Anybody let there cruiser sit for a week or more? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yomama.net
I have a "few" extras added on to my cruiser, but I have apparently toasted my third battery "thank god for my HellRoaring and second battery". If I leave my cruiser sit for like three days the primary battery had a hard time starting. It wears down the battery and seems like after being drained near dead like three times, my 1000cca battery is toast. Basically I am going through a battery a year. I had the receipts and would just return and exchange it, but this time around I can't find the receipt. So I am planning on going for a Optima Red, however with all the "toys" and basic crap wearing on my battery when I turn the key off I am wondering if I would be better off going for an Optima Blue.
What do you guys think?

Yomama

Re: Anybody let there cruiser sit for a week or mo

Yomama,

I have a pretty much stock 91, with a stock toyota battery (not the original!) Due to a work/school arrangement I had to park my cruiser for about 7 weeks, didn't drive it once in that time, and it fired up just fine. I had a similar problem to the one you are describing, with excessive drain on the batteries, in a BMW 325i convertable (that didn't see much action in the winter) the memory for onboard computer would just tear though batteries, we went through about like 2 in a year I believe. An easy solution to this problem is buying a battery charger, it won't be much use if you don't have a garage for your cruiser, but it did wonders for our BMW.

Cheers,
John

You shouldn't have much of a drain if anything if the rig is just sitting there for a week. What all do you have running when it's sitting? I know you have the hellroaring, but how is it setup - do you have an isolator?

Wassup with your site momma boy? :slap: :D

Junk,

The HellRoaring is setup as an isolator, that is the only thing that is saving my ass right now. The main battery, even if I charge it will only start in the AM, then sitting during work 9hrs she is almost dead.
What do I have? The usual crap, your clock, OEM security, aftermarket radio has somedraw for memory, I also had two of those "anti rust" units running all the time (just disconnected those, not that they actually work, but here in the great land of road salt "Minnesota" I will try most anything), also have a 1 fared capacitor (not sure if that drains), remote starter unit, also an extra ECU for my turbo. I just think it is all this crap together creates too large a drain, that is why I was thinking the Blue top?

My web site? I am always having problems with that damn thing, then again, it is probably all the other crap running on that too. (Do I dare say I am a Systems Administrator?). I don't have much time to fix my OWN things as everyone in my neighborhood knows I fix PC's.

Yomama

You might start by unplugging the seats. These are powered all the time and if by chance a switch is shorted it could be driving a motor to it's limit which might be where you prefer it anyway and haven't noticed it yet. Just a thought

Yo,

Try a load test with the engine off. I think you have more draw than you should. With the meter hooked up, start isolating your circuits 'til you find the draw. Then maybe "switch" the offending party so it's only "on" when the vehicle is running. :dunno:

&nbsp:Dan

I like the Yellow top, Its the middle ground between the Red and Blue. I just toasted a Red Top in only 6 months. Are you still running a stock alternator? It may not be charging the battery fully, thus the battery is already partially drained by the time that you turn off the car and then all those accessories start to drain a only partially full battery.
What is the capacitor for? They do not drain, they smooth out current flow in circuits that need punctuated current, ie large subs.

GA,

I have a Mean Green alternator, the OEM had the same problem, so I thought the MG would solve it, but my drain is too great apparently.
The capacitor is for the audio system, hooked up to my amp.

What caused your Red top to toast so quick?

Yomama

cruiserdan,

Yes, that is what I will probalbly need to do. I tried pulling all fuses to see if it changed at all you can actually watch the volts on the meter count down as it is pulling the juice, so far the isolation has not been successful. I will probably try again. I was thinking after that that it was mearly the accumulation of all that was causing the drain.

Yomama

Junk,

What do I have?  The usual crap, your clock, OEM security, aftermarket radio has somedraw for memory, I also had two of those "anti rust" units running all the time (just disconnected those, not that they actually work, but here in the great land of road salt "Minnesota" I will try most anything), also have a 1 fared capacitor (not sure if that drains), remote starter unit, also an extra ECU for my turbo.  I just think it is all this crap together creates too large a drain, that is why I was thinking the Blue top?

Yomama

I'm inclined to think that you have a problem (short?) somewhere. Most of this stuff, especially the radio, could run off of a watch battery for an extended amount of time to do what they need to do when the ignition is off.

the interior lights/switches may cause your battery to drain a bit when left on for a day or so. also, if you have an aftermarket amp for speakers or a sub, make sure it shuts when you pull out the key. i've left my cruiser for weeks and fires up normally, even during cold winters- there's definitely something abnormal draining that battery.

Yes, it sound like there might be a short somewhere. Having said that, I certainly reccomend the blue top.

When I got mine I talked to some guy at Optima and a local dealer, I decided to go with the Blue top, so as I had stuff I can run it while the truck is not on. Plus I don't have plans to install a second battery, therefor, go Blue.

Definitely sounds like a prob somewhere. FYI - beware on that MG alt. They frequently put out too much for the isolators to handle when one of the batts is too low - sometimes will trip the 7.5 amp IGN fuse when trying to start - just an fyi - keep extra fuses handy if you keep it.

I'm running red for main and blue for everything else.

yo...My cruiser will unwillingly sit for up to two weeks without use (company will not allow use of personal vehicles). I do not have duals but do have the aftermarket stereo and amp. I have an orange top and do not have a problem with drain. One thing to check is the amp turn on wire. It is usually blue and will run from the deck to the amp. If it is powered all of the time your amp will be on all of the time. Just a thought. :dunno:

i would check that amp first,as it will definately cause a serious drain,while the other things you mentioned shouldnt really cause problems....

with that said,i too leave my cruiser for a week at a time sitting with an OEM alarm and alpine head unit(clock and mem presets,no amp)and havent had a problem--using a optima orange top.....

a trick to help find a short or drain is to disconnect your accessories one at a time,and then disconnect a battery termnal after each acc disconnect.If there is still a current drain or path,you will get a small spark when you reconnect the battery.
by the time you disconnect all the different accessories,you should be able to isolate the one causing the drain.

start with the ones you KNOW that have a current draw(radio/alarm)eliminate those and then start looking for ones that SHOULDNT cause a drain..

HTH's

doug

Also, it sounds like that battery is dead, at the end of my red top's life it would show charge, but actually be dead. I have my amp wired to the acc. position on the ignition, along with the radio, so I can run the stereo with nothing else at all on (including engine,) cause my fuel pump is wired to the "on" position of the ignition. I killed my red top because of a severly occillating charge bc of waay to short 30 yr ol brushes in the alternator and a dead 30 yr old volt reg. New brushes and new reg later, its all good, that 30 yr old Nippondenso alternator is putting out plenty.
Oh yeah, as a testament to the yellow-I actually drove my cruiser for a week with NO alternator charge at all, just off the yellow top, I would charge it at night and drive off it the next day. But thats not too bad when your daily round trip is ~1.5 miles. :D

I had a very similar problem with my 91 cruiser, which hasn't been completely fixed yet. I have a pretty much bone stock 91, and I would have problems where the battery would only last for a short period of time, like maybe 9-12 months. I was doing the same thing with a Sear's battery, where I could go back in, and get a brand new battery. I was able to isolate it down to the DOM fuse. I looked at the electrical diagram, and I see that the DOM fuse has many things it is associated with it. I do know that when I pulled it out, my draw went down quite a bit. Since then, I have not killed a battery, after sitting for 7-8 days. Here's what I lost with pulling out the DOM fuse: radio (ouch), dome lights, (clock hasn't worked for a while, so maybe that also), I never use light, so dont know.
I haven't gone to see an electrical shop, to see if they can help isloate futher. So for now, I drive around in silence...... :-/

Let me konw what you find out.
Sony,

Thanks for all the responses. If I find the problem I will let you all know. I found this article on this problem that may also help. My fear is that all my crap combined is causing this problem. Either way my current battery is toast, so I am going to spring for the either the Red or Blue top, prefer the Blue, but I need the top and side terminals and I don't think the blue has that, either that or I rewire :cry:

Dead Batteries And Solid State Electronics
Using The Old Test Procedures Will Make You Crazy
by Dave Martin
This is not an uncommon scenario: A customer complains of a dead battery in the morning. They have to jump start it three days in a row, and now they’ve brought it to you for repair. You run a charging system and battery check, and they both show normal readings. Something is draining the battery. It’s time to run some tests. Since checking voltage between the battery and cable is no longer an accurate test, you disconnect a battery cable and install your ammeter in series. Your meter reads 25 milliamps (mA), well within normal range. How can that be? "There has to be an excessive draw here that’s killing the battery," you tell yourself.

What’s Happening?
On-board computers and many other solid-state devices on today’s cars need full-time power to energize their "keep-alive" memories. When you break the circuit to install your ammeter, these systems shut down. Any defective component that had been drawing excessive current before you disconnected the cable, may work correctly when power is reconnected.

The solution is to measure amperage flow without removing power to the circuit. This can be accomplished by two methods. Either run a jumper wire from the battery terminal to the cable while connecting your meter, or install a parasitic drain switch which may be opened after your meter leads are connected.

Important Concepts To Remember
1) If you install a parasitic drain switch, make sure you drive the vehicle afterward using all accessories. That will ensure that any defective component has been operated. Then, with your meter connected between the battery and the cable, either open the parasitic drain switch or remove the jumper wire and read the amperage draw. Any draw over 50 mA is excessive.

2) Some systems normally draw power for up to 15 minutes after the key is turned off. If your meter initially shows over 50 mA, leave it connected and check it again in 15 minutes. If the draw is still over 50 mA, there is a problem that needs to be located and repaired.

Yomama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom