Early 60 T-case input shaft question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
Reassembling what I believe is a 1983 t- case (5th gear oiler provision, but no extra bolt hole). Wondering about the order of the things that go on it.

Is this the order? Item in question is the small collar/sleeve closest to the transmission. It’s about the same as the sleeve where the PTO gear would go, but much shorter.
D9086118-D092-4C7F-AA5A-E28208C54734.jpeg

4D91D727-2B2E-4B63-A7D5-F839E5F459CD.jpeg

On the later setups with the cast iron spacer between the transmission and split case - both 4 and 5spd - there is a bearing at the back of the spacer. The front of the split case is machined about 1cm deep for that bearing, even in the early cases without the cast iron spacer and without that extra bearing. My guess is that this small sleeve is there to space the input gear back from the transmission so that it aligns with the oil seal properly, as if the bearing were there. Without the small sleeve, the input gear could ride forward and potentially chew up the seal or the case.

Do I have this right?

@CenTXFJ60 tagging you for research purposes.

Yes you have it right bud.

Please post a couple of pics of the input gear. I’d like to see the front and back side.

You know you’re always welcome to reach out to me if you need tech support …..

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Please post a couple of pics of the input gear. I’d like to see the front and back side.

I appreciate it Georg, but I like to keep simpler questions to forum posts as not to time soak experts on stuff that's 101-level. Trust me, if I'm in a serious pickle or have a deep head scratcher, I'll ping ya haha!

Input gear is going in the trash per our PM last week. Chipped teeth and a deep groove in the seal surface. I'm calling Roark today to buy the long-spline input gear that will replace the PTO gear spacer too. I just laid it out like this for simplicity's sake (and because I don't have the long splined gear yet). I know the long-spline gear's longer end goes where the PTO spacer currently sits.

I assume you were asking the question to make sure I'm putting the machined seal surface towards the transmission, right?

@CenTXFJ60 See answer above. Next time you see an early case and you're NOT putting in a 5spd, here's the proper order. Just like we guessed.

Last edited:
Did not realize you’re getting the new input gear. You’ll love it. And, as always…love learning new stuff. To your point, I’ve never rebuilt a case onto an early trans. Have always stripped the case to put it on a 5-speed so had no idea about the small spacer.

Did not realize you’re getting the new input gear. You’ll love it. And, as always…love learning new stuff. To your point, I’ve never rebuilt a case onto an early trans. Have always stripped the case to put it on a 5-speed so had no idea about the small spacer.
That’s pretty rich-blooded of you Jimmy! I’m still here in the 4spd zone due to budget restraints that never seem to ease up 🤣

Got my tracking number on the long spline input gear from @orangefj45 about 3 minutes ago. Can’t wait to get this project back rolling.

That’s pretty rich-blooded of you Jimmy! I’m still here in the 4spd zone due to budget restraints that never seem to ease up 🤣

Got my tracking number on the long spline input gear from @orangefj45 about 3 minutes ago. Can’t wait to get this project back rolling.
Our office manager Michelle just went to the post office to make sure your order shipped today; USPS picked up a couple of hours ago.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Happy to help!

Ha. Back when I could afford it I did buy an H55 for my 60. All the ones I’ve done since then are jobs for other truck owners. And I lied now that I think about it…I have rebuilt a few cases onto 4-speeds, but they were 85 & up trucks. I do love learning new things every day and appreciate your sharing with me along the way. this will pay dividends as Iv’e been saving one of the shorty 4-speeds for a conversion on a 40 one day. Especially if I do the split case.

Ha. Back when I could afford it I did buy an H55 for my 60. All the ones I’ve done since then are jobs for other truck owners. And I lied now that I think about it…I have rebuilt a few cases onto 4-speeds, but they were 85 & up trucks. I do love learning new things every day and appreciate your sharing with me along the way. this will pay dividends as Iv’e been saving one of the shorty 4-speeds for a conversion on a 40 one day. Especially if I do the split case.
Just giving you a hard time my man. You do great work!

Thanks to @orangefj45 and his crew, especially Michelle for getting me a new transfer case input gear. I opted for some extra spline engagement since I don’t have a PTO. Clutch MC ordered too, since it’s a little wet on the inside of the firewall behind the current (original) MC. Thanks Georg!
5E86C538-2737-4DDB-BE48-5AD6B624ED45.jpeg

Apologies for the messy workbench. I have about 6 projects happening there right now.

Just like that broke down by the porta-potty in camp at the Roundup. Georg blessed my cruiser, quite honored. It needed some holy water.

Sorry Jim didn’t mean to interject but have looked for a place to post this

IMG_1640.jpeg

Finally back at it. So this spacer … the FSM says “fit the collar groove securely over the locking ball”. There is a pocket for a ball bearing in the splined shaft coming out of the transmission, however there is no groove on the inner diameter of the spacer- what Toyota is calling a “collar”. And it has a ton of play on the shaft, it’s not a tight fit at all.

AD9685A1-7F65-450F-B79F-A7A5C2629489.jpeg

So now what? Send it? Perhaps the input gear and everything else gets snugged up with the nut and the collar doesn’t wobble around. But to find out I have to essentially glue the gasket and bolt the front half of the t-case on. Trying to be patient here…

That’s the right spacer.
Only the early ( 08/80-82 ) split case had a longer spacer with a smaller ( machined and polished to create the input seal surface ) OD that was notched for the check-ball. The second generation split cases 1983/84 used this shorter spacer with a larger OD since the seal surface is incorporated in the input gear.

There’s also very limited 80-84 transfer case knowledge
That’s the right spacer.
Only the early ( 08/80-82 ) split case had a longer spacer with a smaller ( machined and polished to create the input seal surface ) OD that was notched for the check-ball. The second generation split cases 1983/84 used this shorter spacer with a larger OD since the seal surface is incorporated in the input gear.

I am positive - as far as what I’ve read anyway - that this case is an 83. So the very early ones through 11/82 actually sealed on that spacer and not on the machines surface of the input gear. Wild.

I wonder if all the H42s have that pocket on the output shaft for the ball, despite Toyota’s design changing to get rid of it. I also wonder what I’ll find when I pull the original t-case off my 11/82.

So @orangefj45, go ahead and run this? The slop gets taken out when the rear nut gets tightened?

Thanks for shining a light on these early ones - very little specific information on Mud, the web, or YouTube.

Run it.

The early split case input gear did NOT have a machined seal surface.

11:30PM and we’ve got progress, I’m calling it a night. Hopefully less tricky from here.

A7AE1EB8-217E-4DDC-83F6-8F1B4ABDBEB2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom