Anyone replaced oil cooler coolant lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to reassemble after replacing timing belt. The goal was to replace all rubber coolant/heater parts as well but I'm scratching my head on how to replace the coolant line that runs between the oil cooler and the engine block. See 15777 on the attached diagram.

Without removing the air conditioning compressor, I can't see how to get to the hose clamp

Do people actually replace this hose?

I replaced mine but I had the entire front diff out of the truck at the time which made it slightly easier. Otherwise ya, getting to those clamps is a chore.

One tip I can give you is when it comes time to put the new ones on buy new clamps from Toyota. They come with a little tab that holds them open so you can easily slide them into place and then just pull the tab off and they snap shut. A lot easier than trying to compress them with pliers and slide them into position. Good luck.

Starting to reassemble after replacing timing belt. The goal was to replace all rubber coolant/heater parts as well but I'm scratching my head on how to replace the coolant line that runs between the oil cooler and the engine block. See 15777 on the attached diagram.

View attachment 1937165

Without removing the air conditioning compressor, I can't see how to get to the hose clamp

What site did you get this image from?

10-22, I found it!

Last edited:
Did you ever end up replacing this line? I had an oil cooler seal leak that caused 15777 to swell slightly. I'm going to attempt to replace it. I can get my hand on the clamp but its tricky to get tools up there... Dremeling the clamp looks like the easiest method although I never like cutting things in such cramped areas.

Absolutely horrific job if you have large hands...
I'd rate it at least :banana::banana::banana:. I've engine swapped an 80 series and this single job is harder any other one I've done on the 100 series. Definitely harder than steering rack. Took me about 3 hrs. Expect bleeding of hands.

Ended up snaking my hands above the CV shaft to get an angle on it. I would not recommend doing this as PM unless your hose looks like mine.

In hindsight it might be better to just bite the bullet and slide the AC compressor forward, would probably save time in the end.
IMG_20201105_172116294.jpg

Non oem clamp....🤔
IMG_20201105_172057798.jpg

Used various combinations of these tools.

Last edited:
I had replaced mine about a month ago. I was doing a cooling system overhaul and replacing every rubber hose at that time. This was by far the most difficult hose to access. I didn’t remove anything to get better access. I don’t remember exactly what tool or tools I used. I would have used either long reach straight or 90 degree, needle nosed pliers, kiwi pliers, or the cable type clamp tool. My usual method of hose removal is to cut the hose carefully with a box knife parallel to the nipple, then slide it off. I like to lube the new hose with antifreeze/coolant and they will slide on easily.
I should also add I am a relatively normal sized fella. 5’11” and about a buck 75.

Did mine. It was annoying but doable. Hardest part was getting hose off, not clamp. Need hose clamp cable pliers and some long needle nose hose pliers and assorted hose picks.

Did mine. It was annoying but doable. Hardest part was getting hose off, not clamp. Need hose clamp cable pliers and some long needle nose hose pliers and assorted hose picks.
I didn't have any trouble getting the hose off, but the clamps were brutal even with the cable pliers. They were oriented in a way that I couldn't easily get the cable pliers on them.

Hooked blade for a razor knife makes slitting the hose a breeze and allows good control in tight quarters.

Hooked Blade.jpg

Did you not remove the skid plates?
Sorry. Of course I did. I was thinking about this a little more and I believe I laid with head toward the driver side and my body slightly toward the front. This allowed me lean up and get my arm in there. Not comfortable but doable.

Absolutely horrific job if you have large hands...
I'd rate it at least :banana::banana::banana:. I've engine swapped an 80 series and this single job is harder any other one I've done on the 100 series. Definitely harder than steering rack. Took me about 3 hrs. Expect bleeding of hands.

Ended up snaking my hands above the CV shaft to get an angle on it. I would not recommend doing this as PM unless your hose looks like mine.

In hindsight it might be better to just bite the bullet and slide the AC compressor forward, would probably save time in the end.
View attachment 2487499
Non oem clamp....🤔
View attachment 2487502
Used various combinations of these tools.
There is a special place in Hell for people who use those clamps on anything that's not a garden hose.

always order new clamps so you get the red keeper clip. Those are absolute gold. Keep them so you can reuse them on other clamps. Bench vice and vice grips not included.

New Toyota hose clips and cable type hose clamp pliers. However, if you have to replace your AC compressor - DO THAT HOSE. It's easy and right there in front of you with the compressor out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom