ARB Base Rack - Destroying my Sunroof (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Following for part number. I just ordered the wind fairing for my K9 Eezi-awn sight unseen and it’s garbage. That front runner fairing looks like a much better option.

Does anyone who has the full length rack also have the light bar? If so, did it help reduce wind noise and sunroof vibration? Would love a good excuse to buy one if it actually helps by changing the airflow.

I’ve ordered a front runner wind fairing to put on my base rack to try to solve the wind noise and sunroof vibration issue. Will report back on how that goes.I have installed

I have a full length base rack with the arb light bar with minimal wind noise at highway speeds (up to 120km/h).

As far as I know, Front Runner only makes one wind fairing for the 200 series for their Slimline II rack: P/N RRAC174. I haven’t tried mine yet, I was looking for an excuse to buy the ARB light bar but I am concerned it will introduce more noise instead of less.

If no one responds about the PN in the front runner deflector you could just measure the width and the rack and then buy an appropriate FR fairing. I guess imma have to try it soon.

I used to run a Front Runner rack on mine before switching and the fairing they used to recommend for the 200 series is much more narrow than you can actually fit. The one that looks the best IMO is the 1345mm/1425mm width one found here: click me

This is how it spans edge to edge:

932Rvs5h.jpg

QVxfiUvh.jpg

I used to run a Front Runner rack on mine before switching and the fairing they used to recommend for the 200 series is much more narrow than you can actually fit. The one that looks the best IMO is the 1345mm/1425mm width one found here: click me

This is how it spans edge to edge:

932Rvs5h.jpg

QVxfiUvh.jpg
How were the results?

Any update?
Sorry for the delay folks, been out of pocket.

Here is the correct piece:
Front Runner Wind Fairing for Low Profile Rack / 1345mm/1425mm

I revered the fairing to the blank side so I do not look like a rolling Front Runner billboard.

below is a pic. I used some rubber cording to seal the gap at the top (need to straighten out a little). Huge improvement. I can actually use the sunroof now. Highly recommend.

1679950503455.jpeg

below is a pic. I used some rubber cording to seat the gap at the top. Huge improvement. I can actually use the sunroof now. Highly recommend.

View attachment 3283846
Great to hear! Any more vibration with the sunroof closed?

There’s a little around 75+. But not nearly as much as with the arb deflector. I’m still tweaking. But I’m no longer planning to sell my rack….
Thanks for your findings and reporting back! Regarding hardware did you source some extra bits or was the ones provided by FR and ARB good enough?

How were the results?

I ran it with a Front Runner rack so it's not really a fair comparison, but that style of fairing is far superior to the normal one Front Runner gives you that attaches to the underside. With my Base Rack I now have my traction boards up on the front of the rack running parallel to the bars of the Base Rack so that I can access the mounting pins from either side. I'm usually not a fan of leaving gear attached if I'm not out on a trip, but it has completely eliminated the small amount of wind buffeting I was having. If I were to ever do another fairing I would definitely use the Front Runner one though.

I decided to try my Tred Pros front and center before resorting to the Front Runner fairing or arb lightbar. I don’t think my fairing was as wide as the ones you guys are mentioning. It was the front runner suggested rack when it first was introduced.

Anyway, taking the kids to school this morning at 40mph I hear much more wind noise already from the extra profile of the Tred Pros. Even if it lessens the low frequencies at higher speeds, I am already ditching that idea.

Also, keep in mind I’m in an LX so that may change things a bit aerodynamically.

I revered the fairing to the blank side so I do not look like a rolling Front Runner billboard.

below is a pic. I used some rubber cording to seal the gap at the top (need to straighten out a little). Huge improvement. I can actually use the sunroof now. Highly recommend.

View attachment 3283846
Whats the front runner part you used? I got the same size and mine has 8 bolts as opposed to 2 I bought the wrong one.....

Even though I don’t plan to keep the recovery boards up front as there is a bit more wind noise, as everyone else said, they do reduce the rumble and vibration of the glass is greatly reduced.

Was so ready to pull the trigger on this... thought I would check the forums beforehand. Now I dont know what to do. (lx570) I really liked the look and Aluminum construction. I have a Roofnest RTT coming. I guess I have one question that I dont believe has been asked; why not go with the 3/4 length? Or I am overlooking the obvious answer. thoughts welcome.

We had the noise when first installed. I added an additional bolt each side from the top through the fairing and it stabilized. It is quiet now even with the onx6.

I had one of the first ones that hit the shark fin and spaced it with aluminum blocks. I chose ARB since it is all welded and not bolted together. Big deal corrosion wise in the Northeast.

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1027.jpeg

IMG_1026.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

anyone considered cutting out the cross bar on the baserack right above the sunroof? I like the baserack a lot - hate the fairing the dumps air into my sunroof and makes it useless. I have been considering making an aluminum fairing or getting a front runner fairing - then cutting out the cross bar above the sunroof for more open feel. I think I could still mount up my RTT when I wanted. I pulled the baserack off and am running the factory rack - couldn't take the wind noise. But I like the function of the rack - would like to figure out a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom