Anyone around Asheville that can install a GX470 radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
Maybe you can help or know someone that can do the whole job? And when I say help....I mean that you know way more than I do and I'm happy to help within my limited abilities. ;) It is a 2008 GX. I've got the radiator ordered. I can grab more coolant, etc. Radiator probably won't be here until Saturday. Had a slow leak, but now getting a little more serious so I'd like to get it swapped asap.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't get the hands on home help you want - just take it to my friends @ McMahan Auto in Leicester. Tell them Jess says hi.

Maybe you can help or know someone that can do the whole job? And when I say help....I mean that you know way more than I do and I'm happy to help within my limited abilities. ;) It is a 2008 GX. I've got the radiator ordered. I can grab more coolant, etc. Radiator probably won't be here until Saturday. Had a slow leak, but now getting a little more serious so I'd like to get it swapped asap.

Thanks in advance!
Your factory service manual is here: FSM - 2004 FSM - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/2004-fsm.7/
Might be worth looking over the cooling section and seeing that the steps are / if that is something you would want to tackle.

I did the 100 in like 2 hours. Very straight forward. Same motor, maybe a little less room. Also, a mechanic told me about pinching off the lines with clamps and then you don't even have to drain all the fluid out. That would have saved 30 minutes. U should go for it. ;<)

I did the 100 in like 2 hours. Very straight forward. Same motor, maybe a little less room. Also, a mechanic told me about pinching off the lines with clamps and then you don't even have to drain all the fluid out. That would have saved 30 minutes. U should go for it. ;<)

I’m thinking about it. My issue is that I had back surgery in December and don’t want to get halfway in and decide my back can’t take it.

I agree with @uzj100 about the ease of replacement, at least on an LX. I added another couple hours of cursing and swearing because I replaced heater tees and small hoses and clamps in 95*F weather, but the radiator itself was probably about as simple as it can get. That also means that you shouldn't worry overly much about trusting it to somebody else.

I’m thinking about it. My issue is that I had back surgery in December and don’t want to get halfway in and decide my back can’t take it.
That is different. Back intensive. Or get a 5 gallon bucket to stand on. None of the pieces are that heavy. That is a tough call.

That is different. Back intensive. Or get a 5 gallon bucket to stand on. None of the pieces are that heavy. That is a tough call.

Do I need anything other than the radiator? Any extra coolant or anything?

Do I need anything other than the radiator? Any extra coolant or anything?
Depending on the age of the coolant, you may want to replace it all. If not, just capture and reuse. If capture and reuse, I would have an extra gallon around because you might spill some. Also, clean up really well because not good for pets.

Yea - let the crud settle to the bottom of the bucket and pour back in the good stuff - add more. Don't forget to check if you add water to it or not - I think the "old good stuff" red Toyota fluid is 1:1 mix??? Can't remember.

Edit - of course, I'd prolly let a good shop do it at this point in my life. 6 months from now, hopefully I am doing it again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom