Aussie locker tolerances question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Good sunday morning! My friend Hilux installed the aussie locker in my rear of my '94 yesterday, and the first tolerances measurements were at .07 where the range on the instructions were .06 to .20 My question is, there is racheting in the rear (as I have been prepared for) but do I need to go with a thinner thrust washer to make the tolerances a bit more to the middle of the range, and would that make the racheting sound lighter? Also, is there a "break in period" for the aussie locker? Another thing to add is, my rear drive shaft is pulled right now getting a U-joint replaced, and don't know if that has anything to do with more noise in the turns without torque applied from the rear. Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,

Joel

You should be fine as long as it's within range. .07 is acceptable in my book.

Hey all, do I need to go with a thinner thrust washer to make the tolerances a bit more to the middle of the range, and would that make the racheting sound lighter?

No. It is going to ratchet all the time as long as the wheels have traction. It is just a question of how fast it ratchets and whether you notice it. You tend to notice it more in slow turns.

Also, is there a "break in period" for the aussie locker?

No.

Another thing to add is, my rear drive shaft is pulled right now getting a U-joint replaced, and don't know if that has anything to do with more noise in the turns without torque applied from the rear. Any advice would be appreciated!

Torque doesn't matter up to the point when it is enough to cause the wheel to lose traction. When a wheel slips, both sides lock. Otherwise, one side is driving and the other side is ratcheting. What really does matter is going back and forth between drive and coast in turns. This makes them switch drive sides. You can minimize noise and unpleasant effects by avoiding going from coast to drive in turns (which many people mistake for applying torque). Slow down before the turn and keep steady drive pressure on by slightly accelerating around the turn.

With an Aussie, tighter is better. When I installed one in my 60, the tech at Aussie I called said to build it as tight as it would go together. (And I was able to install it beyond smallest allowable gap) It needs to be nice and tight. You should build it to the specs that are going to perform and wear the best, not to what is more aesthetically pleasing. Side note: FAQ's section about gear oil says to put in a heavier weight gear oil to quiet it down....

Torque doesn't matter up to the point when it is enough to cause the wheel to lose traction. When a wheel slips, both sides lock. Otherwise, one side is driving and the other side is ratcheting. What really does matter is going back and forth between drive and coast in turns. This makes them switch drive sides. You can minimize noise and unpleasant effects by avoiding going from coast to drive in turns (which many people mistake for applying torque). Slow down before the turn and keep steady drive pressure on by slightly accelerating around the turn.

X-abillion

Well... I to be fair, I had a .06 feeler, but it was previously broke off and the barb was almost too big to pass through it...

7 was tight too, but it went through it...

So I want to say between the .06 and .07, the tolerances would be closer to the .06... Before I even droppped the rear, it would break loose... It will ratchet but it is tight too...

We'll figure it out, once we get the shaft back in. I want to pull the front and let TN80 drive it a while like that to get used to the locker... With no chance of any kind of interference or bias coming from the front diff.

You want the tolerances to be tight.
If you use a little heavier weight diff oil it will quiet it a little bit.

Mine runs very quiet. Hardly notice its there, unless driving slow in a parking with the windows down.

of course it'll "run" very quiet... Everything straight is a 1:1...

Mine runs very quiet. Hardly notice its there, unless driving slow in a parking with the windows down.

what were your tolerances?

of course it'll "run" very quiet... Everything straight is a 1:1...

what were your tolerances?

TBH I dont know, I will ask my friend that installed it. He did it while I was on vacation. He said the original washers where within spec, that is all. I just expected it to be louder based on others comments. So far it works great and don't really notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom