Are you interested in cat protection kit for LC100? (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in purchasing a cat protection kit?

• Yes, I want it ASAP

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, if the price is right

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • I don't really need one

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I already have a custom one made

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (Reply in comments)

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently working on a design spec (CAD project) to cutout catalytic converter protection plates out of stainless steel on a CNC machine.

Question to all of you: Are you interested in purchasing catalytic converter protection kits if we end up producing them? Machine shops usually have discounts when producing parts in bulk. (e.g. if we order one kit, it will be $$$$ per kit, but if we order 20, then it will be 60% of the price of one.)

I'm just trying to gauge interest in the community to see if anyone is interested. We are trying to aim at sub $600 cost but it depends on the metal cost + shop cost.

What additional theft protection would your kit provide that an aftermarket belly skid plate doesn't provide?

At that price point you're better off just designing a skid plate that also covers enough to deter theft (as other vendors have either discontinued altogether or halted production).

The Slee belly skid is $600-$700 plus $300 freight, coming to Texas at least. What would this one run?

Thanks all for your questions and comments. Replying below:

What additional theft protection would your kit provide that an aftermarket belly skid plate doesn't provide?
It depends on a skid plate. Not all of them do full coverage and most of them are not specifically designed with cat protection in mind. Usually, skid plates do not have side wings, so cats can still be reached. Both skid plates and cat plates act as a protection+deterrent, so if you have a full-length skid plate installed, this may be a good alternative.

At that price point you're better off just designing a skid plate that also covers enough to deter theft (as other vendors have either discontinued altogether or halted production).
I agree with Kwon-offroad - $600 may be in the price range of a good mid-skid plate, that's why I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do it cheaper in bulk or if produced offshore. (Currently, it is hard to calculate the final price before we discuss it with several manufacturers, and who knows what else is going to happen in the world in the next 3-6 months.) We definitely want to do it sub 600 including shipping but maybe we can do it cheaper. It just requires a good amount of sheet metal and we are gauging interest.

The Slee belly skid is $600-$700 plus $300 freight, coming to Texas at least. What would this one run?

We aim at sub $600 including shipping in the lower 48. But final pricing won't be available for at least a month. Still gauging interest in the LC community.

I would think it needs to be strong enough to act as a functional skid at that price. I just paid $1k to have my cats replaced. I couldn't see spending ~60%of that amount for the sole purpose of protecting the cats.
Doesnt comprehensive insurance cover theft or did you have a $1000 deductible?

I think a skid plate with the side plates you mentioned would be the perfect compromise and would be a no-brainer for folks seeking aftermarket skid plates. Especially since the practicality would help justify the cost.

The ASFIR belly skid is about $460 shipped to your door and covers the cats frame rail to frame rail.

1652452683126.png

Last edited:
I would think it needs to be strong enough to act as a functional skid at that price. I just paid $1k to have my cats replaced. I couldn't see spending ~60%of that amount for the sole purpose of protecting the cats.
I think a skid plate with the side plates you mentioned would be the perfect compromise and would be a no-brainer for folks seeking aftermarket skid plates. Especially since the practicality would help justify the cost.
Good points, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The ASFIR belly skid is about $460 shipped to your door and covers the cats frame rail to frame rail.
Sounds like a good deal. Which one covers cats rail to rail? LX 470 - LX - Lexus - Manufacturers - https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/lexus/lx/lx470.html I don't see $460 price point on any of these.

Good points, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sounds like a good deal. Which one covers cats rail to rail? LX 470 - LX - Lexus - Manufacturers - https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/lexus/lx/lx470.html I don't see $460 price point on any of these.

This one would probably cover them

Doesnt comprehensive insurance cover theft or did you have a $1000 deductible?
Mine weren't stolen, just old and clogged.

My deductible is $500 but even if they were stolen, I wouldn't see it being worth it to file a claim over $500. Imo.

The ASFIR middle skid does cover the cats well. You could easily use security fasteners instead of standard bolts. Someone would have to work around or cut out sections of the torsion bars and skid support bar. If they've gone through that trouble, they've earned it. Or I've shot them because the noise woke me up and I felt threatened. 🤷

IMO this is a good idea, but the product already exists with what may be more functionality and a better price.

Last edited:
Mine weren't stolen, just old and clogged.

My deductible is $500 but even if they were stolen, I wouldn't see it being worth it to file a claim over $500. Imo.

The ASFIR middle skid does cover the cats well. You could easily use security fasteners instead of standard bolts. Someone would have to work around or cut out sections of the torsion bars and skid support bar. If they've gone through that trouble, they've earned it. Or I've shot them because the noise woke me up and I felt threatened. 🤷

IMO this is a good idea, but the product already exists with what may be more functionality and a better price.

It's tricky to create a valuable cat protection plate that is not a skid plate.

My guess is you'd have to be sub ~$300 shipped to have a viable product.
Good points, thanks for sharing. Based on this post, it sounds like the main difference between tacoma, prius, etc and an LC is that LC has a lot of aftermarket skid plates available. I suspect that is the main reason why other popular models have cat protection kits available but not LC.
Somebody else was working on this just a couple of months ago, but the thread went quiet. DIY Cat Skid Plate - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-cat-skid-plate.1280415/
Thanks, this thread has some interesting points.

Good points, thanks for sharing. Based on this post, it sounds like the main difference between tacoma, prius, etc and an LC is that LC has a lot of aftermarket skid plates available. I suspect that is the main reason why other popular models have cat protection kits available but not LC.

Thanks, this thread has some interesting points.
I wouldn’t say that there are “lots” of aftermarket skid plate options. Off the top of my head, I can think of Slee, BIOR, Asfir, and Dissent (out of production for now). Probably less options than what is available for the Tacoma or 4Runner. I suspect the production numbers have more to do with “cat protection kits” than skid plate availability.

I would be interested in the cheapest option possible, with sole purpose of the design being to deter theft. I feel anything that slows down the thief a few minutes would probably deter the average criminal from taking the cats, they'd just move on to an easier car. Doesn't have to be structural, look pretty, work as a skid plate - just cheap and deter CAT theft. The ASFIR price, if really $460, is close but still a bit high if only wanting CAT theft protection.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom