Anyone have have review of BFG radial all terrain KO tires on 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Looking at putting a 275/55/20 BFG AT KO
On my 2008 LX 570.
Anyone here have any feed back. Have used this tire in the past with pretty good results. But it's been
8 years since my last set on a vehicle. Thanks!

I have the LT285/70-17 Load Range E BFG AT T/A KO's on my 2013 LC200 and I like the tires a lot. They ride well on the highway and off-road, wear like iron and don't make a lot of noise. The correct inflation pressure for my size is 38psi.

If you want to run the LT275/55-20 BFG's, your correct inflation pressure is 50psi (data from the 2014 Yearbook The Tire and Rim Association, inc.).

At 50psi on 20" rims, I imagine the ride would be very harsh - too harsh for my tastes, but YMMV.

HTH

Thanks for the info! I may need to go with new rims like a 17 or 18.

I have an LX also. I looked at the BFG's as I have them on my 80 Series Land Cruiser. Ultimately I went with the Toyo Open Country AT II's in 275/60/20. These fit great. The main thing that I liked about them over the BFG is that they are a P-Metic (passenger vehicle) tire instead of an LT (light-truck) tire like the BFG. Because of this they ride a little better.

They are not loud on the highway and I think they perform better than the BFG's off-road.

As someone who owns both tires, I HIGHLY recommend the Toyo's from the LX 570. The size I mentioned fits great and have zero rubbing.

Not to derail your thread but I would like to put these on my '13 200. I loved them on my '03 100. I belive my stock wheel is 18". What's the largest BFG T/A that I can run on my stock wheels at stock hight?

Thanks guys!

~ Carl

Not to derail your thread but I would like to put these on my '13 200. I loved them on my '03 100. I belive my stock wheel is 18". What's the largest BFG T/A that I can run on my stock wheels at stock hight?

Thanks guys!

~ Carl

LT285/65-18 BFG AT T/A's will definitely fit - same diameter as the 285/70-17 recommended by Toyota. :)

Thank you Gaijin!

-Carl

I may try the BFG Rugged terrain they offer a P series 275/60/20. MAybe that will ride better.

old, tired design. i'd look for a newer, updated AT tire. they're loud and not much quieter than a toyo mud terrain.

or wait a few months for the updated BFG All-Terrain coming out this year. While the current design is "old", it is still pretty awesome. Northern tire shops will be able to add additional sipes for better wet and snow traction.

I'm getting some wheels powder coated this week and just ordered black lugs through Gorilla auto parts. They have sweet black forged ones for the Toyotas too. $100/ set of 20 on ebay supplier.

I test fitted the 33" Duratrac last week to find that while it actually does fit and under most articulation conditions, I think I need to stick with no larger than 32" given my air suspension and catastrophic situation I'd be in if air system failed while on a trail and bigger tires. :( Really wanted the 33" to work but doing a ramp test with full stuff of rear tire into fender liner the 32" just begins to makes circumferential contact at maximum diagonal articulation.

For the LC200, the Duratrac is really sweet in either 275/65x18 (32") or 275/70x18 (33"). BFG 285/65x18 would also be fine (32.5) but pushing the limits on ideal rim width. Consider handling in emergency situations and the recent thread "totalled my 200". Wider than 285/65 really ought to go on a 9" rim for optimal handling.

If nothing more than fire roads are planned, the Michelin LTX M/S 2 is really nice and available in E loads 275/65x18 and 275/70x18. I have found them to provide +10% fuel economy using the LTX Winter version. The MS2 has a 70,000 mile wear warranty too.

or wait a few months for the updated BFG All-Terrain coming out this year. While the current design is "old", it is still pretty awesome. Northern tire shops will be able to add additional sipes for better wet and snow traction.

I'm getting some wheels powder coated this week and just ordered black lugs through Gorilla auto parts. They have sweet black forged ones for the Toyotas too. $100/ set of 20 on ebay supplier.

I test fitted the 33" Duratrac last week to find that while it actually does fit and under most articulation conditions, I think I need to stick with no larger than 32" given my air suspension and catastrophic situation I'd be in if air system failed while on a trail and bigger tires. :( Really wanted the 33" to work but doing a ramp test with full stuff of rear tire into fender liner the 32" just begins to makes circumferential contact at maximum diagonal articulation.

For the LC200, the Duratrac is really sweet in either 275/65x18 (32") or 275/70x18 (33"). BFG 285/65x18 would also be fine (32.5) but pushing the limits on ideal rim width. Consider handling in emergency situations and the recent thread "totalled my 200". Wider than 285/65 really ought to go on a 9" rim for optimal handling.

If nothing more than fire roads are planned, the Michelin LTX M/S 2 is really nice and available in E loads 275/65x18 and 275/70x18. I have found them to provide +10% fuel economy using the LTX Winter version. The MS2 has a 70,000 mile wear warranty too.
When are the NEW BFG All-Terrain expected to come out? I just got my new LC three weeks ago and I can't wait to get rid of these stock tires.

I think the Rugged T/A is fairly new - I have a set (265/70 18) on my 100. They are between an AT and all season MS tire. Good handling in the rain, and quiet. Passenger rated tire - fairly soft when under-inflated. Decent looking tire - Not sure how they handle off road - but probably a good tire for a DD with occasional medium/light off roading.

old, tired design. i'd look for a newer, updated AT tire. they're loud and not much quieter than a toyo mud terrain.

I'm leaning towards the Rugged TA with the P raiting for my 20 inch wheels. I would just like a beefier tire under my LX that will give me some off highway use.

When are the NEW BFG All-Terrain expected to come out? I just got my new LC three weeks ago and I can't wait to get rid of these stock tires.
So far they are still just out with testers. I thought I read that they would be available sometime later this year though.

This thread sucks without pictures.

I run the Duratracs 28570r18. I did cut an inside side wall on some very sharp shale rock in Arkansas at the superlift park at the southern cruiser crawl. Had to run to town and I could only find one place that had any 28570R18 so l had to go with an off brand. I replaced it after I got home back with a new Duratracs.

image.jpg

Last edited:
WP_20140423_003.jpg
WP_20140423_002.jpg
WP_20140423_001.jpg
Apologies for the dirty truck on my first post. BFG AT TA KO's 285 65 x 18s were installed in October replacing 275 65 x 18s Michelin LTX AT2s I had for nearly 70k miles. They both were proceeded by the absolute worst tires I've ever owned, the OEM Dunlops.

Review of the BFGs: Out of the shop, they felt more comfortable than the Michelins, immediately noticed the extra weight of the LT tire and so did the gas mileage. Went from ~15mpg to 13 mpg. Highway noise is negligible and comparable to the Michelins. Wet and snow performance has been fantastic. Driving over Snoqualmie pass on March 3rd during a blizzard, had zero issues. Pulled friend with Range Rover out of my driveway in February. No rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom