Any 12-point fasteners in the 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I'm a total noob when it comes to mechanical work on a vehicle but I'm planning to correct this. First off, I need to get some tools... thinking Facom or Stahlwille. But damn these things are expensive, so I'm kinda wondering if 12-point sockets are a must (given 5 or 10 degree teeth in the ratchet), unless of course there are many double hex fasteners around (except in the engine, on conrods etc).

Twelve point sockets are used for regular hex bolts. No twelve point fasteners.

I'm sure someone here can tell you what the twelve points are good for but I've never had a need for them.

12 pt sockets grip the bolt better because they are closer than six point, so less of a chance of rounding things off under torque
i think, no promises, but i have both and sometimes ones seems better than the other

bundy18 said:
12 pt sockets grip the bolt better because they are closer than six point, so less of a chance of rounding things off under torque
i think, no promises, but i have both and sometimes ones seems better than the other

This is exactly...wrong. 12 point sockets are much more likely to strip a bolt head due to the decreased contact drive surface.

I believe that in the 80, the head bolts have 12 points, but they are the only ones as far as I know.

12 point sockets work with hex bolts and square bolts, although you don't really run across square bolts on a vehicle (anymore). 12 point box-end wrenches allow you to use them in tight access situations, but that's not that important with a rachet/socket. Cruiserdrew is correct that six point sockets are the socket of choice for hex bolts that are tight, frozen, etc. As I loose them or get frustrated, I am slowly replacing my 12point sockets with six point sockets.

So 6-points are better unless you plan on working on something with square bolts.

Anyone have a picture of the 12 pointed head-bolts?

Thanks for all the advice. In conclusion, looks like I'll be going with 6-points sockets only... not really planning on working on the engine straight off :cool:

NMuzj100 said:
Anyone have a picture of the 12 pointed head-bolts?

Connecting rod cap bolts from a 1HD-T
Img0012as.jpg

more 12 point bolt pics in my BEB replacement thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1221777&postcount=11

I wouldn't limit your tools to 6 point only. There are times when getting a 6pt spanner on bolt is a PITA.

cruiserman said:
I wouldn't limit your tools to 6 point only. There are times when getting a 6pt spanner on bolt is a PITA.

Agreed, but the only thing 12 point should be a gear wrench, unless, of course, you plan major engine work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom