ARB Side Rails.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
  • Anyone know where i can get them?
  • How Much?
  • If you DONT have running boards..can you still attach them?

later..
joe

They suck dude. Some buttmunches like scabconnection may still have some laying around. Dunno if anyone else can still get them. Better off bending your own so that they actually protect the flare. They were designed for the OZ spec cruisers so they don't protect the flares. Plus they suck. :flipoff2: :D

Not my 80 - but this is how they hold up to sliding:
rubi.jpg

A set that I got for free - preparing to put them to a good use
bars1.jpg

And they work really well in this application
grinder.jpg

That is what I think of them. Even as fender protection they are marginal - since anything that really pushed/leaned on the side would push them into the vehicle - not enough bracing. They would work 'ok' for brush bars.

george.

Anyone know where i can get them? Yes

How Much? Too much

If you DONT have running boards..can you still attach them? Can get 'em with the Sill protection bits.

They were designed for the OZ spec cruisers so they don't protect the flares.
Could be becose they were intended primarily for the DX(Very rare for people with RV, GXL and VX to take 'em out Bush), But can also be fitted to 80 Series with Flares. :slap: :ban:

Get the Slee's...totally bomber well made, and they got yer back no matter what question. They'll be seeing more of my money...that's for sure

sleeoffroad

nice stuff

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=7222;start=msg60495#msg60495 date=1068263580]
Get the Slee's...totally bomber well made, and they got yer back no matter what question. They'll be seeing more of my money...that's for sure

sleeoffroad

nice stuff
[/quote]

Uh, Christo has great stuff, but the question was on side rails not sliders. :flipoff2: :D

Christo's sliders are cool. I don't have them, but have seen them wheeled and beat on. They hold up great.

Thanks for the input on the side rails..i am decided that I am not going to get them. I have found some on the internet...and they are pricey. Too much $$$ for what they are worth.

I do like christo's sliders a whole lot :D...but, the cost doesnt outweigh the benefit for me :-\....YET! :D
Maybe if Christo has a "75% OFF 80-Series Sliders" sale!! :D my opinion could be "influenced a little" :).

On a side note..I hit my first "thing" with my ARB this past weekend. Junk..you would be proud. :D Was driving home from an "American" (for our OZ buddies :D) football game this past weekend...and i PLOWED into three of those highway orange barrel barricades. I was going about 50 mph, stuck behind a rental van, and the guy all of a sudded swerves out of the way to avoid the barrels. Since the cruiser doesnt "react" like a M3 :D..i went into three of those things full speed..head first!

With (i guess) the angles of the ARB and its strength.. my best description was somethnig like this.

[glow=red,2,300]THUD[/glow]..back and to the left.

I immediately looked into the rearview to see if anyone was behind me. THANK GOD there was no one for about a 1/4 mile behind ...AND the barrels were deflected from the outside lane where i hit them..OVER the inside lane and into the inside lane break down area! :D Those F-ers must have flown 20 ft. in the air! :D When i got home i thought for sure there woudl be damage. No Damage..and not even a paint scratch :D..a little orange plastic that i just wiped off.

It isnt as cool a story as an exploding deer..but, i was definitely impressed with the ARB....and glad i had it.

later...

-Joe-

Joe, My 1st trip four wheeling I bent my factory step-rails. I would have to say , in stock form at least, the rocker panel is your most vulnerable spot for damage when off-road. slee sliders about 800.00 shipped I think. rocker panel or lower body damage? :eek: BIG$$ Ya don't wanna go there.Just my .02 cents

Vince

FWIW, having heavy duty sliders will save you the cost of them the FIRST time they are used. Even minor damage to the rocker panel area will cost more to repair than the sliders :(. They should be one of the first improvements to your 80. They saved me $$$ the first real trail I took my 80 on. And it was elephant hill which is pretty easy. Christo brought a set of his slee sliders to Cruise Moab for me, and I installed them in the campground in about 20 min :banana:. Perfect fit. That cannot be said about many aftermarket products. :beer:
Sean

I too initially thought they were too expensive and then sat down and thought about it some more. Cost and complexity to build is way too high. Custom built ones I have seen locally don't seem to be holding up all that well. Every trail I have been on, the rockers have been at risk (I've slowly been bending the running boards - but no damage). A visit to a body shop convinved me that US$700 is a 'deal'!

Wife's not happy about losing the step (I wish Christo still made the old step style), but I think we're going to take the plunge!

Cheers, Hugh

Christo's sliders are "the bomb". I have personally seen Mtnrats and others take a severe beating on the Rubicon with no damage to the truck. My own took a hard knock in Moab-again no damage to the rockers and only a character scratch on the slider. I think that preventing even one minor injury to the rockers more than pays for the sliders. They seem expensive, but if you think about it, they are cheap. I would get sliders before any other goodies, except maybe an OME lift. The transfer skid is a good investment too, for similar reasons.

I like the Slee Sliders too, but unfortunately I can't get them or something similar here :'(

Maybe one day I will find something.

Mike

Way to go S.A. :cheers: :D

I've hit a few of those at highway speed. Dang they can fly big time. Felt sorry for the guy that was behind me, but then again, that specific one was by accident ;). He won't tailgate again though I'm sure. :slap: :flipoff2:

Slider wise - personally, where I wheel, I prefer welded to the frame sliders. I have seen Christo's wheeled pretty hard, and they hold up great.

Kunkster can be a testament to how sliders should be the first investment for wheeling and not the last. See previous posts for mofoinfo. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=7222;start=msg61011#msg61011 date=1068431377]
Slider wise - personally, where I wheel, I prefer welded to the frame sliders. I have seen Christo's wheeled pretty hard, and they hold up great.
[/quote]

You are kidding me, aren't you :D :D :D :D :D :D When are you ever wheeling. :D :D :D

Psst' little secret, you can always weld ours on as well. :flipoff2:

12Nov2003 (UTC -7)

Hey Mr. Slee! Did I ever tell you that your FZJ-80 sliders fit into HDJ-80's as well? The only issue was not the muffler part on the right-hand side as you originally thought, but a frame crossmember on the left-hand side nearest the engine prevents one of the u-bolts from being bolted on. So I just had that part tap-welded on.

I can't believe Mr Slee hasn't got a jig to build them properly. ::)

So what if there's only one in the country :flipoff2:

Ok since we have now moved from ARB side rails to Slee Sliders -

I too think the cost of the sliders is more than offset by one good ding in the rocker panels. :whoops:

What about the cats? Do the Slee siders offer any protection for the cats? Thems guys are hanging kind of low. :doh:

The mount on the slee slider goes right between and below the cats. I have not hit my cats at all, but the mount below the cats has hit alot and protected the cats very well. :D :D
Sean

Slee sliders provide only partial protection to the cats. More protection would be better. Knowing that didn't stop me from buying a set. Recommended purchase.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom