Antenna mount question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to put an older Yaesu FT-1500 in my 93. My plan is to put a Larsen 150 antenna on the driver side fender. I'm going to bend up an L bracket of sorts to mount it. I have a question about grounding the bracket, though. Does it need to be a bare metal to bare metal ground as an electrical ground would be? As in, do I need to scrape the paint off where it bolts to the fender? I see L brackets sold online that are powdercoated, so that makes me think no, but I'm not sure I understand a grounding without bare metal. I obviously would rather not invite rust if I can keep from it. And I would like to paint the bracket I make if possible.

Thanks for the help.

I had to Google that model and it came back as an NMO mount antenna. That is usually used as a hole mount in the top of the roof and the ground is on the bottom side of the roof as it holds it in place. I have seen magnetic mounts for that antenna base if the L bracket doesn't work out. The antenna should have a rubber O ring as a seal to keep the moisture out of the base when it is on a flat surface.

Larry in El Paso

After I posted that last night, I read some more about it. I kept seeing it recommended to put a star washer in before tightening. In theory, it bites through the paint. I'm just not sure if that is correct.

If the fender bracket doesn't work out, I may switch to a hatchback bracket on the back hatch, or rig something up around the tail light. I think I would get better performance on the fender, though.

Have you seen the Larsen NMO L bracket? It's stainless steel and grounds to vehicle via three small stainless steel screws. Cheap and works good.

The 150 is a 1/4 wavelength antenna, so yes, it needs a ground in your application.

BTW I have Yeasu 1500.....good radio.

I knew it would need a ground plane, but was unsure about how to properly ground the mount. I wound up using a small metal L bracket I had laying around. Drilled it out to put the NMO bracket through, then attached it to the fender with regular self tappers. Ohmmeter showed a good connection, so all went well.

This is basically the same as the Larsen bracket, but runs about $1.50. If you don't mind drilling a hole, it will save you some money. I spray painted the visible part that didn't need to make connection black.

This antenna is actually 5/8 wave. I was originally going to go with a 1/4 wave, but decided on this one. I'm very pleased with the setup so far. The radio is older, but works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom