ARB Fridge Solar Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure this has been thrashed out 1000 times before but I couldn't find any recent threads on the topic... If you know of one just point me there, otherwise:

I'm looking to keep a car battery sized battery (in a portable battery box) (relatively) charged while running an ARB fridge freezer. I know there are a million variables but I'm wondering if there is an agreed upon "package" solar kit for something like this - I'm lazy and not looking to do a ton of research (sorry kids). I know Arizona would provide more sun than here in NY but this would be used mostly in the summer here and if the bottom line was that the solar wasn't quite keeping up but was at least getting close to covering usage I'd be happy. Bonus points for an easy to set-up and pack/store kit.

Wow, this is a rambling and non-specific request I see now... well, I'm going to leave it for feedback anyway.

Mark, you been drinking? :D Its Friday night after all ... and a reasonable assumption :D

I'm not drinking, just doing what I do when I have some time to kill: overthinking an issue that I really have no pressing need to solve... ;)

Not a bad choice.

Actually could have saved a few bucks but not had the comfort of a well respected company.

Now you can buy a Renogy or other good budget panel. There are so many choices on Amazon alone.

How low does your voltage fall typically? Say in a two or three day trip?

I'm thinking this is for times when the FRIDGE is not moving for 3-4 days (if it sits in camp or in my tow vehicle that isn't getting driven)

100 Watts of solar if you can get it in the sun. I like to match battery AH with solar watts. 100watt of solar with 100AH of battery

You'll need solar for sure beyond 2 days. Measure the average daily consumption to give you an idea. Those $20 cumulative power meters work great for this. For me and my ARB Engel in my standard conditions, it's about 25 amp-hours per day. So that's 50 amp-hours in 2 days which is about half the charge in a 100 amp-hour battery, which is about as much as you'd ever want to use. Solar is cool. Just get it.

But I agree, if you move every day for several hours, solar can be left at home.

If you read the Rubicon thread, also read the 'awesome new MPPT" thread.

Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99

The very best thing about solar, is that during the average day, the solar not only charges the battery, but supplies all the power to run the fridge. So you really only need enough battery storage to supply your dusk to dawn needs. Figure you'll get a least 8 hours a day of decent power out of the panels.

edit-100 watts is enough, but not with a lot of wiggle room. I'm up to 180 watts, 2 fridges and can stay indefinitely as long as it's sunny (which in my conditions, is basically the case). Solar takes the strain out of your camp outs. You'll always have a fully charged battery every late afternoon, your beverages/food will always be cold, and you'll be a happy man.

Last edited:
Thanks... yeah, I ordered a power meter, it should be here today. I have an ARB (maybe 4-5 years old) and a couple of older (grey metal) Norcolds. I THINK one is going to live permanently in the FJ60 wheeling truck and one in the tow vehicle or out at camp. The one in the 60 will be charging all day when wheeling and I can always turn it off at night, it'll be just for trail food for the day. The camp set-up is what I'm more concerned about.

Three choices at WalMart that are "cheap". Maxx has better specs and 2 yr warranty) than the "regular" 24DC with a 1 year warranty. The 24F has a 5 year (3+2) warranty.

Given the portable battery box use of this and very occasional use... I'm soliciting opinions.

MAXX 24DC:

IMG_20171008_151500785.jpg

IMG_20171008_151456692.jpg

24DC:

IMG_20171008_151449405.jpg

IMG_20171008_151445068.jpg

24F:

IMG_20171008_151507553.jpg

Last edited:
I have come to see little magic in batteries. I'm running a MAXX deep cycle in my 80 in the #2 position and it's been fine. Buy with confidence.

Recently though, I've been using East Penn flooded lead acid batteries you can buy at batteries plus. They are very high quality flooded batteries, not expensive and perfect for our uses.

But the critical feature in keeping batteries in good shape, is to keep them charged 100%. I have several Costco Kirkland 3 year batteries that are 5-6 years old and still good, because all of mine are plugged into a batteryMinder every night. It makes a huge difference and batteries age at a much slower rate when they are always 100% charged. You do need to check and add distilled water every 3 months or so, but it makes your batteries nearly immortal.

Just keep in mind that batteries are a consumable. They all go bad in time. So spending 3x as much for a battery that does the same job 10% longer doesn't make any sense to me. Get a battery in the $100 range with the best warranty, take care of it, and that's about the best you'll do.

What Cruiserdrew said.
Have batteries on my boat and have conditioner on the them and we are now at 9 years and still strong.
Did the same on my 60 with dual batteries and when not in use have onboard charger same as on the boat.
Hoping for a long life for the 60 batteries as well, fingers crossed.

I'm not drinking, just doing what I do when I have some time to kill: overthinking an issue that I really have no pressing need to solve... ;)
renorgy sels a kit under 200 that will charge up your battery no problem Im using a rigid and a folding version on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom