ARB compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
How do ARB compressors fair in airing up tires? I may be getting a sweet deal for a brand new in the box for $70.

Eventually (i.e. a long time) I'll be getting ARB lockers. But for now I'd just like to have OBA for airing up tires and such.

Now I know it won't even come close to touching the ouput of say...a york, I just hate having to drive from the trailhead ot a gas station with 10-15 lbs of air in the tires.

a buddy of mine has one. he is running 36x12.5 tsl's and it takes the arb compressor about 30 minutes to put 20 or so pounds in one tire.

but it's better than nothing

you could hook it up to a tank.

if i was looking for onboard air, i would build the biggest tank i could fit as a bumper, or box in the rear, or costom build one to go under driver seat (fj40) or something like that. you could fill it up at a gas station or something, and use it as your primary source. then if you want to fill the tank while you are driving or something you could plumb your arb to do that, but then i don't think you could run the locker at the same time... if you are running the arb locker.

this sort of setup might work. the best thing i've seen for filling tires (my friends setup) is to convert an ac-unit. he has his ac as his compressor, and the arb only runs his front locker.

i hope this helped.

The ARB absolutely blows for airing up tires, don't even think about it, except maybe as a backup.
I will be doing a York on board air with tank for airing tires, running tools, eventually running ARB's and also possible a nice loud 18 wheeler air horn 8). Read the tech's on this mod here, you can get 4 cfm out of it at just above idle, if you have a hand throttle, you can get up to 8-10 CFM. Thats waaaay more than a ARB, and more than all but the most expensive 24 volt electrics. Best of all you don't drain battery. If you can't weld, www.mudrak.com has brackets. You can also buy brand new York compressors if you don't mind spending about 8-10 times what you can get one for at a Pick n Pull here- www.onboardair.com. If you don't have time but have money it wouldn't be too bad to buy a new one. If all you are doing is airing up tires, you don't need to do much at all past getting the compressor mounted, when you start using it for other things and add a tank for tools it gets more and more complicated. Just read the Tech articles.

A/C and P/S are for the weak :slap: :D
Do you have Saginaw or stock power steering? Cause you can get these saginaw/york combos out of certain volvos where the two are attached and you can use the volvo power steering pump. Needs to go on PS of engine, with alternator and whatever else on ds. Could go other way I guess. Send a pic of your engine bay and lets have a look, maybe we could get it to fit in there. Wonder if the saginaw pump would work with the LC gearbox? They can get them to fit in 96 broncos that have a/c and power steering, my dad has a 96 bronco and its engine bay is much more packed than any 2F bay. If theres a will there's a way ;)

Guess I should have said this was an FJ60. If I could remove my top, A/C may not be such a necessity. (time to break out the sawzall? :G )

Stock PS,

I guess the bottom line is if it costs too much money to repair my A/C, then I can convert the compressor.

Guess I should have said this was an FJ60.  If I could remove my top, A/C may not be such a necessity.  (time to break out the sawzall?  :G )

Stock PS,

I guess the bottom line is if it costs too much money to repair my A/C, then I can convert the compressor.  
After you try airing up using an ARB, it will cost too much to fix the A/C, believe me! :D
You would probably be better of selling the Cruiser compressor and using a York anyway, cause the Yorks are higher CFM I believe and also don't rely on the coolant for lubricant, they have a crankcase, and you can even run an oil line from the engine to keep them lubed up. The cruiser one would probably work, but not flow as much air, and eventually burn out I believe. I'm not sure on this but I think so, if the Toyo compressor flows 10 cfm and doesn't rely on the coolant to lubricate itself then it would work as well as a york.

I have heard that there is problems using a york in place of the stock compressor. I believe i've hear that height is the issue.

Then it gets into relocating all kinds of crap to put it in. That is more than I want to get into. I've got more projects than I can deal with right now.

Thank you for the advise though,
I do appreciate it.
:slap:

Heres the best electric compressor I have seen:
http://www.oasisoffroad.com/trailheadAirCompressor.html
A very reasonable $700. :eek:
At 24v it flows as much as a belt driven york setup.
Only problems-costs 3 times a much, and no stock LC alternator is going to run this thing.
Might want to start taking an extra night's worth of food unless you like driving on the road at 10 psi! :slap: :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom