Atypical Ignition Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
07 lx 198k developed a strange issue this morning. After removing the key the car continued to ding (like the keys were in the ignition), the steering wheel did not retract back as it usually does, and the car would not lock (I assume because it thought the keys were in the ignition). I guess there must be some sensor in the ignition that can tell when the key is present or not??? anyone know anything about this and how to replace it??? Is this even a thing??? Search results came up empty. Thanks!

yes it's a thing. If I remember there's a light ring around the cylinder. Could be the rod is snapped also. Working backwards, dome relay>body ecu>dome fuse. Yes I looked the last part up.
I'd guess the rod snapped, but the key would spin all over in the cylinder- maybe.

Last edited:
i think you may need to find out all the components of the lock system and see what in there is causing the problem. visually when you see what you are dealing with then you can step through troubleshooting the problem. what @jerryb maybe on the right track.

I tried looking you the components of the ignition wiring diagram but I could not find the exact version of it.. but I think this google search link will get you to the exact diagram you need to look for and troubleshoot better

I'm thinking that it is the "key warning switch" aka " "unlock warning switch". The ignition still functions normally otherwise so I don't think the rod is snapped. Also the fault is intermittent. When it occurs I can insert and remove the key a time or two and the problem stops. It seems that it only sticks after having the key inserted for a bit such as after a drive. I can't replicate the problem just inserting and removing the key. It seems to me that maybe there is a mechanical fault and the switch that senses the key is getting stuck and thinks the key is there when it isn't. There are instructions in the fsm on how to test the electrical components of the switch however I expect the part to pass this since I think it is the mechanism that is getting hung up. First step I'm going to hit the key slot with a little WD40. Next I think Ill order the switch and swap it out. This post seems to be on the same track I am. 100 Series Ignition Weak Spots - Foreknowledge and Preventive Maintenance options. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-ignition-weak-spots-foreknowledge-and-preventive-maintenance-options.1186173/

Last edited:
To close the loop on this the slot just needed lubrication. Initially I tried the graphite stuff for locks which didn't help. Second I hit it with wd40 and I've been good since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom