ARB Bullbar installation...help, part needed... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
So I sprung for an ARB bullbar. I've always wanted one and now I've got one. The problem is, when I installed my hot home made front bumper, I cut off the front bumper attachments from the frame. I totally trashed them during removal, and then tossed 'em straight into the bushes.

Anyway, anybody got these around? I'd hate to have to pay spectre or somebody a buncha $$ for 'em...

-Ferg-

Last edited:
Try Cruiseroutfitters, they are in Utah and might have some from a parts truck. If that fails, call cruiserparts.net. He will have them for sure, but since its from the Northeast, they might be rusty. If you fabricate new ones, look carefully at the mount on the Bullbar. For the 60 the mounts actually need to be wider(well, deeper) than they are. I made a spacer and put it in, but ideally buying the brackets off an FJ62 would be ideal. If you make some, make them the size of the ones on the FJ62.

While you are waiting for that to happen, you could still mount the bullbar. It will bolt in very solidly with 4 bolts on each side.. I used Grade 8 1/2 inch fasteners. It's a very solid mount. Even without the brackets, there will still be 8 bolts holding it on. With the brackets, you pick up, you pick up 2 more mounting bolts per side. If you use FJ60 brackets, you will need to drill a new hole in the upper part of the bracket wing and use a spacer between the wing and the bullbar. If you get FJ62 brackets, which is what I reccomend, the hole should be in the right palce.

Did your bullbar come with spacers? If not, I made new ones with a short piece of 3/4 inch pipe which I degreased, primed and painted black to prevent rust.

cruiserparts.net ?????? You got a welder right? it should not be that bad to fab up some brackets.

Dude your setup is getting freakishly close to mine. If ya get a velveeta paint job post it up....I rather have blue. haha later bro and good luck.

Ferg,
I got 'em on an 83 FJ60 if you want them. I just need to figure out how to get them off. Let me know if you want them.
Todd

Ghetto -
You grind the heads of the rivets off, then pound on the "stumps" using a long punch. Sooner or later the rivets drop out. Or a plasma cutter would make short work of it.

I built my own bumper because I did not like these flimsey factory mounts that the arb used. If your starting from scratch you should really build your own out of some real plate, on my setup I boxed out the inner frame rail with 1/4" plate with nuts welded to the back. I personally crash tested it for strength.
RIMG0244b.jpg
RIMG0172b.jpg

Last edited:
Hey salvage 60,

Does your 60 have a lazy eye?

Is that headlight look'in at me?????

What is the other one look'in at?

......never know

Obviously whatever happended SUCKED!!!!!

Hope all is better now!

Aren't there eight other bolts that bolt directly to the frame? I don't think the bolts that bolt to those flimsy ears add much structural support at all. I wouldn't worry about it, stick with the eight main bolts because they provide 99% of the support.

thats real dedication, not only making it yourself, but testing it yourself too. what'd you hit?

too tired from work, flooring it up the freeway onramp only to look up and see a line of stopped cars for a metered on ramp light. I dont think I ever even hit the brakes just cranked the wheel at the last second. no one hurt but I took the whole back corner off of an exploder - totalled it. The bad part is I had cheap, only cover the other guy insurance. There was no frame damage and it was driveable so I replaced the sheet metal and built a much stronger bumper.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Yup, got my Bullbar through my buddy Kurt up at CruiserOufitters.com. He's fresh out of any of those brackets. And the local guy he recommended me to check with just hauled his off to the recycler about a month ago... :rolleyes:

I'd love to do it, but I really don't have much time and/or resources to build my own brackets right now.

I hadn't looked at the bar at all yet. Nor ever seen anyone else's up close. So there are 8 other bolts to bolt it on eh? Sweet. Guess I'll put in on for now while I figure out the other brackets.

So FJ62 ones will work for sure? I've found some locally (just gotta make sure they're in good condition). I was told the FJ62 ones are a bit taller...but that's why you're talking about a spacer for the 60 ones right Drew...? There's only one ARB (ok, three: low mount winch, high mount winch and non-winch) for the 60 and 62--they use the same one, just the 60 uses a spacer. Makes perfect sense to me...

Getto, Thanks. I'll let you know if I need them.

Al, no velveta for me. I hate that stuff. ;p Now mustard on the other hand.... :D

-Ferg-

Ferg check the Wasatch archives, Sean Penman posted a listing of a place that had a 60 in their yard a month or two ago IIRC (maybe longer?). Andre

PS call Kurt too, we are thinking of wheeling on Sat morning if you are interested...

theferg said:
Thanks for all the help guys.

Al, no velveta for me. I hate that stuff. ;p Now mustard on the other hand.... :D

-Ferg-

the color is good but besides that...eeww mustard.....welll the honey kind is pretty good. ;p

??? Mounts

I installed an ARB bull bar on my FJ60 about a month ago.

I removed the old bumper mounts by cutting the rivets heads off with an angle grinder/cutter. The ARB mounts slide right over the frame rails, 4 bolts per side, very tight/solid fit and mount.

Isn't this how you are supposed to mount them or am I missing something?

Gordo

My ARB bull bar (front) fit like a glove without any modifications. I know I'm not missing anything cause it fit ;) . I used a lot of grade 8 bolts with washers on top side (bolt) and lock washers on bottom (nut).

I usually get the right-of-way at four way stops, or if I make an accidental premature departure out of any intersection :flipoff2: .

It's nice to know you have protection.

I got the sucker all bolted on yesterday. Cruiserdrew and Heffenoche and whomever else said it was right that it will still bolt on with 4 bolts on each side. I am still going to get the brackets to mount back on and utilize all the correct bolting locations, but it looks like I'm gonna hafta weld them back on to the frame cause I'm not sure about having room for bolts to go in place of all the rivets. It will be tight as s*** if it will even work. Welding shouldn't be too bad though.

Also, my install pack did come with the spacers to use with the 60 mounts, but I'm getting 62 mounts so no worries anyway.

Sorry, no pics yet...my dumb arse doesn't have a digi cam till I'm at work tomorrow...

-Ferg-

theferg said:
I got the sucker all bolted on yesterday. Cruiserdrew and Heffenoche and whomever else said it was right that it will still bolt on with 4 bolts on each side. I am still going to get the brackets to mount back on and utilize all the correct bolting locations, but it looks like I'm gonna hafta weld them back on to the frame cause I'm not sure about having room for bolts to go in place of all the rivets. It will be tight as $#!* if it will even work. Welding shouldn't be too bad though.

Also, my install pack did come with the spacers to use with the 60 mounts, but I'm getting 62 mounts so no worries anyway.

Sorry, no pics yet...my dumb arse doesn't have a digi cam till I'm at work tomorrow...

-Ferg-

Ferg baby, call Tim Lund at ARB in Seattle. 206-264-1669

Tell him Tom Bentzen sent you. He'll fix you up. Tim is the tech manager there.

TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom