Attaching ARB awning to Yakima rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting how I did this in case it's useful for anyone else.

I plan to buy a proper rack within the next year or so (thinking Front Runner). But in the meantime, I have my ol' Yakima round bars.

I bought the ARB brackets from 4WheelParts. I went with the newer, beefier part #813402 rather than the older, flimsier looking #813401. Here are the links:
- ARB Awning Bracket - 813402
- ARB Awning Bracket - 813401

Then I went to Home Depot and bought U-bolt pipe fittings and the metric bolts/nuts that go in the ARB awning. I'm not going to post all of the part numbers, but hopefully you can see them in the pics.

Rattle can painted it black to match.

Little makeshift, but it feels solid and I think it will work ok!

Charley

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8476.jpg

IMG_8477.jpg

IMG_8478.jpg

Nice adaptation idea! Front Runner racks are great. I bolt all sorts of stuff to the top, bottom, and sides, like a big adult Lego set. If you buy new, make sure you receive all the parts from Front Runner. Their QC isn't so good as somebody can't count in that department. Due to rusting issues, I also replaced all their Button Head Hex Drive Screws with 316 Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Drive Screws, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 25mm Long, packs of 10 from McMaster-Carr. P/N: 94500A245 .

I just mounted mine that way yesterday using the "drill through" method. The steel in the bars is hard, but with the right drill bit you should not have a problem. The plastic coating helps somewhat to keep the drill bit aligned. If you do it with the rack on the truck, I would definitely use a step ladder so you get the right angle while drilling and the bit does not slide off.

One note, I did mount my brackets facing "up" as opposed to down to provide greater head clearance at the door.

This is a modified mount I made. It was originally smaller for my ARB, but has been modified bigger for my Batwing.

20190527_065959-sm.jpg

Definitely a cleaner look. Was it difficult to drill the crossbars?
I thought I had responded. No, it was pretty easy. I use cobalt bits for work so they cut quickly. I did them by hand because I'm fairly good at straight plunges. If I was OCD like some others I would have put the bars in my drill press and done them all Norm Abrams and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom