Audio upgrade for the 21st century (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bracket is getting closer - it'll screw into the Alpine using the stock screws and VHB onto the Sony head unit as there are not adaptable mounts - given the surface area I'm pretty confident it'll hold up to some abuse using VHB.

[Edit] : I posted to both threads to make the info easily accessible - I'm not selling these they are open source for the community. More to follow as I've some Lexus sun visor mounts to modify to an appropriate Landcruiser angle..

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.30.45 PM.png

Last edited:
You won't need extensions for the Sony head unit either - I did a quick test fit last night and the ones on the amp reach just fine with the bracket.

@jcardona1 when installing the head unit did you wire it to your parking brake or do something else so you could access the screen?

@jcardona1 when installing the head unit did you wire it to your parking brake or do something else so you could access the screen?
Not sure what he did but there are little things you can wire in that trick the head unit into thinking you're in park.
The head units look for an on-off-on signal now so some of the other work arounds dont seem to work anymore.
I used this on my pioneer:
Bypass switch

Ooh looks nice @jcardona1 ! I just got some similar stuff for mine. I got the Alpine ILX207 HU and the 445u powerpack, plus a kicker powered sub now I just have to get home to install it all. Where did you tap for the rear camera reverse signal?

Last edited:
Ooh looks nice @jcardona1 ! I just got some similar stuff for mine. I got the Alpine ILX207 HU and the 445u powerpack, plus a kicker powered sub now I just have to get home to install it all. Where did you tap for the rear camera reverse signal?

The wire is in the lower driver side kick panel. There's some older threads here that show where/how to find it.

I considered that Alpine unit with small amp added to the back. Seems like a good option. OEM Toyota units used a set up like that years ago. I opted for the Sony unit and four new Pioneer speakers to fit under the OEM grills. Sounds fine as I don't need a thumper in this old truck.

690123E9-18B5-4D1F-807B-C491DC69CA70.jpeg

So which Pioneer speakers did you go with @RKTINC?
Not sure I remember the models but they are the models that are recommended here on Mud to fit under OEM door panels. Do a search for 80 Series Pioneer door speakers and I am sure they will surface. Very inexpensive and sound nice.

Is Alpine the only car audio company doing these shallow depth/stackable amp combos?

At CES show Pioneer just announced a modular unit that connects very thin screen via USB cord to the main head unit. This allows the main unit to be placed anywhere in the car and the screen to be placed anywhere via a long or short cord. I can imagine lots of places to stash that flat screen such as the center console or over head in custom vehicles.

Is Alpine the only car audio company doing these shallow depth/stackable amp combos?
You can add them to any head unit. Even factory if you wanted. There are several of these "power packs" on the market. Any with a proprietary connector can be used by just snipping it off.

At CES show Pioneer just announced a modular unit that connects very thin screen via USB cord to the main head unit. This allows the main unit to be placed anywhere in the car and the screen to be placed anywhere via a long or short cord. I can imagine lots of places to stash that flat screen such as the center console or over head in custom vehicles.
I have been looking at this but don't see many adjustable mounting options. Would live to open up the space where the old unit/ AMP and wiring are. Still using the stock stereo so well beyond time for an upgrade.... Liking the option to have it floating without a doubt as one of the reasons I have never pulled the trigger is it seems like the head unit isn't very used friendly from the drivers seat.

If I went with this power pack solution would it run the 4 6.5 inch Alpine door speakers I have + some 4 inch dash speakers? I read in another thread a guy mentioned the dash speakers were setup in parallel with the doors but given they draw such minimal current it's not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom