Attaching late (85+) tranny crossmember to early 60 frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for information on attaching a late (ie 85+) tranny support cross member to an early frame. Understand that early bellhousing/crossmember holds tranny in straight alignment while late is clocked 9 deg CCW (due to 3F BH and crossmember design). Also understand that early crossmember bolts to frame brackets that are bolted to the frame while late crossmember bolts in to brackets that are welded vs bolted to the frame and the fit between crossmember ends and the brackets is different (ie early has matching contours that fit together and late is basically flat ).

All that said, has anyone installed a late crossmember into an early truck to end up with proper location and clocked orientation support for an h55 attached via a 3F BH)? Have heard that later crossmember brackets may be available from toyota to then be welded onto the frame? Or could seek used set that had been cut off a donor truck. Or probably not too hard to fab, articularly since basically flat interface?

thanks

Putting an 85-87 crossmember on a 81-84 shouldn't be too hard at all. I would just fab up brackets from scratch. Just make two plates with the 4-bolt pattern in each, weld those to the frame and then add some nice gussets and you're done. I just did one like this a few weeks ago for a 350/NV4500 conversion into a 81-84 FJ60, I used an FJ62 crossmember but the concept is the same.

X2 on just using a square plate, or other option is to use angle iron, 4 pieces

other option is to use the older bellhousing and 3 piece crossmember, the 3F bellhousing and 1 piece crossmember are not needed to install an H55

X2 on just using a square plate, or other option is to use angle iron, 4 pieces

other option is to use the older bellhousing and 3 piece crossmember, the 3F bellhousing and 1 piece crossmember are not needed to install an H55

3pup - yes, if h55 would be behind a 2f ... other options share same location/orientation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom