yes .. expensive .. but your peace of mind ..

I find it very predictable...nothin complicated about it.

boerboel313 said:
Front or rear first if only installing one locker?

84 fj60, Tranny took a dump yesturday. So should I replace 4spd tranny or install H55???? She's my daily driver in SOCAL.
All and any replies are welcome.:beer:

Why is that? Aint it be sopussed to work equal, anyway each locker works with 2 wheels!

lowtideride said:
I find it very predictable...nothin complicated about it.

IMOP .. drive in a hill with a large turn .. constant gas onto your engine needed means .. locker engaged .. no diferentiation in the rear diff and it means tires wear ..

I've got the Aussie in the rear of my BJ60. You get a bit of rear end wiggle when giving fuel sometimes but other than that no problems. I have not had it on snowy roads yet with the locker so my opinion on peformance may not match your needs.

is the H55 refering to a different model of toyota? Its that the 1 ton utility truck or something else?

Elbert said:
is the H55 refering to a different model of toyota? Its that the 1 ton utility truck or something else?
it's a non us tranny

Tapage said:
IMOP .. drive in a hill with a large turn .. constant gas onto your engine needed means .. locker engaged .. no diferentiation in the rear diff and it means tires wear ..

A large turn eh? I can take large turn with constant gas and not have my locker lock up. its when i burp the throttle or mash it down is when it locks.

lowtideride said:
A large turn eh? I can take large turn with constant gas and not have my locker lock up. its when i burp the throttle or mash it down is when it locks.

Light gas .. could be ..

Before my ARB setup I pass throught Lock Right, EZ locker and detroit .. all the same thing ..

Up hill with turn, you need gas .. it means locked I hate it ..

other thing that I hate about automatic locker was about, you are in stop and you need to star quikly to your left ( usuall here in Panamá ) crossing to ways ... locked ! damn ! I can remember the sound of my tires goes !

Tapage said:
other thing that I hate about automatic locker was about, you are in stop and you need to star quikly to your left ( usuall here in Panamá ) crossing to ways ... locked ! damn ! I can remember the sound of my tires goes !

250,000 mile 2F engine here........my tires don't make no sound :frown:

jefferson-mo said:
250,000 mile 2F engine here........my tires don't make no sound :frown:

hahaha sorry .. I was talking about the sound in a tight turn with a rear locker " locked "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom