ARB vs Ironman bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Toyoland66 that is brilliant documentation, especially the measurements for the cuts to a reference point!

Do you have a photo of the truck profile to show how you have the bumper wings aligned with the fender arch?

Do you have it tilted forward to clear the grill while opening? I've read a number of owners who say the only way to get the bumper positioned high and tucked back without a forward lean is to have the grill hit the center hoop when the hood opens. It doesn't seem like the grill is all that flexible to gently bend out of the way constantly.

I’ll try to snap some photos later.

I did mess up by aligning the bumper with the sheetmetal of the wheel arch. The flare is about 3/16” lower so the bumper is a touch too high. I need to take the bumper back off to install the winch at some point so will mess with it then.

the hood barely clears, to the point that I’m not sure if you could skip a piece of paper between the hood and the bumper hoop, but it does clear.

Also worth mentioning that the passenger side under wing piece interferes with the windshield washer bottle. This might be due to having the bumper mounted as high as possible. I will have to mod the wing.

I’ll try to snap some photos later.

I did mess up by aligning the bumper with the sheetmetal of the wheel arch. The flare is about 3/16” lower so the bumper is a touch too high. I need to take the bumper back off to install the winch at some point so will mess with it then.

the hood barely clears, to the point that I’m not sure if you could skip a piece of paper between the hood and the bumper hoop, but it does clear.

Also worth mentioning that the passenger side under wing piece interferes with the windshield washer bottle. This might be due to having the bumper mounted as high as possible. I will have to mod the wing.
Good to know about the flare vs sheet metal!

another option that is common for the washer bottle is to install a universal square model in front of the air box next to the PS reservoir. You'll have reduced capacity.

More pics as requested
513DAADB-0C53-40D7-8AC0-53471BC2C148.jpeg

The top edge of the bumper is pretty close to parallel with the body line that runs along the fender flare
C3A9C634-7E3D-4CA3-B8DE-F30CA2B4B7D3.jpeg

The hood catch is now accessed through the winch access cutout in the top of the bumper
8A42C53C-E82A-4902-B4EB-A50AB09EB9EE.jpeg

the hood actually has a touch more clearance to the hoop than I described but not much
AFFAFEBC-73DE-4618-A009-14ADA2B2AA21.jpeg

8FB7DB7A-6B99-49AD-BA0C-6C4EE5015925.jpeg

@Toyoland66
Thank you for the write up! Such a timesaver to have this. I started the install today and it’s supposed to be 111* here in Sacramento. Whatever. Gotta make due with shade and fans.

1903EB53-E0BC-4EEA-959D-AE784B34BEA2.jpeg

@DRANGED
Thanks! No spacers, just the ProComp’s. Bought them through Amazon because 4WP have always been a-holes in the store. I keep trying, but they keep not wanting my money directly.
🍻

PRO COMP Series 34 Rockwell Satin Black (17x8.5 / 6x5.5 / -12mm) Amazon product ASIN B00K9ZYC0U

How does she look now? also sweet 2002s!
Thanks! The white ‘69 is our driver as it gets fixed up, the burgundy (Malaga) ‘70 sunroof is getting more attention down the road. Too many projects, but all are fun to work on.
Still have some adjustments and finish work to be done around the bumper, just got hammered with work the past few days and have been bushed. Thursday is the plan to pick back up as I think the Prinsu rack I ordered should be here.

A1D65B42-148D-46EE-BFA1-B2D998B2A7DC.jpeg

1BE00A82-4953-412B-AE91-8A43CA845AAA.jpeg

B682968B-F17A-4538-9E83-B1288F810B22.jpeg

Last edited:
You got any more pics of that 2002?
Too many to post. Order goes: dogs, cars, my kids 😄
I’m over on BMW2002FAQ forum as RichenFamous. I don’t post a ton of pics, but there’s a few. 🍻

I recently installed an Ironman bumper on mine. I notice you are talking about how the ARB shows some more of the lower grille, but take a look at the same pics and you'll see a larger gap under the headlights than the Ironman pics you've seen. It's all pretty much going to come down to you adjust it once it is on. There is quite a bit of up/down and top-out tilt.

On the ironman, once the winch mount/bumper mount was on the truck, the bumper goes on with 6 big ass nuts and bolts and the holes in the bumper are slotted. There are a lot of ways you can adjust it before you tighten it down. I'm sure the ARB is similar.

I adjusted mine as close to the headlights and as far "in" as I could. I did the cut on the bumper where the lower portion of the grille would hit, but it still hits the upper bar slightly. I just kind of flex the lower portion of the grille when opening or closing the hood. Just don't forget to mention it to the guy that may work on your truck or there is enough adjustment to tilt it or move it out far enough to clear,

I'd recommend seeing if you can find the install instructions online both and you'll get a better idea of what you are in for.

Still have some flare trim to finish up, but tis pic was the day after install.
View attachment 2558828
This looks to be coming along great, keep it up!

When yall wired up the fogs and turn signals, did you just splice into the factory wires?

This was one of the toughest installs I've ever done. My JKU with AEV parts was not nearly as bad as this was. Regardless, it was worth the hassle in south Louisiana heat. I cannot thank @Toyoland66 and @krenzzfj80 for their writeups and pictures. The directions may have as well been used as packing paper. All I lack now is wiring up the lights. How did yall do that? Spliced into the harness itself?

IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg

@kody472
I drilled a hole in the rear plate of the Ironman fog/driving light to accommodate my LED bulbs. Still need to seal it up, but doing this also prevented splicing.

Haven’t wired up the turn signal yet. I will probably not use the DRL white led feature, just the amber turn signal, but will make a Y-adapter from Toyota plug ends. I don’t like to splice.

PS, totally agree on the PITA installation. Was worth it though. Thank goodness for write up!

137458AC-5B71-4D63-B232-51E06081AE3D.jpeg

Alright, working on the turn signals. As is tradition, these instructions and diagrams are useless.

Can someone tell me which wires are the turn signals and how did you wire them up? Not worried about the white DRLs.

Alright, working on the turn signals. As is tradition, these instructions and diagrams are useless.

Can someone tell me which wires are the turn signals and how did you wire them up? Not worried about the white DRLs.

Interested in this as well. I think that part of the turn signal is a DRL and the other part is a turn signal right? I'd actually like the DRL to be on all the time.

I've noticed that we have a DRL indicator that's on all the time in the headlamp, but it turns off when you turn on headlights. I want the DRL in the ironman to be on regardless of headlamp turning on etc. so I think splicing to the headlamp DRL won't achieve that.

I also plan on replacing the Ironman fog with Stedi LED foglight, that also has a DRL.

Interested in this as well. I think that part of the turn signal is a DRL and the other part is a turn signal right? I'd actually like the DRL to be on all the time.

I've noticed that we have a DRL indicator that's on all the time in the headlamp, but it turns off when you turn on headlights. I want the DRL in the ironman to be on regardless of headlamp turning on etc. so I think splicing to the headlamp DRL won't achieve that.

I also plan on replacing the Ironman fog with Stedi LED foglight, that also has a DRL.

When I wired the bumper up, the drl/turn lights had the wire names stamped next to the plug.

I combined the Ironman DRL and parking (brown and red) wires and spliced them into the headlight's parking light (clear, next to the headlight's turn/drl). I did not splice into the headlight drl/turn wiring since I disabled the amber drl feature when I swapped to led turn signals. That bulb in my headlight only functions as a turn signal for me now.

White is ground, so that one is easy to figure out.

Finally, yellow on the Ironman was spliced into my turn signal.

Also, I went with Ironman's own LED fog replacement vs using an h3 led bulb in the original fog housing. Overall I am very pleased with them. Good output and color. Solid build quality too.

20210728_112104.jpg

20201121_160923.jpg

20201121_161047.jpg

20210728_112258.jpg

Well, with 25% off everything they sell right now, I went ahead with the Ironman. Should be delivered next week. $975 out the door and shipped.
@Ironman 4x4 USA has upped their prices on the bull bars for the 120 and 150. Now $1235 shipped after 25% off 😭 damn inflation, My efforts to be financially responsible have backfired 😂 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom