Anyone found an alternate front crank seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remember your dealing with a landcruiser, not a "regular" Toyota. People think there mini trucks, 4-runners, and tacomas are reliable. Well guess what, they ain't got nothin on Mr T's flagship vehicle. Cruisers have always been the most reliable rigs built by Mr. T.....
and the most gutless:rofl:

This here is a great example of cruiser reliability. These super tough seal groove resistant harmonic balancers almost cancel out the head gaskets.
Yeah my wife loves this thing, this is the longest shes been without it. I made her buy a new 4runner a couple years ago when it hit 200K, the 4runner sits in the driveway most days. My 11 yr old son is a Yota guy too, I built him a crawler out of an 85 mini when he was 6, he wheels by $60K jeeps all day long on the rocks

I'm not sure if we can "see" the rubber degradation simply by eyeballing it after the HB been in service for 25 years :hillbilly:

I recently pulled an original 25 year old HB from a 95 FZJ80 and found that the rubber was pushing out rearward from the narrow gap, and that bulge/rim of rubber was rubbing a groove into the aluminum oil pump cover. I thought about maybe salvaging that HB by cutting the rubber (that had poked out almost evenly around that narrow gap) off with a utility knife but found the rubber to be hard and brittle, also figured that the HB was getting close to failure.

As mentioned above, I wondered how much "harmonic balancing" the aged hard rubber between the two halves of the HB can do at that point (whether it's poking out or not) or does it act more like a solid crank pulley once the rubber degrades (hardens) past a certain point?? And does that make any difference in the 1FZFE engine?? IDK, but plan to replace the HB either way as the engine is being replaced. FWIW.

Last edited:
I seem to recall (dont quote me on this tho- old info) its only first order harmonics in an inline 6 under 6000rpms (old old inliners.org stuff) which are a bunch easier to control. Even worn old rubber and decoupled halves of a balancer is likely enough to dissipate harmonics which is why we arent really seeing any cracked or broken crankshafts in the 1fz,3fe or on the forum........except for the early diesel 1hdts -90,91s which coincided with some of Mr.T s patents and "new" crank forging processes being developed, tested in the early 90s.

recall- Mr,T engineers were a bit obsessed with vibrations and balancing in this era - think 1uz commercial for the LS400 motor where they had a glass of while on the running motor. The 1uz was so balanced that one of its derivatives the FV2400-2TC is one of only a few road based engines certified for aircraft by the FAA. 1uz and 1fz engineering started about the same time in the mid 80s.....with 1uz spannimg 1989 and up and the earliest carbed 1fz's testing before the 3fes came out in 88. So Mr T engineering in this era would point to some absolute overkill when it came to the HB and failure vs how long it would work even beyond what most would deem as "worn out"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom