Anyone Compared C vs E Rated Tires on their 200? (2 Viewers)

Would you choose E or C rated tires?

• C

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • E

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Neither, I hate my spine and only roll on F rated cement

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered new Alpha rims and am banging my head against the wall on which load rating to order. I am going with a 285/75/17 and have the option between a C or E rated tire. I am currently on E rated 275/70/18 Falken ATW3s which I think are a bit stiff, but I don't know if that is a symptom of tire age or my mental paranoia (both?). I do some occasional trail riding (Colorado annually at a minimum) and do pull a trailer 3-4 times a year. I believe I am well within the C rated tire limits, but didn't know if they would be really floaty or just soak up the road imperfections. I have been searching for 2 days on here and just wanted to ask point blank. Thanks Mud, and any tire recommendations in this size is welcome as well.

Rim picture for some visual enjoyment. ;)
DVYP0Yugilduwq4o_vAwr0nG0jmFPCNV0B221tT6Ty0c-2cs7naDkh8jeCZ1v6hvg99Wpze8rHPT4ByiuqoLC-FC8AUuZE8KseUQVxRrlpEss1PfRbpQCoyz50Z9WJv9XBya2NRto2ZNZmmrM-ugl8hS7iLHoVBccFWaUiwR31OKaRkyM9CktkQU1nGU5KHe1fks34vfyW_MvWfev6kA1ZzHOTT9UbC4FnH3Xbai2G31qt9Id01wdCWVG4PmqfnI1fdFLcsY_ZIexdqILZu66iNjo0bE_2Tv0l3onYx6H36-JYsqUWarQttbREu-OWURkBMwLibrKco0niiJvvkL0lkQV12_X01MCADJMOBG57D_6l8haslZJfGkTIVdaIeY9_5YvGyqjTLMxiBW1329eUh_SKklxUOVuSqUu4Hj2S8WAhE35Z-Apbkk7omMZHyX-VPjss3WUzVJxvn1JNul5d3LhL4S5l-ZSXCFP665bWAFW3e5-dzzR9vM3daV57W2YkdF2r2BsZvBFROYh_TTlVUrFWUhXt7hYnE0KBbgIxMO1DvrR5v1PnRT4dWcoMUSCR6evMJqh-4YNXW_LVAViS1KpYH1fdtQOdNwD0Hg-8IrzwzBG8CJGDh0LU5So4WRZGAFeXKH6vx2YYhrgKEXlDJc3yY_SzO7g5RkhVe28FDjRw4gyAhFpcOIG21fJkkVE8AuHzdNDtRT0zIQanGOSlud6iHy_QmJ1NtUPwziO2a8TXBhWPsHQgRPilubGyc=w1920-h865-no

Suggest c rated, or d. I have had stock P, 125load E, 129 load E, and 121 load D (flotation size).
Of all these the 121 load D is most comfortable of the non P sizes, and I like the ride better than the P, though no doubt it’s a bit firmer.

Suggest c rated, or d. I have had stock P, 125load E, 129 load E, and 121 load D (flotation size).
Of all these the 121 load D is most comfortable of the non P sizes, and I like the ride better than the P, though no doubt it’s a bit firmer.
Interesting, thanks for the reply Grinchy. Curious what tires you had in the D rating? I was looking at Nitto RGs in the C and E, but didn't see a D rating in any tire. Thanks.

The bigger in size you go the less non-E rated options you'll have. For what it's worth, I have been running E-rated tires on 4Runners, GX's, LX/LC for years now and I have no desire to seek out a D or C rated tire.

How big/heavy is your trailer? I've got a camper that's maybe 2k loaded up and I occasionally haul big loads (5k+) to the dump (short distance). But 97% of the time I'm not hauling anything. I'd go C personally for my use if I could get the size I wanted in a C.

I have run E tires of various sizes on various cruisers and other yotas over the years, but I can only think of one instance where my E tire survived damage that probably would have killed a C tire. In my mind that's worth the tradeoff to have a better ride on and off the trail. I have become a bit of a ride-quality ninny since my wife is a complainer :eek: She'd probably rather watch me change a flat than experience a harsher ride, lol.

:edit: and good buy on the Alpha wheels. I looked long and hard at those before I cheaped out on some craigslist tundra wheels/tires. I can't believe how reasonable they are on tirerack.

Last edited:
I am running E rated BFG all terrains in 17" around 35-40psi and the tires are great. I would not go with a lower rated tire, especially if you off road. I do not notice the ride being any extra stiff by any means. Going 17" rim will give you more sidewall than a stock 18" rim which also helps with compliance (and is another reason to go with E rated tires if you are on the fence).

I too run E rated BFG K02's in the 17" wheel size at around 38-40psi and its been great, no complaints of on road ride quality with this size.

I went from - set of KO2s E rated 275/75-17 to KO2 C rated 285/70-17 for my summer tires. I tow a ~6800 lbs camper ~7-10k miles a summer and off road often here in Alaska. The C’s do better in the sand and ride slightly softer on road. No way I would go back to an E.

10804FE5-6E7F-4262-9685-C8E1D6153AF5.jpeg

You can find barely used c rated 285/70r17 ko2s that are jeep take offs and try them out. That's what I did and no part of me wants to spend more for the e.

I've been running my E-rated Nokian Rotiiva AT+ at 42psi cold, and it is a harsh ride. 275-70R18. Lowered the tire pressure to 35psi last week to run 6-hours to Louisville with the wife, and I'm amazed at how much smoother the ride is. Mileage seemed about the same. Much better going around rough curves, at 42psi the tires bounce and lose traction. Planned to bring the pressure back up for my run to Chicago this morning, but really liking the smooth ride, kept them soft.

These tires have been amazing on the highway on slush, snow, ice, probably the best tracking I've ever gotten running 50mph on slush and ice, but that was at 42psi. Different pressures for different purposes I'm learning.

You got me thinking to change my KO2s to C rated, my spine has been hurting alot lately. Was thinking about michelin defenders again but they come in E rated only in 285/70R17. Mainly focused on ride comfort.

I imagine it wouldn't make as much difference in cars with AHC?

Note: some C-rated BFG KO2s have 2-ply sidewall.

I know that this does not apply here, but my Load Range D KO2 in stock size is pretty darn great. My D has 3-ply sidewall as do all Load Range E i believe.

Based on these DUELER A/T REVO 3LT295 /70 R18 129S E1 BSW at 55lbs each, would it be a stiffer or a better ride to the RIDGE GRAPPLERLT285 /70 R18 127Q E1 BSW at 60lbs each? Hardly any good options for a 18” wheel unless I go down in tire size to say a 275 or 285/65, 285/60. I have considered a SL rated 275/70 but not sure if that’s ok for a 8” rim and might look a little skinny.

Based on these DUELER A/T REVO 3LT295 /70 R18 129S E1 BSW at 55lbs each, would it be a stiffer or a better ride to the RIDGE GRAPPLERLT285 /70 R18 127Q E1 BSW at 60lbs each? Hardly any good options for a 18” wheel unless I go down in tire size to say a 275 or 285/65, 285/60. I have considered a SL rated 275/70 but not sure if that’s ok for a 8” rim and might look a little skinny.
The Revo is an ultramild AT and the Ridge Grappler a medium aggressive R/T.

I suggest picking the type of tire you are after and sticking within peers for the comparison.

Toyo/Nitto makes most of their range in 285/70r18, the mildest A/T Grappler is the Terra Grappler, they have a HT Duro Grappler, and a couple other AT options (Terra G2, Recon). On the Toyo side the LT3 gets a lot of anecdotal praise.

The Revo is an ultramild AT and the Ridge Grappler a medium aggressive R/T.

I suggest picking the type of tire you are after and sticking within peers for the comparison.

Toyo/Nitto makes most of their range in 285/70r18, the mildest A/T Grappler is the Terra Grappler, they have a HT Duro Grappler, and a couple other AT options (Terra G2, Recon). On the Toyo side the LT3 gets a lot of anecdotal praise.
If I could go back I would totally have gotten the Revo's or Pirelli Scorpions. I went from P LTX's (came on the car) to K02's that are E. It does ride harder, and MPG suffered BUT... they have performed great offroad. I think next round I will try something different and just see what happens. I will say my current disdain for my KO2's are because of how much of a PITA they were to get balanced. I have been a big BFG guy for years, but this set just failed me in every way, except offroad....

While there is a side-by-side difference in sidewall stiffness between a C or E-load in a given tire, from the driver's seat this difference will be very hard to detect, especially when compared to the difference in minimum pressure required between your stock P-metric and any LT-metric tire. That and increased mass is where the bulk of the ride quality hit come from.

Which means it's up to you. If you are going to an LT tire, you could go C to claw back a negligible amount of ride quality, or go E for the (marginally) increased toughness knowing it doesn't add a whole lot to the ride quality hit.

For some people, there are other things to consider.

The tires I run were available in both (and P), and I went C, knowing I rarely tow and spend more time on the road getting to the trail than actually on it. For the record from my standpoint the marginally more flexible sidewalls of C translated to better fuel economy and given my roadtrip style.. that was the nail in the coffin for E-load tires in my case. It may be hard to detect the difference in fuel efficiency but over the lifespan of the tires, given no clear benefit to E for me.. C-load it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom