Approaching 250k; continue build or cut and run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to hit 250k in 2017. Very well maintained, all OE parts. All original drivetrain is on synthetic fluids since 150k. Currently running and handling great w/ no foreseeable issues (knock on wood). It's my daily driver, but I'd like to garage it around 300k and keep it as a weekend warrior. We'd primarily use it for camping in the mountains and backpacking trail access.

The front and rear bumpers are pretty worn out, the trailer hitch is rusted (but no rust on truck), seats are falling apart, and the front fender is creased to the point the marker light is loose.

I'm debating doing the following this year:
  • Used, matching front fender ($300)
  • Slee front bumper, winch, and light bar ($2000)
  • BIO rear bumper, no swingouts ($1200)
  • Front seat leather ($300-800)
  • Will need another set of tires in a year ($800)
Is this crazy? Putting >$4k into a 16 year old truck with almost 250k miles? Should I expect to need an engine or tranny rebuild in the next few years? I've seen a few posts about preventative engine rebuilds around 300k, but I haven't seen any actual evidence they're necessary.

Thanks for your feedback.

Keep it! Build it!

I see absolutely no need to rebuild the engine - worst case, engine fails and you replace it with a $1500 used one. I saw one of these rigs a few years ago in NC with >800k miles on it. Original engine/trans.

Of your list, maybe skip the front/rear bumpers? That will save you a big chunk of change and those items seem like the least likely items to improve the vehicle / bring it to spec based on what you've shared.

Once you come to grips with the fact these high mileage Cruisers are not a value increasing investment but instead are a reliable machine that can be customized to your needs, the easier it is to sink or "invest" money into your Cruiser :)

That said, I am a little biased since I bought my Cruiser with almost 250k mile on it and just started making it my own. I say build your current Cruiser and enjoy! It's always much easier to enjoy a vehicle with "lower" value in the backcountry, especially if it is reliable.

You can always resell the bumpers before you get rid of the truck....... usually get some $ back if you go that route. Upgrading a Cruiser is cheaper than buying a new car.....sometimes

Once you come to grips with the fact these high mileage Cruisers are not a value increasing investment but instead are a reliable machine that can be customized to your needs, the easier it is to sink or "invest" money into your Cruiser :)

That said, I am a little biased since I bought my Cruiser with almost 250k mile on it and just started making it my own. I say build your current Cruiser and enjoy! It's always much easier to enjoy a vehicle with "lower" value in the backcountry, especially if it is reliable.
Ditto! It's not about the money for me. It's about advancing the capability and using that capability.

Well you are 9 years away from your factory designated 25 year service life, also 250K away from the 500k mile marker which is where most start to need heavy duty repairs. So I would say shelve this thread for 7-8 years and enjoy the Truck. You mentioned it was doing well mechanically, which is great so don't let the Cosmetic blemishes weigh on you and get them done in their own good time.

Pics?

I have a 99 I baught new, Im the original owner and still love driving it as much as the first day I drove it off the lot! I have this crazy dedication to maintain the heck out of her. People can't believe she's 17 yrs old! If your handy with a wrench, most of the maintenance that comes with that many years is very affordable and will pay dividends in the long run. I just rebuilt my engine at 287k miles (head gasket), paid $4800... that's almost blue book! Lol!
I didn't want the unknowns that come with a new used engine, but that's just me.
Im in it for the long run, she's all built up and very capable, everyone feels different about their rigs so just follow your instinct! I'm ready for another 200k miles!!!

Last edited:
I just bought a 99 with 260k miles and already lifted and waiting on more parts to get here, I say keep it and build it up! You have a good reliable vehicle for a while to come

Don't give up on her now. I'm gonna rally mine until the wheels fall off. Then put them back on a repeat lol

Dude,

I just bought mine on Friday. 223,000 miles.
I'm just about to start my build! Keep that thing!!!

Ditto. Bought my 99 with 250k on the clock. I just rolled past 275k 2 years later. I've put 4x times as much into upgrades as what I paid for her, but she's just right now, and if the engine or tranny goes, I'll throw a used one in and drive another 100k. Not having a payment, and only keeping liability on it (insurance will pay you nothing for a comp claim) means you have lots of disposable income for tools, fuel, parts and toys. DRIVE THE WHEELS off of her. She'll probably outlast you. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom