Anyone own a 2001-2004 Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like they will be replacing the frames instead of doing the buy back they were doing on earlier trucks also it looks like if you have one that doesn't qualify you need to have it treated to get the warranty.

Owners of 2001 – 2004 Tacomas have begun to receive letters informing them of a Customer Support Program for frame perforation caused by rust. This warranty extension will be offered for a period of 15 years, five times the original coverage, with no mileage limitation from the vehicle's in-service date, for this specific condition; some conditions apply and these are explained in the Owner Letters.

I can assure you we have gone to great lengths to fortify the integrity of this extraordinary program. Here are some details of the program and what we have done to prepare for this event.

Based on our experience with the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma, we were able to determine that greater than 97% of the perforated frames came from twenty specific Mid-Western and North-Eastern states where road salt use is prevalent.

Owners in the twenty states will have until October 31, 2010 to visit their local dealer for an inspection and application of a corrosion-resistant treatment process in order for the extended warranty to be applied to their vehicle. Toyota is currently preparing the dealerships in these specific twenty states to apply the corrosion-resistant treatment. Customers will receive a letter from us when dealer preparations are complete. Further details and limitations will be provided in the owner letter. Owners in the other thirty states do not need to take action for the extended warranty to be applied.

We encourage owners to wait until they receive their letters to ensure the dealer has ample time to spend with their vehicle.

If the frame is confirmed by the dealer to be perforated, it will be repaired. Obviously, this new program is different compared to the earlier model Tacoma and here’s why.

When we announced the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma program, frame repair was not an option for us or our customers. At the time, we no longer manufactured frames for many variations of these vehicles. In the case of 2001 – 2004 Tacoma, replacement frames are still in production.

To develop this new program, engineers here in Los Angeles, working with Toyota engineers from Japan, created a more comprehensive and less intrusive disassembly and reassembly process with built-in quality. In doing so, they identified all of the major and ancillary parts needed to complete the repair.

Along with a frame, dealers will receive kits that include all the necessary nuts, bolts, washers, clips, mounts, etc. Additionally, they will replace specific major components like leaf springs and lower control arms as necessary. They won’t replace mufflers, brakes and other wear items as part of the program. However, if the owner wants these parts replaced, we provide the opportunity to take advantage of labor savings.

We have allocated a generous amount time for dealers to complete the work and to address the unique challenges specific to each vehicle.

We are confident with the unprecedented steps taken with both programs to minimize the inconvenience of our customers and to protect the value of their vehicles. It is our intention to deliver on the “total ownership experience” and to maintain loyal Toyota customers.

We sincerely appreciate the feedback we receive from sites such as edmunds.com. If you have any concerns with your Tacoma or other Toyota vehicle, please call our toll-free help number at 1-800-331-4331. Thank you.

Brian R. Lyons
Safety and Quality Communications
Toyota Motor Sales USA

Do you have an "official" link to this somewhere? Doesn't sound like a hoax, but I have a few co-workers with trucks of this vintage, and I want to make sure to give them genuine information instead of a worthless chase.

I was at Falmouth Toyota yesterday and there was a truck full of them leaving. All Tacomas that looked to be that vintage.

it was posted on Edmunds.com CarSpace section on 12/19 supposedly

OK, I found the post, but again it just looks to me like a cut-and-paste, anybody could have typed this.

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem - CarSpace Automotive Forums

Looking for a techdoc in PDF on the Toyota site, something like that. Talked to 2 people here, neither has received any communications from Toyota, and they both bought their trucks new.

I have to run down to Hurlbert's in Epping tomorrow, I'll see what they have to say. Thanks!

We did one at our place last week. 60 hours pay, guy did it in 17. Not to bad, hope I get the next one.

Comes with new springs, lower control arms, brake lines, a s***load of bolts, and some other pieces. Nothing like a big box of parts to go with a bare frame.

I have to run down to Hurlbert's in Epping tomorrow, I'll see what they have to say. Thanks!

Was in Epping at the dealer a few weeks back when we bought the FJ for the :princess: and they are doing several a week. I think the sales manager told me they are billing 60 hours for one guy and they are loving the work. Pull the whole cab and nose off as one piece and start swapping over the parts to the new frame. SO I know Hurlbert is doing them.

Yeah, I was there yesterday, the Service Manager said they've done a bunch. He said to just be patient, Toyota is mailing out the notices gradually so the dealerships don't get slammed.

Did you see that nice 40 sitting back by the entrance to the Service bays? It looks so forlorn sitting there, next to that old VW bug. Nice truck, but it needs a paintjob to be perfect.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my 2003 tacoma frame. the gas tank skid plate could use replacing.

I doubt that they use the same amount of salt in VA as they do up here.

While changing the transmission fluid and differential gear oil in my '04 Tacoma, I noticed that the frame has a lot more rust on it than it should. Although my wife's '04 Honda has endured the same winters my Tacoma has, her frame looks new in comparison.

Do any of you have any new information I could present the next time I take my truck in to get an inspection sticker?

Thanks.

They should be sending out notifications to people. I would take it to your local Toyota dealer. They will inspect it and replace the frame if it has any holes. If not they will pay to have the frame rust proofed and the frame warranty is good for 15 years from the original purchase date.

I bought a 2001 Tacoma that had the frame swapped out. I have had the truck now for about 6 months. It is starting to double stop and I think it has to do with the frame swap. I don't know if it is the engine mounts or the body mounts. When I come to a stop, the truck stops, and then it feels like it stops again. The tires aren't moving but the truck definitely shifts forward. It doesn't seem to happen when I start moving, only when I come to a stop. Because of that, I was thinking it wasn't the engine mounts as you would think it would happen regardless if you are stopping and starting. Any ideas?

Are there any known issues like this that have come up when swapping in these new frames?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom