Attached Garage Construction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking at these guys for years. I'm almost to the point of getting serious about it. They seem to be avoiding the recent increase in wood prices. Maybe b/c they mill their own lumber for their kits.

Everyhting has doubled in price... the cats I was going to buy last year are now time and a half more. Ridiculous.

$300/sqft for buildings is about an equal ratio to what I use for estimates on trucks and repairs with my wife. She hasn’t caught on yet.

Btw, don’t tell her that her new battery wasn’t $375...

Everyhting has doubled in price... the cats I was going to buy last year are now time and a half more. Ridiculous.
You can have mine, but they’re 10 years old and one currently has a bladder infection.

Just wait until covid is over. Everyone is buying pets right now which sadly means there will surely be many up for adoption when life goes back to normal. I put a deposit down on a puppy right when this started last March and now the price has doubled (luckily not for me though).

You can have mine, but they’re 10 years old and one currently has a bladder infection.
Just wait until covid is over. Everyone is buying pets right now which sadly means there will surely be many up for adoption when life goes back to normal. I put a deposit down on a puppy right when this started last March and now the price has doubled (luckily not for me though).
ROFL... I mean cats as catalytic converters. :rofl:

ROFL... I mean cats as catalytic converters. :rofl:
Yep. Everyone knows that you can get cats for free out by the dumpster, but you oddly can't return them there.

Hmm. Need to figure out why I have no emoji button anymore...

Yep. Everyone knows that you can get cats for free out by the dumpster, but you oddly can't return them there.

Hmm. Need to figure out why I have no emoji button anymore...
Look at the 3 dots... they are hiding there. 😁

Nope. Clicking any of them just inserts more space between the icons and the text line. This happened to me once before but I can't recall how I got them back. They're gone on my phone, on Safari, and on Chrome. See pic. I think building a garage would be easier than trying to solve this mystery.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 12.01.34 PM.png

EDIT: Isn't there a toilet joke about 3 seashells? From a Stallone movie, maybe? Hmm.

Nope. Clicking any of them just inserts more space between the icons and the text line. This happened to me once before but I can't recall how I got them back. They're gone on my phone, on Safari, and on Chrome. See pic. I think building a garage would be easier than trying to solve this mystery.

View attachment 2604052

EDIT: Isn't there a toilet joke about 3 seashells? From a Stallone movie, maybe? Hmm.
Did you piss someone off? :rofl:

We spoke last week and he really is screwed zoning wise. No chance of attached because there is no side yard setback, plus a sewer easement. Never mess with sewer easements because if you encroach without a permit, you will get nailed and forced to remove. Detached was highly problematic because the yard has odd lot lines and there is no driveway path to the detached garage with no space on the side lot lines.

I can comment realistically on costs of detached garages. I’ve built many and a 20x20 is about the minimum size you can even consider for a two car garage. At current prices for very basic stud walls, turndown slab, 8’ double door and basic electricity, you are probably looking at 60k. A proper foundation on a level lot will be 10-12k and that’s the easiest part to try and sub out. If you are dry walling the interior walls, painting, sub panel, windows, floor coating, ceiling fan, good lighting etc, you can easily sniff 100k on a build like this in NVA. That’s $250/ft sq for a nice build. I know it sounds crazy, but that’s what it’s gonna cost, but keep in mind this is full service. Permits taken care of, 3 week build soup to nuts and all done. You can do it in small stages and tinker around for months or more than a year, but most likely unless you really know how to manage a project like this, you are gonna get overwhelmed and flounder. Plus no matter how you try and do something like this, you are looking at 25k in materials before anything gets built, if you can get a decent deal on materials. Plus don’t underestimate your side costs like getting it drawn up and permitted. None of that is easy unless you are familiar with navigating the whole permit approval system and know how to do structural designs and draw plans. You can’t just download this kind of stuff from the internet and go and try to pull a permit. Obviously it can be cheaper outside of expensive NVA, but if you try and sub each stage of the build out in pieces you are probably headed for disaster. That’s a dangerous game to try and play unless you have good connections because adding up coordinating lots of small parts, vs hiring a contractor with all the chess pieces in place is a risky and slow way to try and save money. I’ve seen countless people fail at this and need to be rescued.

We spoke last week and he really is screwed zoning wise. No chance of attached because there is no side yard setback, plus a sewer easement. Never mess with sewer easements because if you encroach without a permit, you will get nailed and forced to remove. Detached was highly problematic because the yard has odd lot lines and there is no driveway path to the detached garage with no space on the side lot lines.

I can comment realistically on costs of detached garages. I’ve built many and a 20x20 is about the minimum size you can even consider for a two car garage. At current prices for very basic stud walls, turndown slab, 8’ double door and basic electricity, you are probably looking at 60k. A proper foundation on a level lot will be 10-12k and that’s the easiest part to try and sub out. If you are dry walling the interior walls, painting, sub panel, windows, floor coating, ceiling fan, good lighting etc, you can easily sniff 100k on a build like this in NVA. That’s $250/ft sq for a nice build. I know it sounds crazy, but that’s what it’s gonna cost, but keep in mind this is full service. Permits taken care of, 3 week build soup to nuts and all done. You can do it in small stages and tinker around for months or more than a year, but most likely unless you really know how to manage a project like this, you are gonna get overwhelmed and flounder. Plus no matter how you try and do something like this, you are looking at 25k in materials before anything gets built, if you can get a decent deal on materials. Plus don’t underestimate your side costs like getting it drawn up and permitted. None of that is easy unless you are familiar with navigating the whole permit approval system and know how to do structural designs and draw plans. You can’t just download this kind of stuff from the internet and go and try to pull a permit. Obviously it can be cheaper outside of expensive NVA, but if you try and sub each stage of the build out in pieces you are probably headed for disaster. That’s a dangerous game to try and play unless you have good connections because adding up coordinating lots of small parts, vs hiring a contractor with all the chess pieces in place is a risky and slow way to try and save money. I’ve seen countless people fail at this and need to be rescued.

Local guy over in Annandale and trying to figure out a ballpark for a detached garage / office. This is helpful and eye opening. Maybe my 8x20 shed isn't so bad after all...

The starting point is to find the plat of your property and talk with the zoning department to determine your setbacks. That will give you the allowable building envelope. Do not use information from friends or a cousin or a know it all across the street. You want reliable information to determine where your allowable building envelope is.

Even if you build a detached garage, sometimes the zoning or covenants will require it to look similar to your house or it can only be so big.

Do your homework before you go down a path too far

then plan on $300 a square foot. If you aren’t scared away yet, now you have a budget and you will be within it. Yes, I know $300 a square foot is high, but it is easier to add things into a big budget than to add things into a blown budget.

Good info, but double check what zoning tells you.

The previous owner of my house wanted to build a large detached garage (aka an accessory building). Zoning here only allows accessory building to be 50% the foot print of the house (primary building) very much limiting the size of the garage. So he submitted a plan for a 2 story garage. Zoning said no. He pressed the issue and they could not cite any regulation that would not allow 2-stories.

Which zoning takes precedence? I think my zoning is R1 but the 30 year plan states 1 dwelling per 2-5 acres. I'm sitting on just over 2.5 acres so I'm hoping to build a sizeable barn/workshop/garage.

Which zoning takes precedence? I think my zoning is R1 but the 30 year plan states 1 dwelling per 2-5 acres. I'm sitting on just over 2.5 acres so I'm hoping to build a sizeable barn/workshop/garage.

The answer can only come from your AHJ.

I've tried to research (on my own) any limitations I may face adding on to my detached garage in Loudoun. The regs are complex and seemingly contradictory. A trip down to the county bldg will be in order at some point, I guess.

I believe a dwelling is a house. In my area it’s the same but it is because of the septic. A barn/garage is not a dwelling. No bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom