Another tire thread... Ko2 vs.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
295/75/r16

called my tire guys today to order a set of nitto terra grappler. They only had them in 305/70/16. Was hoping for the 295s.
He did, however, quote me $205 a tire for the BFG Ko2 295s. Which seemed less than I thought. What’s the latest impression of these. Anything else worth looking at? I know that might be a matter of preference. Looking for a tire that handles well on dirt, light off-road, and mostly pavement as my 80 is my daily.

For your quoted use .....dirt, light off road and mostly pavement it’s an excellent tire. It Does not perform well in mud or snow.

Sure it’s a couple Decade old design with Only light refresh but it’s quiet and lasts forever and generally stays true. Harder compound gives longevity at cost of traction. Lots of other great choices too but this one isn’t to be ignored imo

295/75/r16

called my tire guys today to order a set of nitto terra grappler. They only had them in 305/70/16. Was hoping for the 295s.
He did, however, quote me $205 a tire for the BFG Ko2 295s. Which seemed less than I thought. What’s the latest impression of these. Anything else worth looking at? I know that might be a matter of preference. Looking for a tire that handles well on dirt, light off-road, and mostly pavement as my 80 is my daily.

I was looking at the same thing here a few weeks ago. I wanted to go BFG’s in a 295 but after talking with some of my oil field accounts about some of the problems with BFG I decided against them. Most of my customer base is running the Cooper and the Falken. Falken being run more in my area. Another strike against the 295 was that it seemed everyone was going to have issues getting them. I ended up getting a real good deal on 5 Of the Wildpeaks in the 285 flavor and I’m real happy. They have a super quiet ride on pavement and I think they are going to do very well on the trail.

I was looking at the same thing here a few weeks ago. I wanted to go BFG’s in a 295 but after talking with some of my oil field accounts about some of the problems with BFG I decided against them. Most of my customer base is running the Cooper and the Falken. Falken being run more in my area. Another strike against the 295 was that it seemed everyone was going to have issues getting them. I ended up getting a real good deal on 5 Of the Wildpeaks in the 285 flavor and I’m real happy. They have a super quiet ride on pavement and I think they are going to do very well on the trail.

What problems were they having? I just went with the BFGs in 285 75 16

205USD seems like a bargain. Just goes to show we are totally rorted on prices in Australia. I got quoted 350AUD for supply for 285s. for comparison, it'd be 280Aud if we paid the same price.

I’m a long time (decades) fan of BFG AT. Current set of ko2’s has 25k miles and still quiet. This set has seen fairly aggressive trail use with no issue. I’m definitely not nice to them. When I’m ready to replace I’ll get the same. I’m sure there are other AT’s that perform as well. Just don’t buy some off brand mullet tire.

The biggest complaint was uneven wear and some warranty issues. I’ve had BFGs before and was happy with them. Not a hater at all I just decided to go a different route this time. I probably should add I bought five Falkens out the door for $1082 which helped me make my decision.

I assume he is speaking to the tread wear issues, mud/snow performance.
These are the only knocks I can find. I had a set of ko2’s a while ago on a different vehicle and didn’t like how they wore. 100% due to the way I drove them over inflated... I think these tires have excellent grip but have what seems to be a slightly softer tread. Very important that you run the proper air.
thanks for the replies so far. I will consider the Falkin WP 3 and Coop At3. Couldn’t find the coop Maxx in 295... any more suggestions/comments?

205USD seems like a bargain. Just goes to show we are totally rorted on prices in Australia. I got quoted 350AUD for supply for 285s. for comparison, it'd be 280Aud if we paid the same price.
But you don’t have to worry about stock/back order issues with cool after-market parts from AUS...

Personally? I don't think i'd buy an A/T over an M/T at this point. Granted, I have a 1st gen 4Runner and this would obviously be different for a heavier rig but I have close to about 50k miles on a set of 35x12.50R15 KM2s and I'm just below the halfway mark. I'll put up with the additional noise for a more luggy set of tires.

Rock the BFG's! I've run the KO2 on many vehicles and love them. Great wear (rotate every 5k), work great on my DD's

Loving my Cooper AT3 XLT's... they are 295s, super smooth and are same price. I have always run mud tires on my other 80 but this one is not going to be a wheeler. Such a different ride with the all terrains vs the muds, happy I made the change.

Rock the BFG's! I've run the KO2 on many vehicles and love them. Great wear (rotate every 5k), work great on my DD's
I think I’m committing to them. Seems like a good deal+ promo.

Just installed General Grabber ATX (285/75-16) last weekend after getting 62,000 miles from the General Grabber AT2 (the previous version of the ATX). The ATX tread pattern is nearly identical to the proven BF Goodrich Ko2 tread pattern. By my logic, I spend more time on pavement than dirt and the softer tire compound of the Grabber ATX will have more grip when braking/turning on the road, where I need it most. On top of that, the cost savings of $20 a tire, when buying 5 tires, is a nice bonus.

Will you post a picture with your 285’s. I’m between the Wp3’s in 285 and the Ko2’s in 295.

295/75/r16

If you are looking at an all-terrain tire, the KO2 is hard to beat. Excellent sidewall strength and they last forever. I got over 60K from my last set. All terrains will never take you all the places a mud tire can take you but they are cheaper and last a lot longer.

Definitely skip the bfgs. I live in Montana and have yet to meet anyone’s who had more then one set. They buy them because of the hype, hate them, and them move onto something else. Rain/ snow traction isn’t their thing. I’m sure they’re great in sandy hot environments though. I’ve had a ton of luck with cooper st maxxs. My roommates run 2 sets of wildpeak at3ws and regrets buying something else this time around. My girlfriend has a set of General atxs and swears by them. It’s honestly hard to get a bad tire now... except for KO2s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom