Another tire thread... Ko2 vs.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These threads are so hard to get much out of. Everyone has strong, valid opinions. But who is able to run different tires on identical rigs in identical conditions?
My experience with the Wild Peak ATs was that they had poor traction in the dry, rocky and sandy stuff I wheel in. My KO2s have done much better. I'd actually love to get some MTs but I'm concerned about the road noise. The cost for a set of tires makes playing around with different options an expensive undertaking, too.

Seeing a lot of negative feedback on the KO2 recently, on various forums. I have had three sets previously on my jeep, in Southeast Alaska where rain and snow is the name of the game. They have always done well for me, but the 80 is a much heavier rig.

Our only good local AT option is KO2 @ Costco, but 315s seem hard to come by right now and there’s no ETA from BFG. If I am looking for the better end of snow traction from a similar AT tire, which is it?

Falkens are $100 more for 4 and a little heavier, but get great feedback. I don’t really like duratracs. Cooper XLT? I’m happy to go with BFGs again but may not be able to get a set before winter.

Have to be able to order them on prime, as the shipping cost up here from any tire site is ridonkulous ($500+) so choices & availability are limited. There are only 3 Falkens in stock now, and 1 KO2. Snow/packed snow/slush is my main concern as anything will be fine for the rest of my driving.

In the 315 I believe falkens are 5-6lb heavier than KO2/duratracs, but considering these are all already around 70lb, does it really matter?

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of negative feedback on the KO2 recently, on various forums. I have had three sets previously on my jeep, in Southeast Alaska where rain and snow is the name of the game. They have always done well for me, but the 80 is a much heavier rig.

Our only good local AT option is KO2 @ Costco, but 315s seem hard to come by right now and there’s no ETA from BFG. If I am looking for the better end of snow traction from a similar AT tire, which is it?

Falkens are $100 more for 4 and a little heavier, but get great feedback. I don’t really like duratracs. Cooper? I’m happy to go with BFGs again but may not be able to get a set before winter.

Have to be able to order them on prime, as the shipping cost up here from any tire site is ridonkulous (like $500) so choices & availability are limited. There are only 3 Falkens in stock now, and 1 KO2. Snow/packed snow/slush is my main concern as anything will be fine for the rest of my driving.

In the 315 I believe falkens are 5-6lb heavier than KO2/duratracs, but considering these are all already around 70lb, does it really matter?
I have had the same concerns when looking through threads. I can’t tell if the love/hate with ko2’s is simply because they are the benchmark, or are these true concerns.. I ordered a set of Falkens, now have both sets on there way to tire shop. Still wondering if I’ll notice the difference between the 285-295. Alittle scared the go to 315 as I live in the south and do a lot of hill driving, already feel like my 80 is underpowered.
The Falken’s almost have no negative reviews. I googled it and found a head to head with KO2s and they won in almost every catagory. I think there are better tires than both of these for snow. I know a lot of people rave about the Cooper Maxx. One thing with the Falken’s is the 55k tread warranty, which BFG doesn’t have... looks like Falken wants to stand behind their tire.

just a thought......

Falkin WP 3's ?

Goodyear Ultra Terrains ?

Cooper ST Maxx ?

I'm waiting for DTD Labor Day sale soon.....

need new shoes for my 2500HD Chevy
Good year is being boycotted

I have had the same concerns when looking through threads. I can’t tell if the love/hate with ko2’s is simply because they are the benchmark, or are these true concerns.. I ordered a set of Falkens, now have both sets on there way to tire shop. Still wondering if I’ll notice the difference between the 285-295. Alittle scared the go to 315 as I live in the south and do a lot of hill driving, already feel like my 80 is underpowered.
The Falken’s almost have no negative reviews. I googled it and found a head to head with KO2s and they won in almost every catagory. I think there are better tires than both of these for snow. I know a lot of people rave about the Cooper Maxx. One thing with the Falken’s is the 55k tread warranty, which BFG doesn’t have... looks like Falken wants to stand behind their tire.

Cooper AT3 have a 60k warranty... just sayin

I've run the KO2's on my 80, Tundra and 4th Gen 4Runner. They are good tires but don't last as well as others. I'd run them on a lighter rig if I had to do it again. Currently running Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my Ford F350 and like them so far on a heavy truck with camper. I would probably choose them again if I were to run an AT on my 80.

BTW, What oil do you use?

Hey now, keep your trolling on Facebook arguing with your uncle about his political views.

I’m using castor oil and it helped with driveline vibes & road handling, but I only put it in the air box

My 80 came with 8 y/o duratracs and they need to go. Still good enough tread, but old dogs. They are 315s and it has OME J springs... if I were sitting lower I’d already have sized down. That said, at sea level in AK with only a 5 mile uphill (both ways, of course) to snowboard every day, I’m happy with the drivebility.. and the look 😜

Last edited:
Definitely skip the bfgs. I live in Montana and have yet to meet anyone’s who had more then one set. They buy them because of the hype, hate them, and them move onto something else. Rain/ snow traction isn’t their thing. I’m sure they’re great in sandy hot environments though. I’ve had a ton of luck with cooper st maxxs. My roommates run 2 sets of wildpeak at3ws and regrets buying something else this time around. My girlfriend has a set of General atxs and swears by them. It’s honestly hard to get a bad tire now... except for KO2s...

That's wild - a lot of folks run them out here (including myself) because they work well in the snow and are snowflake rated so they count as a "traction tire" for the mountain passes. We are 30min from the ski area and

I've only had the KO2's - I heard they were a major upgrade from the older generation.

Yeah, that’s why this question is such a mess, haha.

General ATX & Cooper XLT are the two considerations in stock right now, probably would go cooper. $910 after rebate is better than the rest too.

Last edited:
That's wild - a lot of folks run them out here (including myself) because they work well in the snow and are snowflake rated so they count as a "traction tire" for the mountain passes. We are 30min from the ski area and

I've only had the KO2's - I heard they were a major upgrade from the older generation.

It seems to be such a hit or miss thing. Tons of people on forums absolutely love them but it seems like whenever I ask people in town they seem to not be fans. I wonder if the compound of KO2s is a little hard for the month of negative degrees weather we see here.

Ordered a set of 5 Cooper AT3 XLT’s
Decided on these as they came in 295’s, had a thread wear mileage warranty, and are made in the USA. They are only a 2 ply sidewall, but it sounds like they have put a lot of thought into the design.
I would say you can’t Go wrong with a Falken At3w or the Cooper AT3 XLT if you’re looking for a solid AT that checks all the boxes.

Anyone know for sure if the current XLT has the snowflake? I know it’s just a rating, but I’ve seen both. Most seem not to, but some 2019 reviews say they do, and there was this video recently. If the tire is the same either way, I guess it doesn’t matter

F73AC8F5-95A7-40F4-8602-BEBD5305CE0C.png

D47E9197-D968-42AF-A6E1-6D78CCA30153.jpeg

Anyone know for sure if the current XLT has the snowflake? I know it’s just a rating, but I’ve seen both. Most seem not to, but some 2019 reviews say they do, and there was this video recently. If the tire is the same either way, I guess it doesn’t matter

View attachment 2420324

View attachment 2420340
Not advertised as far as I can tell, but a few reviewers have said they are in the process of adding the symbol as the tires have passed the test. I will let you know when I get mine.

Awesome, thanks. Again, if it’s the same compound, I don’t care about the symbol, but haven’t found a clear answer and I’m a nerd.

Anyone know for sure if the current XLT has the snowflake? I know it’s just a rating, but I’ve seen both. Most seem not to, but some 2019 reviews say they do, and
Awesome, thanks. Again, if it’s the same compound, I don’t care about the symbol, but haven’t found a clear answer and I’m a nerd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom