Anyone Seen a Starter Body Break Before...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know anything about O'Reilly's Ultima line of starters and alternators? My initial research seems to indicate they're a good quality option, but that's based on limited info. Lifetime warranty also. I can pick one up locally tomorrow for around $100 including the core, so it's very tempting.

Edit to add: I picked up the Ultima this evening at a local O'Reilly's for $89 out the door. They even accepted my broke one as a core. I'm not expecting OEM life out of it, but my rig is a weekend warrior and only driven a few thousand miles a year. Price, convenience and a lifetime warranty were on its side. I'll update if I have any issues with it.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me during my starter job about a week ago. The damn starter was completely seized into the block and no amount of penetrating oil or movement would break it free. I didn’t see this post until after I finally finished the job….

I used basically the same procedure it sounds like you did to get the starter neck out of the block, except I added an air hammer into the mix. If anyone runs into this problem in the future, I highly suggest using an air hammer to save some time. Also, plan a trip to the chiropractor afterward!!!

64270F2F-A20D-44FF-9C92-FEA9ED22E0EA.jpeg

C4D90C2A-8C9A-49F2-B961-3038B74BA12D.jpeg

That does not look like fun-

This just happened to me a few weeks ago. Liquid Wrench (PB wouldn't make it budge even after a week), Map-Pro (torch w/ yellow canister), and a dremel finally got it out.

I grinded a slot in the side of the remainder that was stuck in the engine block, and used a hammer and chisel to break it out in pieces.

That thing came out in pieces over a week of effort and different attempts.

Stick at it, be patient, and don't break anything else out of frustration =).

I have to say, I think drilling out my broken lower alternator bolt was a bigger pain in the a$$, but neither was fun!

I joined this club today. Good times

starter carnage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom