ARB troubles..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I was helping a friend with some new ring&pinions in the rear carrier over the weekend, and he has an ARB rear locker for a SF axle. I am not sure if this is an older one or this is just the design but there is a small pin that hold the large removable pin for the cluster gears in place. And unlike the toyota carrier that has the pin and the threaded bolt as one peice the ARB has a pin that slips in and then a bolt that lockes it in. There is a special ARB SST that looks like an alan key with threads on the end that screws into the pin and they you can pull it back out. Well unfortunetly we could not pull it back out and strips the threads on the SST in doing so.

My question is has anyone else had this problem, is this still the current design for SF ARB (I only had the RD02's for front and FF axles and the pin removal is not needed or used). Anyone that has had this problem have a clever way to solve it?

Thanks,

Michael

Drive a 3" decking/drywall screw (slightly larger major diameter than the ARB tool) into it with a powerdrill, then yank. I have also driven a torx head into the pin to pull it out. Hope that helps.

rapidly tap on shaft while pulling on screw , I think it is 8/32 or 6/32 it will be obvious and most hardware stores have em in 3 in. last resort is to dremmel off end of shaft or case enough to get at pin , one guy had to cut it out there were pictures posted , search .

Call ARB in Seattle and talk to Tim Lund. He's the tech genius there.

He'll help you for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

I will see what we can get done on it this weekend. I will post results.

cheers,

Michael

peesalot said:
rapidly tap on shaft while pulling on screw , I think it is 8/32 or 6/32 it will be obvious and most hardware stores have em in 3 in. last resort is to dremmel off end of shaft or case enough to get at pin , one guy had to cut it out there were pictures posted , search .

I agree with Mr. peesalot. I just had this problem. The hole on the shaft was not quite aligned with the hole on the casing. By pulling on the pin while tapping up and down on the shaft, it came right out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom