Anyone build a rear tire carrier and Jerry can holder? Pics if you got them. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I said in my post, I’m in the process of adding the cooler/jerry can swing out. This will be it own swing out, but I see some variations I’m contemplating for my build.
1) one latch or two? I see both and I wonder about one latch holding both. Is it safe? Is it more convenient two be able to lock one and swing the other independently? It would be cheaper to use the one I have...
2) “basket or tray”? Trays are more flexible in termed of what’s carried, but baskets are more secure?
What do you think?
And struts are on the to do list. I bought a lock pin, but I’m leaning toward struts now...

I like the strut idea.
Here is what I did to eliminate the arms swinging into the rear quarter.
SS braided cable,crimps and some SS hardware.
20180531_072904.jpg
20180531_072850.jpg

I went with dual carriers as well. Stock 76 on the left and one from a 68 on the right. Did this mod back in the 90s, wheeled it hard and never had any issues or rattles.

Fotor_155906056160165.jpg

I just finished mine. The vertical receiver tube behind the license plate will accept a cooler basket or gas carrier, but I haven't made those yet. I used parts from ruffstuff, ballistic fab, and Allstar Performance. Its all 1/4 wall tubing.

I don't have a detail photo of it, but it automatically locks in the open position via a spring loaded latch.
Its mounted behind the main swing out near the spindle so its hidden from view when closed.
You pull up on the latch pin to close the swing out.
Ruffstuff Locking T-Handle Pull Pin Latch, Spring Loaded

As I said in my post, I’m in the process of adding the cooler/jerry can swing out. This will be it own swing out, but I see some variations I’m contemplating for my build.
1) one latch or two? I see both and I wonder about one latch holding both. Is it safe? Is it more convenient two be able to lock one and swing the other independently? It would be cheaper to use the one I have...
2) “basket or tray”? Trays are more flexible in termed of what’s carried, but baskets are more secure?
What do you think?
And struts are on the to do list. I bought a lock pin, but I’m leaning toward struts now...

I had struts on a different bumper and they broke after a while. The lock pins are much cleaner and reliable in my opinion.

Double swingouts don't provide additional function unless you have barn doors (which I don't).
Regarding the latch, I went with a single full width swing out and a single latch. The Destaco 341R has an additional safety latch.
341-R - Pull-Action Latch Clamps | DESTACO

I just finished mine. The vertical receiver tube behind the license plate will accept a cooler basket or gas carrier, but I haven't made those yet. I used parts from ruffstuff, ballistic fab, and Allstar Performance. Its all 1/4 wall tubing.

I don't have a detail photo of it, but it automatically locks in the open position via a spring loaded latch.
Its mounted behind the main swing out near the spindle so its hidden from view when closed.
You pull up on the latch pin to close the swing out.
Ruffstuff Locking T-Handle Pull Pin Latch, Spring Loaded
View attachment 1988379
View attachment 1988415

Love it. Retains the round tail lights. I may hit you up for more info down the road.

Love it. Retains the round tail lights. I may hit you up for more info down the road.

These are the lights I used, they are not stock of course but I wanted to remain the stock look.
The OD of the light is 5.5", so it fits perfectly into a slice of 6" nominal 0.25" wall steel tube.

I'm happy to share info, I spent a while amassing all of the parts & pieces before I started fabbing.

These are the lights I used, they are not stock of course but I wanted to remain the stock look.
The OD of the light is 5.5", so it fits perfectly into a slice of 6" nominal 0.25" wall steel tube.

I'm happy to share info, I spent a while amassing all of the parts & pieces before I started fabbing.

Definitely will get in touch when I start. I’ll do the same and start buying parts little by little until I’m ready to build. Thanks for the pics and info.

Well I just finished mine today. Bought a 1984 AC/DC Tri Star Welder with monster 30' extension cord off Craigslist for $60, $10 for welding rods, $20 for new angle and bar iron, thick vinyl coated cable and clamps for $4.50 Lowes (theft of gas can preventer,) $10 for tag holder off Amazon and scrounged in my garage for nuts bolts wire and paint. Had my old style US Army gas can already.

As stated in my previous post here on 1st page I wanted to attach it to the stock tire carrier. Did it like I described earlier. It works great no additional noise or banging all is supported well. Man can I weld good! well..good and sloppy...haven't welded in a couple of decades and it shows! But the welder did good and made strong welds using DC mode. Took more than a little grinding and touch up welding. I used the license plate holder mount on the tailgate door for additional support, the angle iron on the back of rack slides right over it.
gas can rack 030.jpg
gas can rack 024.jpg
gas can rack 020.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s my tubular OEM spare with a modified carrier for jerrycans or a cooler. The link to the process

4A8CCA63-BE03-4C8B-9305-9F9EBF1E7184.jpeg

@SMG where did you get those spring loaded T-handle pins? I'm struggling to find something that will go through 2" tubing.

I used a tire carrier I modified to hold a couple of Jerry cans. I wanted to keep it looking stock and keep the bumperettes.

It wasn't too hard to cut and re-weld things to fit. I welded in captive nuts and backing plates to support the weight.

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

lots of great set ups here. This is my setup. I am able to hold three jerry cans/water cans along with my portable toilet. And I use my CB antenna to hold the flag.

IMG_8527.JPG

IMG_8578.JPG

I did not build mine; it was made by a company called Stout Equipment, now sadly defunct. So if you like any or all of it there'd be no issue in copying it. It's been on the truck for 20-some years and I've never touched a socket to it to tighten anything. It's rock solid—there is NO movement of the tire, and I once jacked the rear of the vehicle clear of the ground off the back of the jerry can carrier on a dare.View attachment 1987746View attachment 1987747View attachment 1987748

The Stout hinges are nothing more than a piece of nylon dowel drilled to fit a 5/8" bolt stuffed inside a short section of steel tube. Grease them once every 5 years or so and they'll last forever.

The owner/builder told me he got out of the business because so many companies started making junk swing-outs for the wannabe crowd. Less and less customers were willing to pay for his quality products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom