Anyone running a Harrop rear e-locker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am also getting ready to pull the trigger on my rear locker. I already have ARB on-board air compressor and was leaning towards the ARB. Is anyone running a rear Harrop elocker on their rig? The pros would be no worries about leaky air lines, etc. The only con that I have seen on the Harrop is that it sporadically will disengage which is definitely not cool. I believe Harrop is fairly new to the US market so reviews are light. Any feedback would be appreciated. ARB air locker vs. Harrop elocker rear on a 2011 200.

I know with some e-lockers, going from forward to reverse (and vice versa) can cause the diff to unlock. Also, in some cases the diff needs to spin slightly before it locks up. Occasionally they can disengage on their own. I don't know if that's the case with the TT e-locker. Might not be.

That said, I went with ARB with braided air lines. When it's locked, it's locked.

I know with some e-lockers, going from forward to reverse (and vice versa) can cause the diff to unlock. Also, in some cases the diff needs to spin slightly before it locks up. Occasionally they can disengage on their own. I don't know if that's the case with the TT e-locker. Might not be.

That said, I went with ARB with braided air lines. When it's locked, it's locked.
I am leaning hard towards the ARB as well - it is also a few C notes lighter than the Harrop which is an added bonus

I am also getting ready to pull the trigger on my rear locker. I already have ARB on-board air compressor and was leaning towards the ARB. Is anyone running a rear Harrop elocker on their rig? The pros would be no worries about leaky air lines, etc. The only con that I have seen on the Harrop is that it sporadically will disengage which is definitely not cool. I believe Harrop is fairly new to the US market so reviews are light. Any feedback would be appreciated. ARB air locker vs. Harrop elocker rear on a 2011 200.
Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) and I are co-owners of Cruiser Brothers, LLC. We are importers/distributors/retailers for Harrop elockers in US. Since 2015 we have sold over 400 of them here. We have had no reports of sporadic disengagement, nor have we had any in-service failures or maintenance issues, other than a tree limb that pulled out an electrical line - not the locker's fault.

Unlike factory elockers, these units may briefly disengage when reversing direction, but the actuation cycle is quick, if it happens at all.

Most of those Harrops sold have been rear axle installs, somewhere around 70%, I think, including many 200s. No complaints and lots of happy customers/owners. I have had rear Harrops in my Tacoma and a Corvette powered BJ73 - they worked as advertised - and I have one going into my new driver, a GX460 with 8.2" diff.

Harrops and ARBs are comparable, not identical. They are similar, but different. Do your research and look at the facts of actuation mechanism, service issues and cost. Yes, Harrops cost more, but in 8 years of production, they do not require service or repairs.

Search MUD and look at the comments by people that own them and beware of vendor bias, including mine :)

Georg runs a Cruiser shop in Stockton and has sold/installed ARBs for twelve years - and he still does. Yeah, he sells both brands side by side. He does so because sometimes folks have a preference based upon brand, function and budget.

Our Harrop for the 200 rear is A9574 and goes for $1,295 at retail, including install kit and free shipping. Compare that to an air locker and ask yourself what the real difference is over the service life of your vehicle. You won't go wrong with either brand. More info here Harrop ELocker | Toyota 4x4 Differential Lockers | U.S. Dealer

Enjoy!

Plus, you already have the compressor.

But the Harrop units may be just as good. I'd trust Ward's assessment also.
Where did you order your braided air lines?

Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) and I are co-owners of Cruiser Brothers, LLC. We are importers/distributors/retailers for Harrop elockers in US. Since 2015 we have sold over 400 of them here. We have had no reports of sporadic disengagement, nor have we had any in-service failures or maintenance issues, other than a tree limb that pulled out an electrical line - not the locker's fault.

Unlike factory elockers, these units may briefly disengage when reversing direction, but the actuation cycle is quick, if it happens at all.

Most of those Harrops sold have been rear axle installs, somewhere around 70%, I think, including many 200s. No complaints and lots of happy customers/owners. I have had rear Harrops in my Tacoma and a Corvette powered BJ73 - they worked as advertised - and I have one going into my new driver, a GX460 with 8.2" diff.

Harrops and ARBs are comparable, not identical. They are similar, but different. Do your research and look at the facts of actuation mechanism, service issues and cost. Yes, Harrops cost more, but in 8 years of production, they do not require service or repairs.

Search MUD and look at the comments by people that own them and beware of vendor bias, including mine :)

Georg runs a Cruiser shop in Stockton and has sold/installed ARBs for twelve years - and he still does. Yeah, he sells both brands side by side. He does so because sometimes folks have a preference based upon brand, function and budget.

Our Harrop for the 200 rear is A9574 and goes for $1,295 at retail, including install kit and free shipping. Compare that to an air locker and ask yourself what the real difference is over the service life of your vehicle. You won't go wrong with either brand. More info here Harrop ELocker | Toyota 4x4 Differential Lockers | U.S. Dealer

Enjoy!

Thanks Ward, appreciate the quick response! I am willing to bet the disengagement review was related to reversing direction. I know a few people who swear by Harrop lockers. Thanks again

I’m a happy Harrop owner and believe there’s no way to go wrong between ARB and Harrop.

I like not having to worry about air lines. I’ve had no issues with the Harrop but they can be a bit sticky on disengagement. Sometimes it takes shifting to reverse and back into gear. Never the slightest problem engaging, though. EDIT: And definitely no sporadic disengagement.

Whichever way you go, make sure the sway bar doesn’t smash your air or electrical line in the rear.

Last edited:
How woould the 'brief disengagement' affect a situation where you're rocking the truck between D and R?

My opinion, it depends on the magnitude of the disengagement. One situation, if you're on a ledge/shelf like in Moab where you're needing to reverse and go forward several times to get a proper angle, it could cause issues. Where a few inches either way and you're hosed. Anecdotal, but still an example.

There are pros ad cons to both these lockers.....

Sure, the initial parts cost for the ARB units is slightly less. However, they require more labor to install. Typically that added cost brings the total parts & labor cost up to the same as the Harrop install.
The Harrop lockers have a few advantages:
Simpler system; lots less moving parts and a lot fewer components do less chance of failure.
ARB lockers by design will end up leaking air at the o-rings in the seal housing eventually. It's unavoidable. Fixing that requires removing the locker from the axle. Chances are, that'll happen after the warranty period has been surpassed and then you're looking at a $500 repair bill, possibly more.
We have installed lockers in all types of cruisers, from 40s to 200s and EVERYTHING in between.
Hopefully @indycole will chime in on this thread. We installed a set of front & rear Harrops ( and re-geared ) in his late model 200; the first we know of.
As far as "the Harrops can unlock sporadically" ....... I've never experienced that in my own vehicle ( 100-series with OEM rear locker & Harrop front ) or had any of my customers complain of this issue.
We'll be more than happy to help if you have any questions or concerns!
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Either way, you're significantly better off with either system than just the ATRAC.

So true, traction-wise these trucks are nearly unstoppable once triple-locked. I can only imagine what my truck would be capable of with a better driver, lol.

Last edited:
Curious, what additional labor is involved? Aside from the compressor.

Either way, you're significantly better off with either system than just the ATRAC.

Both lockers require the same amount of work/labor as far as the differential itself is concerned.
The Harrop Locker requires the installation of a single switch and 2 wires as well as a single relay. Done.
The ARB lockers require the installation of the compressor ( can be time consuming depending on application and location ), running the air line to the compressor, installation of the wiring harness, two switches, mounting the relay(s) and running a set of wires to the battery.

We've installed a number of both systems. They both work great and are very reliable. But imho, the Harrops are more reliable in the long run.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

So true, traction-wise these trucks are nearly unstoppable once triple-locked. I can only imagine what my truck would be capable of with a better driver, lol.
"Perfect is the enemy of good"

Cole - With your gear and the Valley Hybrids crew, you are definitely good :)

Tanks!

upload_2018-1-17_9-28-51.png

upload_2018-1-17_9-29-7.png

upload_2018-1-17_9-29-26.png

upload_2018-1-17_9-30-0.png

I’ve had trucks with both ARB and Harrop lockers. Both are good in their own right. That said...

Harrop’s do require a half rotation to engage if you go in reverse, and the same if going back to forward position. Air Lockers and 100% lock just like a spool.

When that matters.

Air lockers are better for absolutely crazy technical terrain. When your working your truck much harder than just needing to lock up and get through an obstacle.

Example would be when I’m in crazy rocks, flexed out to the max, really off camber. If I need to back up to take a slightly different line, and my rear axle is only on one tire, the last thing I need, is to have the tire on the ground no longer get power for a half rotation of the differential and then suddenly reengange. While on some crazy balancing act on bigger than the truck rocks.

That’s it, that the only thing I’ve personally noticed. I heard that Harrops “don’t have any issues in big diesel truck.” No, why would they? But that’s not the situation that would see a difference. Most drivers need to lock up, get through something, and unlock. Much fewer are in rock gardens when they never have more than 3 tires on the ground.

There’s a reason Air lockers dominate rock racing. The Harrop I had was terrible in my rock buggy, but not for strength, but that I needed a spool, and it’s just a design difference.

Now (and here’s the kicker) my parents and getting a newer 200, and I’ll be putting Harrops in their 200, because the specific situation that makes the difference, they’ll never be in. But they will still be wheeling in much harder terrain than most on this forum will tackle.

For me, who has the will, and the steel around my truck to drive on trails that are really, to bad for a 200, you need absolute 100% lock. But that’s such a small moment. It’s enough for me, but Harrops are really a better option for the majority. In my small opinion.

Failure wise, I’ve had both the air line in an air locker get a pin hole in it (which was the quickest fix, but it is still a failure none the less). And I’ve had the Harrop’s wiring get ripped by a tree root (also easy to fix with extra wire I carrier) so they are both reliable and strong for housing they are made for.

Last edited:
@schob24 Sir, I just crapped up your thread. Sorry...
I’ve had trucks with both ARB and Harrop lockers. Both are good in their own right. That said...

Harrop’s do require a half rotation to engage if you go in reverse, and the same if going back to forward position. Air Lockers and 100% lock just like a spool.

When that matters.

Air lockers are better for absolutely crazy technical terrain. When your working your truck much harder than just needing to lock up and get through an obstacle.

Example would be when I’m in crazy rocks, flexed out to the max, really off camber. If I need to back up to take a slightly different line, and my rear axle is only on one tire, the last thing I need, is to have the tire on the ground no longer get power for a half rotation or the differential and then suddenly reengange. While on some crazy balancing act on bigger than the truck rocks.

That’s it, that the only thing I’ve personally noticed. I heard that Harrops “don’t have any issues in big diesel truck.” No, why would they? But that’s not the situation that would see a difference. Most drivers need to lock up, get through something, and unlock. Much fewer are in rock gardens when they never have more than 3 tires on the ground.

There’s a reason Air lockers dominate rock racing. The Harrop I had was terrible in my rock buggy, but not for strength, but that I needed a spool, and it’s just a design difference.

Now (and here’s the kicker) my parents and getting a newer 200, and I’ll be putting Harrops in their 200, because the specific situation that makes the difference, they’ll never be in. But they will still be wheeling in much harder terrain than most on this forum will tackle.

For me, who has the will, and the steel around my truck to drive on trails that are really, to bad for a 200, you need absolute 100% lock. But that’s such a small moment. It’s enough for me, but Harrops are really a better option for the majority. In my small opinion.

Failure wise, I’ve had both the air line in an air locker get a pin hole in it (which was the quickest fix, but it is still a failure none the less). And I’ve had the Harrop’s wiring get ripped by a tree root (also easy to fix with extra wire I carrier) so they are both reliable and strong for housing they are made for.

YUP, well said!

Last edited:
Happy HarropF/R and regeared truck owner here. Haven't put the front to any use yet, but very happy with the performance in the rear.

I like the simplicity and no maintenance for the Harrop a lot.

That said, I had ARB's F/R in two 40's and a front in my 100 and was really happy with them too. If I had the compressor already installed, it would make the decision tougher for sure. For me, it was an easy decision to go Harrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom