Arm rest for the 80 series that works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasJack

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been driving my 80 series since 1997. I have made some very long trips and grew tired of not having an arm rest. I bought my wife a 2007 LX 470 (100 series Landcruiser) and right away I noticed the increased comfort an arm rest affords. At the end of December (27th) I saw a post by Toy4Fun2 in the thread "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" where he showed an armrest he installed and I thought I might be able to make it work. I ordered one from eBay and modified the installation to make it stronger and to better fit my body dimensions.

Here is the armrest on eBay: US Black Leatherette Center Console Armrest Box Set Adjustable Universal Fit 7M | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Black-Leatherette-Center-Console-Armrest-Box-Set-Adjustable-Universal-Fit-7M/393075584118?hash=item5b85216c76:g:jlkAAOSwTZ9eDqTm

I bought black because it better matches with the tan and black interior than grey.

The first thing I noticed was that the frame provided doesn't really work well with the shape of the Landcruiser floor so I took a hint from Toy4Fun2 and mounted it to the console in the same fashion he had. On my first ride, I leaned too hard on it and cracked the underframe that was provided to mount it to the console. I was about to mail it back but thought I could potentially make it work. I used Gorilla glue and sealed up the crack. I cut a piece of wood into a 4" x 5 3/4" x 2" block and sanded it smooth. I purchased three 6 inch bolts with nuts and lock washers at home depot as well as about 20 large washers. I painted the block of wood black to match the arm rest and frame. I then removed the entire console from the vehicle and mounted the armrest onto the console. The result is a very strong arm rest I believe will last. It is equally as comfortable as the driver's arm rest in our 100 series and I am very satisfied with the outcome. Here are some photos with comments about the specifics of the install:
IMG_1151.JPG

As you can see in this photo, the arm rest is higher than the console. I stand 5' 10" and this armrest sits exactly as high as the armrests sit in our 100 series. I also mounted it further back on my second attempt because it was too far forward on the first shot.
IMG_1160.JPG

here are 3 bolts installed and they are located 3 1/8", 5" and 6 1/4" from the inside rear of the console box. The top 2 bolts are located 1 1/2 inches deep from the top edge of the bottom console section and the bottom bolt is located 2 inches deep.
IMG_1159.JPG

I set the middle bolt deeper because I used more washers on the top 2 bolts between the console and arm rest frame in order to get the arm rest to sit straight up and down and keep the lids from banging into each other. ( 7 washers on the top and 3 on the bottom) See pic below:

IMG_1158.JPG

I also removed a portion of the plastic frame when I installed it with the bolts because it wasn't serving a purpose. I cut it evenly with the block of wood I inserted to make this a solid setup:
20210223_175518.jpg

2 Key points I almost forgot to include. The drivers seat moves forward and backwards with no problems. The seat belt is a little pinched in but it hasn't presented any comfort or usage problems. The only downside is that the parking brake doesn't fully engage. I plan to shorten the pull so that will work effectively.

Last edited:
A small correction. I think you mean to say LX470 (100 series) not LX450. LX450 is an 80 and although it has some annoying things about it is that the center console is higher and works well for an armrest. People often rip them out and put in a regular land cruiser console. I like the higher center for the armrest.

How hard is it for you to access the e-brake?

Yes, I was editing my post and making that correction when you posted your correction. Thanks!

You mean the parking break? I can fully grab the handle. It just won't go up all the way. I plan to tighten it up so I can set it effectively.

I had a similar problem for my 1996 LX450 but used a decidedly low tech solution. Just put in a soft yoga block, which fits nicely in the slot. I can move it forward or sit it on the square bit that sits out from the center console, which I think was a change holder since for this model the area in front of the center console is a speaker while in a TLC 80 series it is a change holder. In any case, it works well and my next project is to cut a square bit out of the block and fit it into the change holder. Something along those lines.

I used a couch cushion for years but got tired of it taking up room when not in use.

I’m surprised no one hasn’t fabricated a bracket to that bolts to the center console so you can attach the FJ Cruiser armrest 08471-35810.

It’s built for the passenger side, but would face the proper direction. Its adjustable and there’s oodles of aftermarket covers for them

4022CAD4-84C2-4FED-AF0F-B85780B76048.jpeg

Totally off topic, but how is your Pistol Box secured in your console.

I had a Console Vault in my 5th gen 4Runner and have been looking for something for my 80.

Reactions: KTP
I’m surprised no one hasn’t fabricated a bracket to that bolts to the center console so you can attach the FJ Cruiser armrest 08471-35810.

It’s built for the passenger side, but would face the proper direction. Its adjustable and there’s oodles of aftermarket covers for them

View attachment 2595170
I like what I have done but I am always
Totally off topic, but how is your Pistol Box secured in your console.

I had a Console Vault in my 5th gen 4Runner and have been looking for something for my 80.
It bolts in using the same holes your console bolts in with. I bought slightly longer bolts that would be long enough and then used washers so it would tighten down. It is very secure. You would need a blow torch to break into it......just not worth the time and risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTP

View attachment 2595170

I've done this using an arm rest from an old Range Rover classic. I can't seem to find the pics right now

I have had the idea of utilizing the Cupholder on the side of the center console and creating an armrest that inserts into it. I designed it up on Fusion 360 and 3D printed it? I LOVE IT. can it use some edits and revisions? yes. But is anyone interested in this? I couldn't stomach the idea of defacing the 30 year old plastics and drilling into my seat. I can maybe share the STL file or more photos if there is interest.
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.00.31 PM.png

Interested. Do you have pics of it in place?

saw this idea, was wondering if anyone also was making something like this arm rest that uses the seats bolts and not the flimsy center console??

Interesting that this popped up today. The solution I installed above did not work. The arm broke off the base because I leaned on it slightly too hard. I have since put in a new one and I will post pictures tomorrow.

I have been driving my 80 series since 1997. I have made some very long trips and grew tired of not having an arm rest. I bought my wife a 2007 LX 470 (100 series Landcruiser) and right away I noticed the increased comfort an arm rest affords. At the end of December (27th) I saw a post by Toy4Fun2 in the thread "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" where he showed an armrest he installed and I thought I might be able to make it work. I ordered one from eBay and modified the installation to make it stronger and to better fit my body dimensions.

Here is the armrest on eBay: US Black Leatherette Center Console Armrest Box Set Adjustable Universal Fit 7M | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Black-Leatherette-Center-Console-Armrest-Box-Set-Adjustable-Universal-Fit-7M/393075584118?hash=item5b85216c76:g:jlkAAOSwTZ9eDqTm

I bought black because it better matches with the tan and black interior than grey.

The first thing I noticed was that the frame provided doesn't really work well with the shape of the Landcruiser floor so I took a hint from Toy4Fun2 and mounted it to the console in the same fashion he had. On my first ride, I leaned too hard on it and cracked the underframe that was provided to mount it to the console. I was about to mail it back but thought I could potentially make it work. I used Gorilla glue and sealed up the crack. I cut a piece of wood into a 4" x 5 3/4" x 2" block and sanded it smooth. I purchased three 6 inch bolts with nuts and lock washers at home depot as well as about 20 large washers. I painted the block of wood black to match the arm rest and frame. I then removed the entire console from the vehicle and mounted the armrest onto the console. The result is a very strong arm rest I believe will last. It is equally as comfortable as the driver's arm rest in our 100 series and I am very satisfied with the outcome. Here are some photos with comments about the specifics of the install:
View attachment 2594481

As you can see in this photo, the arm rest is higher than the console. I stand 5' 10" and this armrest sits exactly as high as the armrests sit in our 100 series. I also mounted it further back on my second attempt because it was too far forward on the first shot.
View attachment 2594487

here are 3 bolts installed and they are located 3 1/8", 5" and 6 1/4" from the inside rear of the console box. The top 2 bolts are located 1 1/2 inches deep from the top edge of the bottom console section and the bottom bolt is located 2 inches deep.
View attachment 2594499

I set the middle bolt deeper because I used more washers on the top 2 bolts between the console and arm rest frame in order to get the arm rest to sit straight up and down and keep the lids from banging into each other. ( 7 washers on the top and 3 on the bottom) See pic below:

View attachment 2594493

I also removed a portion of the plastic frame when I installed it with the bolts because it wasn't serving a purpose. I cut it evenly with the block of wood I inserted to make this a solid setup:
View attachment 2594518

2 Key points I almost forgot to include. The drivers seat moves forward and backwards with no problems. The seat belt is a little pinched in but it hasn't presented any comfort or usage problems. The only downside is that the parking brake doesn't fully engage. I plan to shorten the pull so that will work effectively.
Which pistol safe is that?

Is it the "Personal Pistol Box?"

This is my invention and works great!!!! And yes you all can copy it if you want. :)View attachment 2962005
I work in criminal defense, and I must say that looks like a photo out of one of my cases. I would love to see the look on a cop's face when he looked past your body and saw that. "WTH?" Slowly reaches for his firearm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom