Are you a machinist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased an older Jet 1340 metal lathe and am looking to learn how to use it.

If you are an experienced lathe operator who would not mind spending an hour or so with me to cover the basics I would appreciate it and be willing to compensate you for your time.

Thanks! Mike (480) 208-8882

Oh my Lord what is Mikey up to now!? :hmm:

:hillbilly:

IMG_1471.JPG

Cool. Electric?

Part of the reason for the lathe.

I designed and build a custom fat tire rear tricycle housing that has a working differential and dual disc brakes.

An electric motor is installed where the rear tire used to be and the battery will be hidden inside a custom vintage-looking wooden crate between the rear wheels.

Liz and I will be using it to tow our mini 1959 Shasta travel/dog trailer replica.

Hoping to have it wrapped up for the October Tour da Fat festival and group bike ride.

Came with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, tailstock, steady rest and various cutting, boring and measuring tools.

It is in excellent shape for being 25 years old. Purchase from original owner who took great care of it.

I found someone on Craigslist who is coming out tomorrow to show me the ropes. I probably need some additional tooling but I will get him to help me understand what I need/should get.

It's a powerful machine so I do t want to mess it (or me) up...

I would start with small diameter bar stock and a few carbide tipped tools. Get practice centering the bar stock (have a dial indicator & mag mount?).

See how deep a cut you can make and how good a surface you can obtain. Leaded steel and brass are good & soft.

Get some hss tool stock and start grinding your own tools based on how your carbide tools look. Grinding tools is easier to do than explain, many good tutorials on line.

Have fun making chips before you start making serious parts.

Nice lathe! Of course now you need a mill, and then you need a . . . and then a . . .:worms:

Apprentice machinist here, yes, start using all manual functions before trying automated functions. I use a Hardinge Super Precision here at work and it is one sweet machine. That one looks like a nice find. Never, never leave the chuck key in the chuck always use guards as well........just my .02.

I'll be starting an apprenticeship in January.
There are several great machinist YouTube channels. MrPete222, Abom79, Thisoldtony, Keith Fenner, Keith Rucker, and NYCCNC, are my favorites.

I am catching on... Had a 3 hour session with a machinist and it gave me the fundamentals. Now just trying not to develop bad habits that I am not aware are bad. I am using my ear and common sense at the moment to determine when I might be going wrong.

I need to put together a flood coolant system for when I am cutting hardened materials, otherwise I think my setup is good. I already am wanting a bigger, badder lathe... :)

Here is an example of what I have been making. They are bearing adapters so I can use DOM tubing for tricycle axle tubes with off the shelf 17mm ID bearings. The tricky part has been holding the tolerances for the interference fit of the bearings.
79C56F7A-926C-4A25-ACCE-BB1ED25A4B0C.JPG

Part of the reason for the lathe.

I designed and build a custom fat tire rear tricycle housing that has a working differential and dual disc brakes.

An electric motor is installed where the rear tire used to be and the battery will be hidden inside a custom vintage-looking wooden crate between the rear wheels.

Liz and I will be using it to tow our mini 1959 Shasta travel/dog trailer replica.

Hoping to have it wrapped up for the October Tour da Fat festival and group bike ride.

I saw the tricycle & trailer today. They are BEAUTIFUL. Mike builds very nice parts and products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom