Anybody running a Cold Air Intake on their 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used to think they were kind of lame, as most of them really took hot air from inside the hot engine compartment because the intake hose was too short. I have an '05 Corolla XRS with the Celica GTS engine in it, and a friend gave me a great deal on a used Injen CAI for it that really is a "cold" air intake as the nozzle end is not in the engine compartment but up front by the bumper....

Anyway, I really like the added performance, the quality of the air filter, and the throaty sound when the lift kicks in.......does anyone run CAI's on their 80 series? Why or why not? Seems that some people swear by them, some people swear at them.....:D

First someone will tell you to "use search", then someone else will say the factory system is great so don't mess with it, after that somebody will say that cold air intakes let in too much dirt, eventually a snorkel will be recommended.........:meh:

I have never used one so I am useless.

Wow what a perfect reply.... You just summed up this whole threads future into one post! Awesome.

OP, stick with the stock system. If you want cooler air get a snorkel. It connects to the stock intake system and filter.

You can hear the air intake with a snorkel. Get one.

First someone will tell you to "use search", then someone else will say the factory system is great so don't mess with it, after that somebody will say that cold air intakes let in too much dirt, eventually a snorkel will be recommended.........:meh:

I have never used one so I am useless.

It is funny because it is true.

Anyone with a snorkel is running a proper cold air intake system.

Why? It gathers air from outside the hot engine bay. This, a true CAI

You can hear the air intake with a snorkel. Get one.
x2
especially when it gets into the higher rpms. plus ive noticed more acceloration with mine

The stock system is very well designed. Is very good at filtering and has huge dirt load capacity, has little restriction and draws from the coolest place under the hood. Unless you are planning to do a bunch of testing, design work and spend a bunch of $$$, anything else would be a downgrade.

I p
I used to think they were kind of lame, as most of them really took hot air from inside the hot engine compartment because the intake hose was too short. I have an '05 Corolla XRS with the Celica GTS engine in it, and a friend gave me a great deal on a used Injen CAI for it that really is a "cold" air intake as the nozzle end is not in the engine compartment but up front by the bumper....

Anyway, I really like the added performance, the quality of the air filter, and the throaty sound when the lift kicks in.......does anyone run CAI's on their 80 series? Why or why not? Seems that some people swear by them, some people swear at them.....:D

I put them in my 4runner

received_2371017893143859.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpg

I like to point the intake towards the windscreen so that the hot hood warms up the air before being sucked in...

Plus you can flip errant mosquitos and bugs directly into the 80's intake with the wipers. More calories=more BTU's.

Unless your using as a mall crawler, any movement of air intake for me would be higher. I often have the front bumper under water. This is a tractor engine and your not going to get any seat of the pants enjoyment from any air modification. I do like cleaner air i get from the using a snorkel and using the odb port i do get 50 or so deg cooler air on hot days compared to trucks running in the same group without one.

I will vote snorkel as well for both the functional and conversational arguments. The snorkel keeps intake temps within ~10*F +/- of ambient temps. My stock intake 80s run higher intake temps. Does it make a real difference? Possibly over a very long timeline the cooler intake temps will help :meh:

I can say I have been approached several times about the snorkel by people either asking what it is or that it looks cool. Further research is required by someone younger, better looking and way less married than myself to confirm panty drop status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom