Anyone use tire chains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a camp that sits at the bottom of a pretty nasty hill. It is about 2 mi. long. The road is a sheet of 6-8" thick ice and is pretty hard to walk on let alone drive on. I'm looking into chains and would like someone with experience with chains on the LC to chime in. I have searched but have come up with nada. If anyone has used chains what type did you get? Do you need to use the low profile? The manual says to use 3.5/4.0mm chains. Should I stick with that? I have an '06 with AHC and 285/60/18 Nitto TG's on. Any input would be great.

Yes...I have utilized tire chains on my LC: Definitely the bomb on snow, ice and even mud conditions. Bill Burke sells RUD chains. I had those when I was at 33" but they don't have 35" so I went with similar from Les Schwab (I actually like the LS better due to their square link chain versus round link chain). Same diamond style chain configuration; mountable without moving the rig. I think recovery chains, particularly the smaller link style we have to run due to limited clearances, work best on AT/highway type tread. MT lugs with larger void areas tend to allow some of the links to rest below the traction portion of the tire.

You probably are OK in the rear but you should still check the clearance. Front tight spot is the tire sidewall to the top of the steering knuckle: Check it.

ARB, Old Man Emu (OME), IPF, winch bumpers, air lockers, freezer fridge, rock sliders, Unstuck video

I've run chains a few times. on Ice they are great. In deep snow, over a foot, you tend to break through the crust layers and dig yourself in deeper. Mine fit fine in the rear but not in the front. Chalange is the wheels that have grip are in the rear. ok going down, not great going up. You just can't steer or stop well. I got the heavy duty from these guys. Get the tensioner also. Truck Tire Chains for Trucks and SUVs

Have you looked into those new bags that cover your tires and act like chains? maybe those are thinner and could fit in the front.

Have used cables

I've used cables rather than chains. They are thinner, easier to install and have done the trick with OEM spec Michelins.

That said, my truck is great on snow. I did not appreciate how good it was until I drove my '07 F150 in the snow, which lost traction, plowed through corners and locked its tires when my LC would not have missed a beat.

I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of RUD grip 4x4 chains. I'll post after I use them. Thanks for the input.

I have a set of 4 RUD chains, those are the way to go. If you do have an issue with clearance between tire sidewall and top of steering knuckle, you can use 1 or 1.25" wheel spacers. I have 295/75R16 and run spacers on front when I will need chains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom