ANOTHER TROOPY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new!
I definitely don't know how to use this forum most effectively...but I thought I'd start a thread to document my new build anyway! I'm hoping that as I update my plans people will give their input and hopefully give me better insight into my newbie choices. I like to think our plans are exciting...so here goes:

A little preamble...
I live in Canberra, Australia, and I bought my first 4wd off my Dad about 10 months ago. It was our old family people-mover; a 2003 Landcruiser 100 series. V8 petrol, IFS front etc. I grew up driving it, and I loved owning it for a stint. It was comfy and smooth, super capable, (super thirsty), and I totally fell in love with the 4x4 lifestyle; finding dirt wherever I could...how boring is tarmac! I began to make plans to do a big lap with my wife.

We then had the thought..."if we're gonna do this, let's go all in", and without having too many financial commitments in our early 20's, we began tossing up the idea of buying a newer vehicle for extra peace of mind when it comes to longevity and reliability. We did lots of research and landed up falling in love with the idea of living in the van that is also a 4wd beast...the Landcruiser 78 Troopy. It could only be Landcruiser...so it was really a toss up between a 200, 300, 76 or 78. (79 wouldn't suit my day to day needs). I wanted to try out solid axles for maximum off-roadability, and we chose the 78 over the 76 as it seemed more optimal for living out of. Was I wrong? (Too late!)

After making this decision I called up a bunch of dealerships enquiring about a new troopy; most just laughed. One about an hour out of town however, said, "someone just pulled out of their order and we have one on the shop floor" (without the criminal price-hike). We bought it straight away! With a rough 60% down payment and the rest on finance; we owe Toyota a lot of money. From deciding we wanted one to owning it was about 3 weeks...a crazy timeline, and our first major purchase.

So now I'm a super-stoked-sandy-seventy-series-sucker! (And have a 100 I plan on selling asap). Here she is, brand new, plans to modify will follow.
Please input, say g'day, I'm just havin' a crack!

69915357359__FB0AC9C4-9562-4315-BE96-2A285D7AA8A2.png

First things first;
- This was bought post rego, so no GVM upgrade, however I believe the later 2022 model came with 210 extra Kgs of GVM so I am planning to try and stay under with my touring build.
- I purchased a rear bar for my 100 from The Cruiser Company, and they were just about to send it to me when I bought the new rig. They were very gracious in selling my 100 bar to the next buyer, and are making me a rear bar for the troopy currently!

Mods in planning (in rough timeline order);
- Tyres
I'm planning on fitting Yoko Geolandar M/Ts 255/85r16. Thoughts? I ran A/T 285/75r16s on my 100 and I loved them, no hassle, never got stuck, good look, hefty on fuel. I'm intrigued by the "pizza cutter" though, as I've heard that they are fabulous at doing everything overlandy; their only downside being the shortage of choice and availability. I'm less easily swayed here as I want to give M/T's a shot, and try skinnies for the fuel consumption and look. I plan on getting 6 as an assurance against stock levels in the country. Yoko's over BFG's because major price difference, and I hear BFG were all that...a few years ago. Speak now, or forever wait for pics!

- Rims
Classic Sunraysias. I want black steelies. I like the OEM design but not the colour. I think the 10" 255s will fit on a 16x6" rim, please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Roof conversion! We're going to chop the top. Currently a toss up between Mulgo and Alu-Innovations Kronos. I really want the Mulgo for weight and height and interior latching etc, however at 6'1 I'm worries this will be a push for me to fit in their smaller length bed. Alu-Cab Herculese just looks too chunky and square...I'm not a fan. Are there any other companies making sleek conversions available in Aus?

- Engine mods
Diesel is new to me, just after protection not major power boosts or anything. Currently planning to instal a fuel pre-filter, catch can, diff breathers, safari snorkel. Anything else you would recommend for protecting our future home's motor?

- Wrap
We're gonna wrap it for a little bit of paint protection, and a spicy look...I won't say much more yet as some people get sad when I tell them this. Sandy taupe all the way, don't get me wrong, I love it! But what we're designing I love better ;) the design will be based off of a troopy model that does actually exist in stock form...but it ain't sand, white or blue.

A few more, but probably worth mentioning closer to the time of action. A q:
- Rear axle correction. Rim offset or Tru-Tracker? Tru-Tracker says $3,500aud online, is that accurate? I'm willing to save and swing that if deemed necessary. Rim offset in the meantime? Or just run zero offset until I go for the tru-tracker? Cheers in advance!

@jamierea
- Engine mods
Diesel is new to me, just after protection not major power boosts or anything. Currently planning to instal a fuel pre-filter, catch can, diff breathers, safari snorkel. Anything else you would recommend for protecting our future home's motor?
————————————————————————————————————
Its my understanding that the V8 is very sensitive to bad diesel and I see where a lot of owners install a second fuel filter.

I'd recommend watching some videos of the Alu Cab vs Alu Innovations online. The Alu Innovations seems to be slightly smaller than the Alu Cab.

I'm running Falken 255/85/16 M/Ts on my troopy, they aren't loud at all and I'm very impressed with them so far. Mine are on a 7" wheel though.

I'd recommend watching some videos of the Alu Cab vs Alu Innovations online. The Alu Innovations seems to be slightly smaller than the Alu Cab.

I'm running Falken 255/85/16 M/Ts on my troopy, they aren't loud at all and I'm very impressed with them so far. Mine are on a 7" wheel though.
Cheers @prwillard2 ! I’m excited to try out this tyre, glad to hear they work. Thanks for input on rim size.

Picture early 2000’s Toyota Camry…

Jks, I’ll get to it 😎
Where as all of the 70 series in the US look like early 1980's Toyota Camry interiors. Except for a select few...

Very nice troopy you have. I don't think you would have a problem with your height and the Alu-Innovations top. I have access to one if you want any info on interior space. Agreed, Mulgo looks the best profile wise and Alu-Innovations is a short second. It would be very easy to modify the the Alu-innovations or Alu-Cab so they could be secured from the inside. And, I don't think it would be too difficult to put panel in the mulgo to extend the bed length it that is the route you wanted go.

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

Get some pizza cutters and do not look back. Anything over 265 mm/ 10.5 in. is not worth it and rubs.

Regarding the engine, your plan is good. No need for anything else. It will make your engine run reliably for a long time. Make sure your secondary fuel filter is a good quality one.

I would leave the rear axle correction for a later time. In the meantime, I would go with a rim offset.

Enjoy your Troopy.

Juan

Where as all of the 70 series in the US look like early 1980's Toyota Camry interiors. Except for a select few...

Very nice troopy you have. I don't think you would have a problem with your height and the Alu-Innovations top. I have access to one if you want any info on interior space. Agreed, Mulgo looks the best profile wise and Alu-Innovations is a short second. It would be very easy to modify the the Alu-innovations or Alu-Cab so they could be secured from the inside. And, I don't think it would be too difficult to put panel in the mulgo to extend the bed length it that is the route you wanted go.
Much appreciated @svsisu . I might get in touch re Alu-Innovations. Do you own one? I’ve found them hard to get in touch with and haven’t managed to get in touch with any retailers.

I’m going to Sydney next week to see Alu-Cab and Mulgo tops in person. Hopefully I can find an Alu-Innovations on show too.

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

Get some pizza cutters and do not look back. Anything over 265 mm/ 10.5 in. is not worth it and rubs.

Regarding the engine, your plan is good. No need for anything else. It will make your engine run reliably for a long time. Make sure your secondary fuel filter is a good quality one.

I would leave the rear axle correction for a later time. In the meantime, I would go with a rim offset.

Enjoy your Troopy.

Juan
Glad to be here! @JuanJ

You’ve said exactly what I was hoping to hear…so that feels good! Pizza-cutters will be on in a week or two.

Perhaps I will get an offset for the rear. You don’t think this will have detrimental effect to my bearings?

Thanks for your input!

Glad to be here! @JuanJ

You’ve said exactly what I was hoping to hear…so that feels good! Pizza-cutters will be on in a week or two.

Perhaps I will get an offset for the rear. You don’t think this will have detrimental effect to my bearings?

Thanks for your input!
Hello,

Wide tires, such as 12.5 in./ 318 mm, will eat up your bearings and seals, front and rear. Ask me how I know. And there is rubbing and extra wear on the steering linkage.

The main concern with the narrower rear axle is fishtailing in off road tracks. The rear wheels need to make their own track, and slide the rear of the vehicle. Do you plan to go off road often, in mud or sand?

An offset is a good option until funds and time are available for the rear axle correction.

Juan

This Troopy is almost making me wonder if I should apply for a job in Australia... almost. 😜

Very nice troopy, congratulations! I am sure it will provide many decades of memories and adventures. :cheers:
@Rigster when you do, I’ll happily cross the water and take care of your sweet lookin 70 ;)

Hello,

Wide tires, such as 12.5 in./ 318 mm, will eat up your bearings and seals, front and rear. Ask me how I know. And there is rubbing and extra wear on the steering linkage.

The main concern with the narrower rear axle is fishtailing in off road tracks. The rear wheels need to make their own track, and slide the rear of the vehicle. Do you plan to go off road often, in mud or sand?

An offset is a good option until funds and time are available for the rear axle correction.

Juan
@JuanJ we will definitely be spending heaps of time in sand and on mud (but more so next year when we plan to live in it full time and do the lap). In the meantime we will do plenty of road driving, with the odd weekender on the trails.

Would love to see some interior photos.

The belly of the beast; some cool roof skeleton and bare interior walls.
IMG_4019.png

Beer-carrying ability is off the charts! (I'm a beer rep...not a fiend).
IMG_4034.png

A reasonably nice set of speakers that are begging to be relocated.
IMG_4032.png

Rear seats that will sadly go un-sat. 🤘
IMG_4030.png

Two digits 🤤
IMG_3963.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom