Another rear bumper thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have experience w/ the 4+Plus rear bumper from MAF? It's now looking like the best option considering the lack of availability for 60 series rear bumpers.

4+Plus 60 series tow bumper

4X4Labs... too expensive for me right now.
SROR... no longer taking orders
Slee... discontinued. They were 90% sure that they will not be offering another 60 series bumper. Not very good odds.
Kaymar... no thanks!
IPOR... none available

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rondog has posted up in the past with a rear bumper that he appears to be offering: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/173245-rear-bumper-w-tire-hi-lift-carrier.html

I have a 4x4 Labs bumper and I am very happy with it, but I hear you about the cost you were quoted. However, there is a lot of labor that goes into these, more so if they are custom or customizable. 4x4 Labs has been offering a rear bumper kit (you weld it together) for the 80 series. Did you ask about an option like that for the 60 series (I guess though, if you had a welder you'd be making your own...)

edit: I just looked at the 4+ bumper. The 4x4 labs bumper has integral rear quarter sliders. If you will be doing any trails where you will be sliding your ass-end across rocks and have stock (untrimed) rear quarters that you don't want damaged, you should factor in the cost for quarter sliders into the 4+ price.

edit #2: I think Hanna will make one for a 60 series: : : : : Hanna Quality Motorsports : : : :

Last edited:
Rondog has posted up in the past with a rear bumper that he appears to be offering: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/173245-rear-bumper-w-tire-hi-lift-carrier.html

I have a 4x4 Labs bumper and I am very happy with it, but I hear you about the cost you were quoted. However, there is a lot of labor that goes into these, more so if they are custom or customizable. 4x4 Labs has been offering a rear bumper kit (you weld it together) for the 80 series. Did you ask about an option like that for the 60 series (I guess though, if you had a welder you'd be making your own...)

The 4x4Labs is awesome stuff, I wish I could go that route. If I had a welder I would definitely be trying to build something on my own.

Last edited:
I just looked at the 4+ bumper. The 4x4 labs bumper has integral rear quarter sliders. If you will be doing any trails where you will be sliding your ass-end across rocks and have stock (untrimed) rear quarters that you don't want damaged, you should factor in the cost for quarter sliders into the 4+ price.

Good Point. Cheap insurance really, you figure a crushed rear quarter is going to cost more then the extra money spent on the 4X4Labs bumper.

I'm trying to talk myself into it now. :)

4x4labs does do a weld your own kit. Luke quoted me in the neighborhood of $1000 complete with dual swing outs, latches and all hardware etc. Just add welds.

clint

i'm in the same situation as you are. i can't believe no one wants to make a 60 series bumper. the funny thing is that everyone made one at one point or another and now they all don't. maybe i just need to buy a welder, learn to weld, and make 60 series bumpers. lol, i'm sure its not that easy..

I am going to replace the PO half ass attempt of a rear bumper and build my own .
So I have not really looked at any store bought units yet. Is there really not much of a choice when it comes to rear bumpers for 60/62's? I have looked at front ones and there seems to be a fair amount.
So do you all think there is really a demand for a rear unit? and if so what kinda price range/style would be one to shoot for.
Becouse I have changed jobs and now have time to actually make my rear unit. If I kinda knew what style people liked I might just make one for mine and if the price is worth it start making some (low volume).
If you have something in mind PM me and we could go from there.

i will be posting pics of my rear bumper from rondog next week.

it is sick.

dual swingouts.

one side jerry can ice chest cooler combo (one chest or 2 cans)
hilift same side and cb antannae mount.

other swing out spare tire.

and sliders.

top notch quality workmanship

i am going to call him to post on this thread his contact info.

i will be posting pics of my rear bumper from rondog next week.

it is sick.

dual swingouts.

one side jerry can ice chest cooler combo (one chest or 2 cans)
hilift same side and cb antannae mount.

other swing out spare tire.

and sliders.

top notch quality workmanship

i am going to call him to post on this thread his contact info.

Nice! Definitely post up when you get pics.

I am going to replace the PO half ass attempt of a rear bumper and build my own .
So I have not really looked at any store bought units yet. Is there really not much of a choice when it comes to rear bumpers for 60/62's? I have looked at front ones and there seems to be a fair amount.
So do you all think there is really a demand for a rear unit? and if so what kinda price range/style would be one to shoot for.
Becouse I have changed jobs and now have time to actually make my rear unit. If I kinda knew what style people liked I might just make one for mine and if the price is worth it start making some (low volume).
If you have something in mind PM me and we could go from there.

Keep us updated if you ever get anything going.

rear 60/62 bumpers!

I'm still making bumpers! There are a couple fellows out there who have been kind enough (as well as patient) to put there trust in my designs. Hopefully there will be some pics and great reviews from them as well!:D I do have a great stash of pics from the build-up of these past few bumpers, but can't get my pictures out of bitmap form to post them. Also I get too much Sh*t from people cause I don't have a star, that I can't quite afford right now! :bang: even though I tell everyone I know about the great family of cruiser heads on MUD who can give advice, answer Q's, and just plain help out if I can't! How is that not supporting? I would be gald to keep building for you guys, PM me if your interested in bumpers.
Thanks DAN!!:clap:
RONDOG

i'm in the same situation as you are. i can't believe no one wants to make a 60 series bumper. the funny thing is that everyone made one at one point or another and now they all don't. maybe i just need to buy a welder, learn to weld, and make 60 series bumpers. lol, i'm sure its not that easy..

Last edited:
Will know in a few weeks my 4+ is on back order and I am expecting it any day. Expecting and arrival are two different things the distributor for 4+ who shall remain nameless has had not had, ready to ship, oh sorry not ready to ship for three weeks now. I see now why they don't get hearted very often.:mad::censor:

Last edited:
This whole 60 rear bumper thing would be easier if everyone wanted the same thing, wouldn't it? But hey, we each have slightly different needs and wants. My wants? I'd like a rear bumper for my '62. I want the bumper itself to be a piece of rectangle tubing. I want a receiver hitch and a tire carrier. I like the tire carried up high. I also want two recovery tabs, one at each frame rail. I don't want a jerry can and cooler rack.

I'm hoping SROR can help me out once he gets his shop re-situated. But, I'd be happy to look at other sources, too. That one on Proffitt's 6X is the nicest one I have ever seen.

I don't think I totally understand the rear cross member issue. Do most folks cut the rear crossmember out to get this type of bumper installed? I have also heard that you need grind out some rivets. I need to get under my truck and have a closer look and educate myself.

We can easily make them again, problem is few people want to pay for them. At last production time, ours was around $1500. I can make another batch, but would like to get some pre-orders. We might also do a little better on the price if I know they are pre-sold. Turn around probably around 45 days or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom