ARB vs Ironman bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep going back and forth on these two bumpers. I have yet to find a side by side comparison of the two. The differences are subtle from what I can tell. In doing as much internet research as I can, it seems like the Ironman sticks out a little further and the ARB wraps around the headlights a little better. This makes mean lean towards the ARB.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

I tend to agree with your suspicions. I too have studied these two bumpers a lot, and from what I can tell, it seems when most people install the Ironman, it actually covers up the very bottom of the grill. I have noticed this on ARB, but not as many. I do know a lot of the fitment has to do with just how up and out you install either one of the bumpers. I’ve attached 4 photos...two Ironman, two ARB. The bottom of the grill is covered up on both Ironmans, and one of the ARB. They are so similar I think it really boils down to how far up and out the user decides to bolt it up.

9430F94C-3252-43B5-A3DC-DB02F0579331.jpeg

F9C99E42-DC42-40E5-8260-D9B7AABD1057.jpeg

0DC76A20-2F2E-4941-A271-B5D1D6A3C2B3.jpeg

6ADA026E-5A0D-401C-9F4C-54B1D9C6364E.jpeg

I tend to agree with your suspicions. I too have studied these two bumpers a lot, and from what I can tell, it seems when most people install the Ironman, it actually covers up the very bottom of the grill. I have noticed this on ARB, but not as many. I do know a lot of the fitment has to do with just how up and out you install either one of the bumpers. I’ve attached 4 photos...two Ironman, two ARB. The bottom of the grill is covered up on both Ironmans, and one of the ARB. They are so similar I think it really boils down to how far up and out the user decides to bolt it up.

View attachment 2558508

View attachment 2558509

View attachment 2558510

View attachment 2558511
You seem to be looking at the same pictures I've been looking at. If it's a matter of how snug I can get it to the body, seems like the Ironman would be the way to go due to the fact that it's less money and comes with the fogs and turn signals.

On the other hand, that last picture you posted for ARB is what I want mine to look like. Snug to the body and the headlight hoops don't go so far up.

Still can't decide.

You seem to be looking at the same pictures I've been looking at. If it's a matter of how snug I can get it to the body, seems like the Ironman would be the way to go due to the fact that it's less money and comes with the fogs and turn signals.

On the other hand, that last picture you posted for ARB is what I want mine to look like. Snug to the body and the headlight hoops don't go so far up.

Still can't decide.
Haha I agree with you. That last pic is how I would want mine to look as well. I can’t find an Ironman bumper with it being that snug, and not covering up the bottom part of the grill. It’s a minor thing most people likely wouldn’t notice, I do for some reason haha. Here’s another ARB with the full grill shown and not covered. I agree, money saved going with Ironman, but if I hit a deer and insurance is paying, I’ll be going ARB.

0A0629CA-35FA-4719-9283-2132BD025249.jpeg

Haha I agree with you. That last pic is how I would want mine to look as well. I can’t find an Ironman bumper with it being that snug, and not covering up the bottom part of the grill. It’s a minor thing most people likely wouldn’t notice, I do for some reason haha. Here’s another ARB with the full grill shown and not covered. I agree, money saved going with Ironman, but if I hit a deer and insurance is paying, I’ll be going ARB.

View attachment 2558566
Good point, and I think that last picture has sold me on the ARB. The hoops look so much better to me. The Ironman just comes up too far.

FWIW......

Ironman.......broad side deer strike at 65+ mph....deer DOA

Lexus......wife continued her 14 mile commute to work....after SO report

No leaks.....left side bolts sheared off on bumper/frame

I paid $100 deductible.......bumper replaced.....I bought old back

Deer's head hit the left headlamp...hood....fender...all replaced

3 weeks in shop Orem Utah......good as new

14lYVIQ.jpg

I recently installed an Ironman bumper on mine. I notice you are talking about how the ARB shows some more of the lower grille, but take a look at the same pics and you'll see a larger gap under the headlights than the Ironman pics you've seen. It's all pretty much going to come down to you adjust it once it is on. There is quite a bit of up/down and top-out tilt.

On the ironman, once the winch mount/bumper mount was on the truck, the bumper goes on with 6 big ass nuts and bolts and the holes in the bumper are slotted. There are a lot of ways you can adjust it before you tighten it down. I'm sure the ARB is similar.

I adjusted mine as close to the headlights and as far "in" as I could. I did the cut on the bumper where the lower portion of the grille would hit, but it still hits the upper bar slightly. I just kind of flex the lower portion of the grille when opening or closing the hood. Just don't forget to mention it to the guy that may work on your truck or there is enough adjustment to tilt it or move it out far enough to clear,

I'd recommend seeing if you can find the install instructions online both and you'll get a better idea of what you are in for.

Still have some flare trim to finish up, but tis pic was the day after install.
after.jpg

Now yall are making me reconsider the Ironman. If there's that much adjustment, I'm sure I can get it to fit where I want it. The ARB price is pretty tough to swallow considering what you get with the Ironman.

I'd say take a look at the arb site and see if the install instructions show the adjustability. I only know ironman for sure since I had my grubby mitts on it. The free shipping is what sold me on it. I was shocked at the actual quality of it once I got it and it was packed like it was bombproof.

and most of all, remember that neither of them were made for the gx, so modifying your truck / new bumper to make it fit is a little challenging. Taking a cutting wheel to the metal fenders / flares and brand new bumper sounds a little daunting, but hey, it's only a truck. Right?

Now yall are making me reconsider the Ironman. If there's that much adjustment, I'm sure I can get it to fit where I want it. The ARB price is pretty tough to swallow considering what you get with the Ironman.
The winch mount piece on the Ironman has 6 horizontally cut mounting holes, and the bumper itself has corresponding vertically cut mounting holes. This means you can move and tilt it in any direction you want within the bolt hole range. I didn't measure, but I'd estimate that you have at least 2 inches of up/down adjustment to play with, plus tilt. Once it is positioned how you want, you drill in 2 pinning bolts per side. I'm sure the ARB has similar adjustable positions, but there are other major differences to consider between the two.

Like I mentioned, the Ironman has a separate winch mount that the bumper itself mounts to. The ARB requires the winch to mount to the bumper (winch mounts bottom facing forward, so the clutch will need to be clocked). I was able to install my ironman with winch solo, but that wouldn't be possible with an ARB unless I had a hoist or help. Also, the value of the ironman cant be beat (regularly goes on sale for $1k shipped). It includes fog lights, a complete wiring harness for them if you choose to not tap into factory harness, turn signals/drl, and splash/skid pieces for under the side wings. All of those have to be purchased separately if you get the ARB.

Here's the ARB install on a 4th gen 4r:

I went through this debate with my 460 and I ended up purchasing the Ironman in the end. Availability, free shipping, price, extras included like side wings and fogs (they weren't with the ARB), separate winch mount, bigger diameter tubing (460 bumper thing) and equal to ARB quality. Unless you're a fanboy and just absolutely have to have the ARB logo on the front of the bumper then I don't see how anyone can justify purchasing one over the Ironman, it's simply a home run in overall value.

I went through this debate with my 460 and I ended up purchasing the Ironman in the end. Availability, free shipping, price, extras included like side wings and fogs (they weren't with the ARB), separate winch mount, bigger diameter tubing (460 bumper thing) and equal to ARB quality. Unless you're a fanboy and just absolutely have to have the ARB logo on the front of the bumper then I don't see how anyone can justify purchasing one over the Ironman, it's simply a home run in overall value.
Good points. I am a fanboy of quality parts. On my JKU, I had AEV front and rear bumpers and a Gobi rack. I didn't get them for their name. I got them for their quality.

With everyone's input so far, it seems the Ironman has both quality and value. I believe that's going to be my choice. I also really like the fact that it's two-piece. I like that I can mount the winch and then the bumper. Very nice feature.

Now to convince my wife that this is needed. :confused:

I have the ARB, what would you like to know? Ultimately went w/ the ARB after looking at some of the details in the reinforcement between the two. ARB hoops continue through the skin of the bumper and are tied to the framework. I’d be happy to share any pics or install tips

after deer strike

Snek2nL.jpg
WHOA DUDE!!

I've been meaning to PM you and ask if you could measure from the front of grill (along top of bumper, to front of beam and to front of pushers.
(I asked @Tex68w (I think) the same in another thread.

BUT then I saw your post (randlmly) here.... hit deer! crazy!
When?
Glad all are okay!
bummer loop didn't protect headlight :-/

Guess it whas a spin around and thwack sorta thing...

Last edited:
Wife smacked the deer in early October...broadside @ 65+

Deer's head hit LF head light---------Martin's Collision in Orem made the repairs
did your installer do trimming to the bumper for hood clearancing fitment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom