craigslist Anybody know this truck? (Denver area CL) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Curious if anyone knows this truck or the owner? I'm pretty green with 70 series trucks. Looks decent. Not sure what engine is in it.

1583780687133.png

I live in the Denver area and formerly had a 93 Prado so my spidey sense for these vehicles is pretty sensitive. That being said, I have never seen it.

I live in the Denver area and formerly had a 93 Prado so my spidey sense for these vehicles is pretty sensitive. That being said, I have never seen it.

I just saw your classified ad for that Prado. It was sweet! I wish I saw it sooner, I would have bought it.

Can you tell from the pictures what engine is in this one? I don’t yet understand all the different engines that came in these things, and which ones are desirable/more reliable and which ones to avoid.

Last edited:
Sorry - that is a question for the gurus on this site - I’m not sure. It is NOT a 1KZTE though - that is what mine had in it.
Just start doing searches on here for desirable engines and I think you will come up with a lot of information. Sorry, not trying to avoid your question, I just don’t have enough info to intelligently tell you

Thanks! So which engines are the desirable ones?

None, IMO. KZ and 22R/22RE would be the other engines offered in the long wheelbase Play-doh light duty Land Cruiser of this vintage.

None, IMO. KZ and 22R/22RE would be the other engines offered in the long wheelbase Play-doh light duty Land Cruiser of this vintage.

None? Really? I can’t tell if you’re being serious.

I thought some of the turbo diesel engines in the 70 series/JDMs were supposed to be solid.

Weigh all the information and opinions that you get...
My 1KZTE engine had about 150k miles and gave me no indication of any troubles. That being said, you have to put in the preventative maintenance and take care of these engines, but if you do, they can be very robust power plants. You don’t see these 30-year-old vehicles still driving all around the world because somebody swapped in a Cummins.

None? Really? I can’t tell if you’re being serious.

I thought some of the turbo diesel engines in the 70 series/JDMs were supposed to be solid.

Sounds like KZ engine is the one you want for this model. I personally don't think of it as desirable, though "solid" may be an appropriate description.

Personally I would hold out for an hzj77 if I were wanting a 4 door 70 series with the 1HZ

plenty of desirable Toyota turbo diesels if you feel like swapping

13bt
12ht
1hdt
1hdft
1hdfte

I think you’re spot on @FJBen. I did some more research last night and I think the HZJ77 w/ a 1HZ is where it’s at for me.

I think you’re spot on @FJBen. I did some more research last night and I think the HZJ77 w/ a 1HZ is where it’s at for me.

Although there doesn't seem to be many HZJ77 with manual, I would recommend manual transmission as well.

Although there doesn't seem to be many HZJ77 with manual, I would recommend manual transmission as well.

@FJ73Texas, interesting, why is that? Is it a preference thing, or are there issues with the auto / reasons you don’t like it?

I might get asked to leave this forum for saying this, but my preference would be an automatic.

@FJ73Texas, interesting, why is that? Is it a preference thing, or are there issues with the auto / reasons you don’t like it?

I might get asked to leave this forum for saying this, but my preference would be an automatic.

If you like automatic and there is nothing wrong with that preference then you have a lot more HZJ77 to choose from.

It is just a preference thing I guess but have seen some people post that the automatic is slower. (Both are slow so it doesn't really matter).

Thanks! So which engines are the desirable ones?

1993 and up got the 1KZTE engine and multiple friends of mine have had these engines once they became 25 yo. So if you want a Prado, look post-1993. These things are rocket ships. Super fun to drive with a manual. Coil sprung, 12v, and a joy to drive when compared to leaf springs and a 24v system of the 70 series Cruisers. IMO of course.

A good EGT install, maintenance, and you're good to go. Other countries report electrical / ECU hiccups but nothing major. The 1KZTE shares a lot of similarities with the 1HZ platform but in a 4 banger.

1993 and up got the 1KZTE engine and multiple friends of mine have had these engines once they became 25 yo. So if you want a Prado, look post-1993. These things are rocket ships. Super fun to drive with a manual. Coil sprung, 12v, and a joy to drive when compared to leaf springs and a 24v system of the 70 series Cruisers. IMO of course.

A good EGT install, maintenance, and you're good to go. Other countries report electrical / ECU hiccups but nothing major. The 1KZTE shares a lot of similarities with the 1HZ platform but in a 4 banger.

hmmmm........”Rocket Ships”???
Not sure about that, but I agree - seems to be a pretty solid engine with a few tweaks and gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom