Anyone here used a split cv boot on a 90 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I nicked my cv boot. I tried to put a split boot from a 4Runner on but it’s too stiff and pulls off the wheel end in a tight turn. Has anyone tried one that works? I’d really rather not pull the axle

One of my first projects was to swap out my CVs. It was a much easier job than I thought. Start fresh and eliminate the worries of when will your CV fail.

I went down this path and it was a messy pain in the ass and did work out. If you get to the nic quick enough before the grease has come out everywhere and it's just a small hole/split, you can get away with cleaning the area around the nic and patching it up with some gasket glue or whatever you've got handy. But if it looks like dirt has gotten in, just replace the whole CV. They're that cheap, it's not worth getting your hands dirty over in my experience. It's an easy diy job. I've done one on the side of the road before with minimal tools.

Handy tip for getting the new CV shaft in:

I went down this path and it was a messy pain in the ass and did work out. If you get to the nic quick enough before the grease has come out everywhere and it's just a small hole/split, you can get away with cleaning the area around the nic and patching it up with some gasket glue or whatever you've got handy. But if it looks like dirt has gotten in, just replace the whole CV. They're that cheap, it's not worth getting your hands dirty over in my experience. It's an easy diy job. I've done one on the side of the road before with minimal tools.

Handy tip for getting the new CV shaft in:

Ok ok

I’m just lazy. I tried patching the boot but it didn’t stick because it was on the outside of a pleat. I’ll just replace the damn axle

Something I forgot to add is that you need one of these tools too - to tighten up the straps for the new boot. It's pretty much impossible to do with the CV joint in situ and even on the bench, I struggled to get the metal straps tight enough so they wouldn't leak. One strap I did too tight (broke) and the other not tight enough and the boot kept sliding off. All the while, grease going everywhere. It was bull****! haha So yeah, much easier to just buy a new CV axle complete and call it a day. And the cheap Chinese axles are fine.

Ok ok

I’m just lazy. I tried patching the boot but it didn’t stick because it was on the outside of a pleat. I’ll just replace the damn axle
Get factory CVs from your local dealership. I wouldn't go aftermarket if you can help it.

I'm running aftermarket and have taken them on some pretty intense adventures with no breakages other than torn boots. I couldn't afford to buy new OEM CVS each time I tore a boot lol The only CV breakage I ever had was when a LBJ failed and caused damage to other components in the process

If they’re the same as the t4r I might be able to but I doubt they are
They are Gen 3 4Runner CVs. My local dealer got them for me.
Part Number
43430-35030

Looks like $148 each for factory reman CVs

Last edited:
I'm running aftermarket and have taken them on some pretty intense adventures with no breakages other than torn boots. I couldn't afford to buy new OEM CVS each time I tore a boot lol The only CV breakage I ever had was when a LBJ failed and caused damage to other components in the process
I run 35” tires. Probably need the strongest I can get

I totally agree with you Javelinadave. Go with OEM's. I'm going through a nightmare right now with NAPA axles :frown:. Got new ones in late '21 and returned them in '22 with cracked boots and now the second warranty set after 14 months are the same garbage. Should have gone Toyo from the get go (as I did for my previous 90's)

I totally agree with you Javelinadave. Go with OEM's. I'm going through a nightmare right now with NAPA axles :frown:. Got new ones in late '21 and returned them in '22 with cracked boots and now the second warranty set after 14 months are the same garbage. Should have gone Toyo from the get go (as I did for my previous 90's)
I stopped buying from Napa. I’ve had atrocious service and quality of late

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom