Anyone run P-rated tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, any feedback after a year+ on the APT's? I'm close to doing the same setup. Go Vipers!

You probably meant to quote someone else.

I ended up buying Falken AT3W, also in p-metric, in 275/60/20. Very happy with them.

Resurrecting this thread per @eatSleepWoof s recommendation.

Hey fellas, i am seriously considering ditching the P rated tires im running. In my initial decision making, i decided to go with a soft and light package.
I shaved 10lbs a corner from stock 21s down to 70lb but my issue is that the tire is way too soft for the weight of the vehicle.
Ive discussed this in a couple of different threads and now may have an opportunity to swap to LTs.

Ive run every pressure from 28-38 PSI and nothing i do can give me a good balance of handling, comfort, and gas milage.
I feel that my optimum pressure is 32-34 at temp, but even then I am not saving any range.
I understand that the width and size is impacting my MsPG but, saving the weight should compensate for that.
Going any higher than 32 cold destroys any semblance of comfort that you would expect.

What are your experiences here?

Another major factor in the better compliance of a P-metric is the lower required cold inflation pressure.

Example: in the 285/70/17 size I need for my rock warriors I’d need to run about 41psi for an e-rated LT tire, but only 30psi for the p-metric equivalent. That is a large difference in “tire spring rate.”

So yes, I asked the same questions you are asking and settled on p-metric better fitting my needs. That said, I ended up going to a 17” wheel to get both the larger tire diameter and keep the 285 width. You should consider the same, as the extra sidewall helps even more with compliance.

But, don’t limit yourself to p-metric. Some tires may be available in other non-LT but also non-P sizes and you may still get all the benefits. Just do the extra research and figure out what pressure you’d need to run to maintain the stock wheel/tire load rating.

I switched from LT285/65r18 KO2s on stock 13 wheels (87# per corner) to P285/70R17 Toyo Open Country ATIIs (73# - close to stock) and couldn’t be happier with the improvement in ride quality. They are a tiny amount (like 5%) louder than the KO2s arguably better tread design but it doesn’t bother me.

I also picked up an average 1.5mpg on the freeway after the switch. Just remembered.

I had no idea we run the same tire! Gonna search for some of your photos.

Last edited:

Hey fellas, i am seriously considering ditching the P rated tires im running. In my initial decision making, i decided to go with a soft and light package.
I shaved 10lbs a corner from stock 21s down to 70lb but my issue is that the tire is way too soft for the weight of the vehicle.
Ive discussed this in a couple of different threads and now may have an opportunity to swap to LTs.

Ive run every pressure from 28-38 PSI and nothing i do can give me a good balance of handling, comfort, and gas milage.
I feel that my optimum pressure is 32-34 at temp, but even then I am not saving any range.
I understand that the width and size is impacting my MsPG but, saving the weight should compensate for that.
Going any higher than 32 cold destroys any semblance of comfort that you would expect.

Since I got king suspension which can better cope with the increased tire/wheel weight and tire spring rate I replaced the p-metric AT2s with LT-C toyo AT3s in the same size. Immediate 2mpg drop on the freeway, despite running the correct higher pressures.

For the record the weight of the setup shouldn’t impact highway mileage, only around-town. Highway has more to do with sustained horsepower output, and this will be impacted by the friction within the tire, friction onto the road surface, and wind resistance. All of these are impacted negatively with a LT tire, but that is necessary to get the more robust construction.

I do miss the better mileage of my P285/70r17 AT2s but at least now my suspension can manage the heavier/stiffer tire and not feel overwhelmed like the stock stuff did. That is enough to keep me happy, and now I can benefit from the more durable sidewalls and deeper tread for mud clearance.

Have you driven the 200 on other (LT) tires? If not, I suggest doing that before buying new tires. You may find that the vehicle still drives in a way you don't like. At the end of the day, these are VERY heavy, VERY tall vehicles. They will never handle like a sports car. You mentioned wanting a semblance of comfort, and if this is also a factor, consider that by switching to LT tires you may win some in the "handling feel" department, and may lose some in the "semblance of comfort" department. Everything is a compromise.

--

I also sometimes find myself wishing for less body roll in twisties, less nose dive under braking, etc., but then, as my tires are squealing in corners, I remind myself that I'm in a huge vehicle that's not meant for that kind of driving, so I should probably re-adjust my expectations and slow the hell down.

Since I got king suspension which can better cope with the increased tire/wheel weight and tire spring rate I replaced the p-metric AT2s with LT-C toyo AT3s in the same size. Immediate 2mpg drop on the freeway, despite running the correct higher pressures.

For the record the weight of the setup shouldn’t impact highway mileage, only around-town. Highway has more to do with sustained horsepower output, and this will be impacted by the friction within the tire, friction onto the road surface, and wind resistance. All of these are impacted negatively with a LT tire, but that is necessary to get the more robust construction.

I do miss the better mileage of my P285/70r17 AT2s but at least now my suspension can manage the heavier/stiffer tire and not feel overwhelmed like the stock stuff did. That is enough to keep me happy, and now I can benefit from the more durable sidewalls and deeper tread for mud clearance.

Im curious to know how AHC handles them. Wow, 2MPG is a huge loss when we're in the low teens to begin with.
I think my issue is the combination of P rated and large aspect tire. What pressure did you run your AT 2s?
Mine bulge WAY too much at anything less than 36. I dont have a go pro to film it, but are undoubtedly flexing too much on corners.

Have you driven the 200 on other (LT) tires? If not, I suggest doing that before buying new tires. You may find that the vehicle still drives in a way you don't like. At the end of the day, these are VERY heavy, VERY tall vehicles. They will never handle like a sports car. You mentioned wanting a semblance of comfort, and if this is also a factor, consider that by switching to LT tires you may win some in the "handling feel" department, and may lose some in the "semblance of comfort" department. Everything is a compromise.

--

I also sometimes find myself wishing for less body roll in twisties, less nose dive under braking, etc., but then, as my tires are squealing in corners, I remind myself that I'm in a huge vehicle that's not meant for that kind of driving, so I should probably re-adjust my expectations and slow the hell down.

I am desperate to drive someones LX on LTs!

I even have a neighbor one street down who has got a '16+ LX on 20s ridge grapplers. I dont think hes on the forum and I never see him outside to stop and ask him. But ideally someone with 17s and a larger sidewall would be a fair comparison though. I dont even want to know what LTs on 20s feels like.

The reason the OE fitment can be running Ps at 33 PSI is because of the low profile and negates the handling characteristics im finding.
I am definitely used to sports cars but i did own an LX 470 as well. It handled cornering decently on the stock 18s and P dunlops and i never went below door tag RCTIP of 32/33. In my current setup with the AHC at play, going to 30-32 PSI starts to feel like it is intruding on the damping rate.
Tires feel like they are slapping instead of rebounding correctly. I do not drive aggressively at all either.

If anyone in Austin is running this type of setup I would love to drive your LX. I will buy you lunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom