Another tire thread... Ko2 vs.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw that, but guess I didn’t keep reading long enough. Sounds effectively like it may the same compound but built tougher, though the XLT didn’t snag the rating. Perhaps it’s the extra siping on the 4s and slightly stiffer build of the XLT. My main concern is the overall compound, if it remains pliable at low temperatures like others with the mountain logo.

Last edited:
Saw that, but guess I didn’t keep reading long enough. Sounds like the same compound but tougher? Still curious about the mountain logo, but probably should just go for it.

I have really liked the KO2 on my jeep up here but with all the negative feedback lately (and historically) about wet performance on trucks, I’d venture to guess the XLT could be better?
Said it had the M+S but not the 3 peak.

It's not obvious but there are two versions of the BFG KO2.. 3 peak snowflake (3PMSF) version with no mileage warranty, and the non-snowflake "DT" version that has a 50K mileage warranty. BFG website doesn't mention two versions. It says KO2's have a 6 year warranty, and a footnote reads: "50,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty on select sizes". On a different forum I found a posting from discount tire saying the DT version is available on sizes most popular with diesel trucks:

LT285/70R17 121R BFG AT T/A KO2 DT
LT285/75R16 126R BFG AT T/A KO2 DT
LT275/65R20 126S BFG AT T/A KO2 DT
LT275/70R18 125R BFG AT T/A KO2 DT
LT285/65R20 127S BFG AT T/A KO2 DT
LT265/75R16 123R BFG AT T/A KO2 DT

If one of these sizes works, and 3PMSF rating isn't needed, then a DT will probably give the longest tread life, at the expense of traction.

Just FYI.

My xlts were made in December 2019 and have m+s but no flake
Interesting. February 2020 gearjunkie review says they have it & you can see it in a photo. Guy on a tundra forum posted his in July 2019 before yours were made, and you can see the triangle. I’m also catching the 3PMSF on a handful of other videos from 2019+.... wondering if it could be size or load range dependent. Strange. Waiting to hear from cooper & will share.

Not trying to overthink it, but wanna know before I hit the purchase button..

Last edited:
From cooper - the answer to the snowflake question is that certain sizes, specifically the larger ones like the 315, do not have the certification because of a slight performance difference due to size/width. Each size has to go through the test up north in Canada. That being said, the tire is exactly the same. Still torn between this and the grabber ATX.

They said that size made the certification in one of their other brands, but I doubt it’s Starfire and didn’t see it with Mastercraft

From cooper - the answer to the snowflake question is that certain sizes, specifically the larger ones like the 315, do not have the certification because of a slight performance difference due to size/width. Each size has to go through the test up north in Canada. That being said, the tire is exactly the same. Still torn between this and the grabber ATX.

They said that size made the certification in one of their other brands, but I doubt it’s Starfire and didn’t see it with Mastercraft
I wonder which size is the biggest to receive? This doesn’t really change my decision as I do not live in a place that will ever require this and I trust it’s performance in the snow. The Falken’s at3w have the snowflake fore sure, and are a cheaper option. In researching, it was a toss up between these two.

The screenshot I posted w/ flake is a 275/65/20 so only .5 shorter, so width and sidewall height must have a bigger effect, may not bite down as well. Must be marginal though since it’s the same tire.

AT3W is $150 more for 4 in the 315 on Amazon.. I admit my biggest hangup is the weight, though.

It doesn’t get super cold here and I don’t drive aggressively, so probably doesn’t matter. But, it’s a tire thread!

My AT3 XLT 285/75/16 that I bought in Jan. 2019 do not have a snowflake. I thought the AT3 4S all had the snowflake. It's been a while since I've had BFGs, and my last set was KO not KO2, but the BFG seemed to have better forward/reverse traction than these Coopers, but so far the Coopers have been good side to side, where the BFGs were NOT, in my experience with them. Side to side was supposed to have been improved with the KO2. So maybe I'll try them again next time.

Happy with my Toyo ATII Extremes in the 315 flavor, good traction, 10-ply and I’ve heard on and on about good tread life. Toyo also just launched their AT3, and I’ve heard good things about them. Curious if people in other parts of the country don’t see Toyos too often? Not even mentioned in this thread

Ran KO2s before, from right at launch, about 35K on them and the strangest wearing tire I have ever seen, but never let me down.

For breakfast I like bacon and eggs, black coffee. Occasionally some oatmeal. I use Vaseline in the uni joints on my 80, but some people say this will cause the needle bearings to slip instead of roll. But a Toyota master tech recommended it to me a number of years ago because his dad uses it. Please also send an oil sample to blackstone while your in there getting new shoes on your 80. You never know

Happy with my Toyo ATII Extremes in the 315 flavor, good traction, 10-ply and I’ve heard on and on about good tread life. Toyo also just launched their AT3, and I’ve heard good things about them. Curious if people in other parts of the country don’t see Toyos too often? Not even mentioned in this thread

Ran KO2s before, from right at launch, about 35K on them and the strangest wearing tire I have ever seen, but never let me down.

For breakfast I like bacon and eggs, black coffee. Occasionally some oatmeal. I use Vaseline in the uni joints on my 80, but some people say this will cause the needle bearings to slip instead of roll. But a Toyota master tech recommended it to me a number of years ago because his dad uses it. Please also send an oil sample to blackstone while your in there getting new shoes on your 80. You never know

lol

Verizon, can you hear me now? I think it has to do with distribution. I know that the Toyos are very popular up in the Seattle area through Les Schwab.

I've put on about 20K urban/fwy miles on 315/75/16 KO2s. Wearing perfectly fine. Rotated them a couple of times. Truck is always aligned and pretty much babied for daily use. Quiet and smooth. They're so not fussy I'm getting bored of them. You see them everywhere and that's a good thing.

I'm switching up to 17" alloys from 16" steels. I decided to go with a hybrid tire for the first time. Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.5 on a 17x9.5 wheel. I'll report more when I have them on. Satin black 16" steel wheels with 35" KO2s for sale in Los Angeles!

IMG-2282.JPG

Our local Schwab sells Toyo, though ours is a notoriously shady place and overblown pricing. I’ve looked at the AT3 and can get them on prime - look nice and sound like a decent choice, but I like a couple others more... you know, in my head.

I miss tire prices for my XJ with 31s...

Our local Schwab sells Toyo, though ours is a notoriously shady place and overblown pricing. I’ve looked at the AT3 and can get them on prime - look nice and sound like a decent choice, but I like a couple others more... you know, in my head.

I miss tire prices for my XJ with 31s...
Can confirm as of today that the 295/75/r16’s do not have the snowflake. I can also confirm that they look incredible on an 80series. Really happy with the result.

DA11034C-387A-417C-AEF8-321FBA6DCAA8.jpeg

Nice! They really do look great... IMO, perhaps one of the best looking for an 80. Beautiful rig, too. At your convenience, could you tell us the loaded height of the 295, since it's been reported at least the 315 runs a bit small?

I just went with the Toyo AT3 after things I read via page 3 of this thread, as upper-tier winter performance (within a studless AT tire) is my main concern. I'm sure the XLT would have been plenty for me, as I'm far from ripping around like Joe Bacal, but it gets real sloppy here.

Can confirm as of today that the 295/75/r16’s do not have the snowflake. I can also confirm that they look incredible on an 80series. Really happy with the result.

View attachment 2423505
Looks great! I owned a ‘94 the same color - my favorite! It’s a shame it wasn’t offered after ‘94. I haven’t kept up on improvements to the Cooper AT/3 but had a set on my 100 about 10 years ago. They were great in the slick stuff. Rotate them often as mine got quite noisy - most likely my fault (and not the tire) due to not rotating often enough.

Edit: Love the wife telling the kiddos to be patient while dad takes a pic of his tires.

I've owned lots of bfgs but my first set of ko2 are now on my 5th gen 4runner in 275/70/17. They are quiet on the road, good in dirt, gravel, and even mud and snow (for an A/T)
Unfortunately:
I have had balance and wear problems with them from the beginning. Even when I had them mounted the tech came out and told me he had trouble balancing one of them. Ive rotated often and they still wobble. Ive had them for about 25k miles and ill keep them until they wear out but I won't be buying another set after that.

I've owned lots of bfgs but my first set of ko2 are now on my 5th gen 4runner in 275/70/17. They are quiet on the road, good in dirt, gravel, and even mud and snow (for an A/T)
Unfortunately:
I have had balance and wear problems with them from the beginning. Even when I had them mounted the tech came out and told me he had trouble balancing one of them. Ive rotated often and they still wobble. Ive had them for about 25k miles and ill keep them until they wear out but I won't be buying another set after that.
Perhaps you’ve already done it but for ANY large truck tire I always have the shop do a road force balance. If it’s a solid shop they’ll take the extra time it requires. My preferred local independent shop does not charge extra for it.

I took it to a shop that does that after the installer had troubles (and a few times since) and it helped, but hasn't fixed the problem.

I took it to a shop that does that after the installer had troubles (and a few times since) and it helped, but hasn't fixed the problem.

One of my biggest pet peeves is ANY wheel or cabin vibration which are normally made apparent at 70mph+ by a poorly balanced wheel+tire combo.

I alway take my vehicles to a shop that knows how to operate a Hunter Roadforce machine.
Best practice.

Looks great! I owned a ‘94 the same color - my favorite! It’s a shame it wasn’t offered after ‘94. I haven’t kept up on improvements to the Cooper AT/3 but had a set on my 100 about 10 years ago. They were great in the slick stuff. Rotate them often as mine got quite noisy - most likely my fault (and not the tire) due to not rotating often enough.

Edit: Love the wife telling the kiddos to be patient while dad takes a pic of his tires.
Thanks for the tips, and yes my wife was calming the kids down! 😂
Interestingly enough, mine is a 96. Just had the hood painted and he said the entire car had been previously painted. Had a difficult time matching the color. I dig this color too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom