Anyone sourced and fitted a brand new 1hz crate motor recently? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're more than kicking tires, you'd have seriously weight the sense in spending $20k on a new 1HZ to put in a rusty 600k km DX Standard 80 that can be replaced for $10k
Agreed, no sense in dropping cash on a new crate 1HZ. Motor is dirt common and goes forever. If you need one, buy a working used one, possibly with a car attached.

If you're more than kicking tires, you'd have seriously weight the sense in spending $20k on a new 1HZ to put in a rusty 600k km DX Standard 80 that can be replaced for $10k
And yes that is the issue. DX 80's sell for between $15 and $20k at least. However I have to look at it another way - why would I replace my whole vehicle when ever other DX 80 in the used market here will be high km with same or similar traits of engine wear, body rust, age related damage and decay.

So it's more than a numbers game.

There's no chance in hell I can ever afford a brand new 300 or 79 series, or even a near-new 200 series or 79 series. That's a A$100 to 150 k commitment. When I have money like that, it's for a house deposit not a new vehicle. My 80 with rust in the body, very old 1hz motor, etc. is insured for 1/10th of that, so that's about what I'm prepared to spend (if/when I get that sort of money) on a replacement motor, and a few other items.

Last edited:
And yes that is the issue. DX 80's sell for between $15 and $20k at least. However I have to look at it another way - why would I replace my whole vehicle when ever other DX 80 in the used market here will be high km with same or similar traits of engine wear, body rust, age related damage and decay.

So it's more than a numbers game.
That is true. When you get into the enthusiast vehicles, decisions are often not logical from a dollar perspective
Same is true for some of my decisions

And yes that is the issue. DX 80's sell for between $15 and $20k at least.
I’m not sure where you are looking, but there is a guy selling an 80 series cruiser with a 1HDT which was apparently rebuilt 80,000k for $23k ono. So realistically could probably buy that for $20k, sell yours for say $5k depending on condition etc so for an “outlay” or $15k you can end up with a much better cruiser with very little effort.

Again depending on what you can sell yours for, you could add $20-25k and pickup a 1HDFT cruiser which will hold its value for a lot longer than your DX with a new 1HZ.

Honestly, considering the choice in Aus your best bet is to sell yours and buy something clean/with a better motor, or just stick with what you’ve got. You could spend a fortune on your cruiser and at the end of the day it won’t be worth much. People don’t want to buy vehicles with engine swaps and a base spec DX is not really sought after

I’m not sure where you are looking, but there is a guy selling an 80 series cruiser with a 1HDT which was apparently rebuilt 80,000k for $23k ono. So realistically could probably buy that for $20k, sell yours for say $5k depending on condition etc so for an “outlay” or $15k you can end up with a much better cruiser with very little effort.

Again depending on what you can sell yours for, you could add $20-25k and pickup a 1HDFT cruiser which will hold its value for a lot longer than your DX with a new 1HZ.

Honestly, considering the choice in Aus your best bet is to sell yours and buy something clean/with a better motor, or just stick with what you’ve got. You could spend a fortune on your cruiser and at the end of the day it won’t be worth much. People don’t want to buy vehicles with engine swaps and a base spec DX is not really sought after
People are still asking stupid money for diesel cruisers, but that's definitely settled. Asking prices vary a lot.
Asking price isn't selling price.

I watch the prices being asked for Jap import diesel motors as a 'gauge'. There are also places here that do full re-build of 1hz's and add turbo kits, but you are still getting a used motor that's been fully pulled apart and re-made. Because 1hz's are still made new, it presents an option that needs to be considered.

I’d actually say in some cases a rebuild is a better engine due to better designed pistons vs factory. But again, the 1HZ is a pretty average engine and I wouldn’t be spending much on one. Especially when for similar price you can get a 1HDT (is possibly a FT which is a massive massive jump in performance and reliability).

1hz + aftermarket turbo vs 1hdt with factory turbo. I guess they are the options. My 80 has been n/a 1hz all it's life and it's 30 yrs old now.

1hz + aftermarket turbo vs 1hdt with factory turbo. I guess they are the options. My 80 has been n/a 1hz all it's life and it's 30 yrs old now.

If you truly have $20k to spend, use your 1HZ block and crank, and build up a 1HD-T clone, or 1HD-FT clone, and aftermarket turbo, exhaust, intercooler, injection pump, and smile like an idiot for the rest of your 80's life.

1hz + aftermarket turbo vs 1hdt with factory turbo.

Its like comparing a carby 253ci small block chev to a LS3/LS7/LSX.

The 1HZ biggest downfall is indirect injection... While reliable in stock form, you are very limited in terms of power without risking cracking the head in the precombustion chambers not to mention weaker pistons etc. The factory turbos are direct injection, have oil squirters, better pistons and better flowing heads and are just much more refined and can handle a lot more power.

The 1HZ is great at what it was designed to do... but load an 80 series up with stuff and passengers, big tyres and it just doesn't make enough power to be comfortable.

Now I'm not saying they aren't worth turboing (an after market turbo with a bit of boost does wonders) but in terms of spending like $20k to buy a new 1HZ and after market turbo is just madness. And even doing an engine conversion to a 1HDT/FT/FTE isn't really advised due to the effort and cost to only end up with a base DX cruiser. Honestly much much easier and cheaper in the long run to sell your 80 and buy a factory turbo (plus the resale will be much much better).

Now if you had say a mint condition 1997 40th anniversary edition or something, then it may be worth doing an engine swap as it would have decent resale.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, just I've seen sooo many people buy a car cheap (as that's all they could afford at the time) then spend a fortune trying to make it better, to only be left with something more expensive and worse than if they had have just forked out the money up front for a decent vehicle to start with.

And if you are going to spend a fortune on a vehicle, start with something really desirable in the first place as that way it will have massive appeal when you're finished. Think 95-97 1HDFT or Sahara or 40th Anniversary etc.

1HDT is *factory* for an 80 with a turbo. With covid-flation the cost of imported ex-Japan 1hdt's and 1hdft's has ramped up. I don't have any interest in ever re-selling my 80 - Unless it dies due to body rust rendering it unroadworthy a barn door dx 80 with an upgraded engine is all I need. I detest 4wd's with tailgates just personally.

1HDT is *factory* for an 80 with a turbo.

As in, if you have an 80 series which had a 1HZ and was converted to a 1HDT vs a 80 series which was shipped from the factory with a 1HDT, the "Factory" fitted 1HDT will be worth considerably more than the converted vehicle. People are very very weary of purchasing a vehicle which has been modified as most people are "hacks" and take shortcuts/do dodgy things and generally speaking its best to avoid any vehicle which has been modified unless it was done professionally by a reputable shop.

And fair enough, you can do what you want, you seem to have your mind set anyway. Just seems silly to spend ~$20k on a 92 DX cruiser with 690,000km when for a few bucks more you could pickup a 95 1HDFT cruiser with less than 400,000km that'll last a lot longer and most likely appreciate in value over time.

I'm looking at all options. Crate 1hz is one option among many. 1hdft 80's are ultra rare here. import 1hdt still nice.

remember I don't intend to sell my 80 and will drive it until it breaks (or I break!). Given the prices for crate 1hz I agree it's right at the extreme end.

There is a 94 Sahara with a 1HDT and 450,000km currently for sale in Brisbane for $21k... (could probably get him down to $18-19k...)

Sure, paint is faded etc but still...

313925508_5750959998272413_7643959266607803599_n.jpg

310306232_5584037975013479_3384926372080881985_n.jpg

You might find you want two different cars rather than one. I have no intention of trying to upgrade/swap my 1HZ for a turbo. Why? Well I think of it this way. I have a diesel 4x4, because I want to be able to go offroad. The fact is, if I fully load my HZJ80 with gear and five passengers, I can still stick it in low range, and from a standing start crawl up basically anything. It has enough low end torque and gearing to pull itself up, as long as you can find traction and don't roll/beach it, you're set. If we had altitudes in Australia high enough for a naturally aspirated diesel to struggle I might feel differently... but we don't. With the factory HZJ80 gearing, I'm not convinced more torque off road is useful, the 1HZ has enough, any more and you're really just multiplying the chance you'll break something IMO.

Now, on the highway my HZJ80 isn't the fastest, but I don't think it's exactly "slow" either. I'm not going to win too many drag races, and I can't always keep 110kph up a really steep hill fully loaded, but I can at least keep 90 if I'm not half asleep. So if I wanted something that was "faster", I'd really be talking about faster acceleration, higher top speed. But am I still describing a 4x4 at that point? Each step to "improve" the power of the HZJ80 comes with drawbacks, not just cost to modify and reduced resale value, but new maintenance headaches, more potential things to go wrong, and a lot more trouble sourcing parts or getting work done on it. I like the fact I could drive my HZJ80 across the Simpson desert without refuelling, with only basic tools and a handful of spare bits and bobs. That's what makes me smile about my 80. I don't want to mess with that pushing for better street racing cred.

IMO, the ideal setup if you've got the need for speed is two vehicles, one the most bulletproof, dependable 80 that can be built. The other one is whatever the hell else you want to drive places where you want to move a bit zippier, be a bit more comfortable, etc. It may still be a 4x4. It may even still be a Landcruiser, possibly even an 80, but don't ruin the reliable rig trying to turn it into the fast one. You'll end up spending a fortune, and left with neither.

You might find you want two different cars rather than one. I have no intention of trying to upgrade/swap my 1HZ for a turbo. Why? Well I think of it this way. I have a diesel 4x4, because I want to be able to go offroad. The fact is, if I fully load my HZJ80 with gear and five passengers, I can still stick it in low range, and from a standing start crawl up basically anything. It has enough low end torque and gearing to pull itself up, as long as you can find traction and don't roll/beach it, you're set. If we had altitudes in Australia high enough for a naturally aspirated diesel to struggle I might feel differently... but we don't. With the factory HZJ80 gearing, I'm not convinced more torque off road is useful, the 1HZ has enough, any more and you're really just multiplying the chance you'll break something IMO.

Now, on the highway my HZJ80 isn't the fastest, but I don't think it's exactly "slow" either. I'm not going to win too many drag races, and I can't always keep 110kph up a really steep hill fully loaded, but I can at least keep 90 if I'm not half asleep. So if I wanted something that was "faster", I'd really be talking about faster acceleration, higher top speed. But am I still describing a 4x4 at that point? Each step to "improve" the power of the HZJ80 comes with drawbacks, not just cost to modify and reduced resale value, but new maintenance headaches, more potential things to go wrong, and a lot more trouble sourcing parts or getting work done on it. I like the fact I could drive my HZJ80 across the Simpson desert without refuelling, with only basic tools and a handful of spare bits and bobs. That's what makes me smile about my 80. I don't want to mess with that pushing for better street racing cred.

IMO, the ideal setup if you've got the need for speed is two vehicles, one the most bulletproof, dependable 80 that can be built. The other one is whatever the hell else you want to drive places where you want to move a bit zippier, be a bit more comfortable, etc. It may still be a 4x4. It may even still be a Landcruiser, possibly even an 80, but don't ruin the reliable rig trying to turn it into the fast one. You'll end up spending a fortune, and left with neither.

Horses for courses.

I felt the same about my hzj105. It was never gonna set any speed records (although it may or may not have reached 160+km/hr a time or two).

Off-road it was great. Plenty of life speed torque, better than a HD-T can give. Would climb a brick wall
It lacked great reduction in steep stuff, and lacked horsepower for sand.

I do miss my hdj80 with a tickled up turbo and tuning and would have another in a heartbeat.

Turbo chargers aren't particularly complicated. Once installed, there's nothing to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom