Attic Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Throwing this out to the Dixieland Brain Trust: I contacted Landcruiser Phil about purchasing one of his attic racks for my 100 and he told me they stopped selling them because the shipping was a killer. See 100 Series Attic Racks available for the holiday *limited supply for pictures and description. So I figured I would make a home-brew solution, but still want it to look clean and be sturdy. I ordered and received this grid for $25 shipped which looks exactly like what Phil was using: Wire Mesh Deck 48"Wx18"D *. It's stout.

Now I'm looking for a source for brackets to either be welded to the ends of the grid or drilled out and attached with small u-bolts. I figured some of you folks with 100s or 80s might be interested in brainstorming this with me since it's a fairly small investment for more interior storage space. There are several posts in both the 100 and 80 forums re: attic racks. The prevailing thought is that a 48"x 18" grid is best for a 100 and a 48" x 24" grid is best for an 80. There's a company called Delta that makes the brackets for the 80, but they're not showing the 100 any love: FJ80 Ceiling Storage Brackets. Also, different year 100s have different rear handle setups for connecting the brackets. I believe the pictures in the 100 forum link above are of 2003+ 100s (which is what I have).

Any thoughts for a clean solution welcome!

*Edited to try to fix link for $25 grid. You have to copy and paste link or it's item # WQ933CP25 on the site.

Last edited:
Throwing this out to the Dixieland Brain Trust: I contacted Landcruiser Phil about purchasing one of his attic racks for my 100 and he told me they stopped selling them because the shipping was a killer. See 100 Series Attic Racks available for the holiday *limited supply for pictures and description. So I figured I would make a home-brew solution, but still want it to look clean and be sturdy. I ordered and received this grid for $25 shipped which looks exactly like what Phil was using: Wire Mesh Deck 48"Wx18"D *. It's stout.

Now I'm looking for a source for brackets to either be welded to the ends of the grid or drilled out and attached with small u-bolts. I figured some of you folks with 100s or 80s might be interested in brainstorming this with me since it's a fairly small investment for more interior storage space. There are several posts in both the 100 and 80 forums re: attic racks. The prevailing thought is that a 48"x 18" grid is best for a 100 and a 48" x 24" grid is best for an 80. There's a company called Delta that makes the brackets for the 80, but they're not showing the 100 any love: FJ80 Ceiling Storage Brackets. Also, different year 100s have different rear handle setups for connecting the brackets. I believe the pictures in the 100 forum link above are of 2003+ 100s (which is what I have).

*Edited to try to fix link for $25 grid. You have to copy and paste link or it's item # WQ933CP25 on the site.
thanks. I may grab one to see what I can come up with. I saw some of these and homemade racks at HIH and thought about getting one but the price was a little too high IMO. It looks like his bracket is flat steel plate tack welded to the wire rack.

blue ridge makes a soft attic rack as well
Landcruiser Attic

I’ve got a welder and decent welding skills, so if we can figure out the bracket I can help with mounting to the wire rack.

From the sale thread. Seems easy to piece together the simple brackets.

img_7624-1-jpg.1381474

img_7579-1-jpg.1360486

img_7578-1-jpg.1360487

@Bama4door you may need to check the rear handles in your rig - I don't think the straight, flat brackets like those pictured will work for both sides on yours.

I don't have access to a welder (or the required welding skills) or a way to cut sheet metal, so the brackets are where I was hoping for some collective problem-solving/sourcing in my original post.

I contacted the Delta guys - offered to be a tester for attic rack brackets if they decide to make them for the 100. Here is their response:

We are more in need of a vehicle actually in the shop to scan and measure. Supposed to have one in the shop before the end of the month, so it shouldn’t be long.

Thanks,
Dave Schenker
Delta Vehicle Systems
http://deltavs.com
So it looks like brackets are in the works for the 100. They sell the unfinished ones for the 80 series for about $38 shipped, so I anticipate the ones for the 100 will be similarly priced.

Did you ever get the grid in?

Oh - misunderstood your question. I've had the grid all along - said it was ordered and received in first post. It's coated with gray epoxy and looks exactly like the pictures you posted above from the sale thread without brackets. Seems heavy duty and is already the right size.

Oh - misunderstood your question. I've had the grid all along - said it was ordered and received in first post. It's coated with gray epoxy and looks exactly like the pictures you posted above from the sale thread without brackets. Seems heavy duty and is already the right size.

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom