another one bites the dust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1KZ-TE in my prado (original). It has a lot of power but uses enormous amounts of fuel. When I use it around town I think I do 1lt every 6 to 7 km. Highway (if you can call the roads here like that) 1lt every 8 km. Luckily with the gas prices being the lowest in the area ( U$ 0.20 a liter) I do not complain that much.
Had some problems with the oil return pipe, they repaired it the first time, second time they replaced it with a hose but left the begin and end so they could fit the hose. Then it completely broke off where it enters the engine (huge oilspill).
Other then that it smokes a little even after cleaning the injectors.
But all in all a nice engine with lots of power.

Regards

Brunei Prado

I can't speak to how you drive or work your truck; however, my 1KZ-T - powered Land Cruiser regularly gives me between 19-21 miles per gallon, depending on city or highway useage. That's U.S. gallons and not Imperial. I have never bothered to calculate what that would be in terms of liters/100km.

I can't speak to how you drive or work your truck; however, my 1KZ-T - powered Land Cruiser regularly gives me between 19-21 miles per gallon, depending on city or highway useage. That's U.S. gallons and not Imperial. I have never bothered to calculate what that would be in terms of liters/100km.

21 miles/gallon(US) = 11.2006944 litres/100 km
Thats respectable enough .My brothers KZJ90 uses a little more proably because of a heavier body
My 1HZ in the 73 series uses about 13l/100klms

I once achieved 18L/100km highway driving with a big trailer, otherwise you can't really get far below 12L unless you limp into economy mode, in which you'd still be a lot faster than a L series anyway :D
The KZ heads have a tendency to crack as well, sooner or later depending on the usual stress factors. Some high mileage units also encounter block cracking in the cylinder wall, I have one in the shop with 280000km.

nice ride, strong88. no snow tires? sounds like good gas mileage. do you have a blower? what about a pyrometer to measure exhaust temp? do you think it is necessary for the kz? the response from denis is a bit of a red flag. do you have concerns? adds to the confusion.

IF the question is "what is a fool / bomb proof 4 cyl Toyota diesel motor?" The crusty and trusty 3B is likely the candidate - and been bantered about to death vs 13bt vs 1hz vs 2h etcetc...and I'm not interested in debating that again. I would look at the 3L personally and nothing else in the truck your considering. just my opinion...
Sorry to hear your pains...
Good LUck.
JOhnny

my concerns about the venerable 3B, 13BT is the weight difference between the 2LTE and that heavy monster of an engine.
f it was a leaf sprung unit then you could add a leaf to the pack to compensate but coils is not the same. also then you are looking at rad changes, tranny change, exhaust work etc etc.

i wen tto take a look at the engine at ProActive and the turbo was not the cause of the demise it was a dropped valve, the head is damaged but probably repairable, the cyl #4 is scored badly, the exhaust pieces went into the exhuast turbine and there is damage to the turbo so...
a repaired head, new piston, sleeve the cylinder and check the crank for damage... costly but able to be done.
KZ engine with bell housing and minor mods to make it fit.
3L with the turbo and exhaust "should" be a direct bolt up with minor mods.

sell the girl for as much as you can get and buy a different rig and cut your losses.

take it to the hills and roll it and get your money back from the insurance company... <not recommended, insurance fraud is not a joking matter>

cheers

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. :crybaby:

I still think its strange that these 2LTE (2LTII) equipped vehicles managed to survive for 15 years in Japan (assuming they are not pre-cracked at the auction) and then by all acounts are committing mass suicide shortly after arriving in Canada (and Australia). I still think it has to have something to do with how we drive here, my Surf hardly breaks a sweat to cruise all day at 80km/h, but it is definately working hard to cruise at 100km/h. The 2LT, 2CT, 1KZ and even the 3L have quite a number of tales of head cracking and/or general overheating issues from various forums I have visited so picking a replacement Toyota diesel sure isn't a no brainer unfortunately.

One other swap you might want to think about, that won't be diesel, but would kick some ass, would be the 4.0L V8 from the Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400. Very reliable and lots of power. Saw a write up in 4WD Monthly a year or so ago of a guy who did that in his Surf in Australia. I think a company in Australia called Marks even makes the adapter you would need. Sorry I don't have any links, just going from memory.

nice ride, strong88. no snow tires? sounds like good gas mileage. do you have a blower? what about a pyrometer to measure exhaust temp? do you think it is necessary for the kz? the response from denis is a bit of a red flag. do you have concerns? adds to the confusion.

Thanks I like it too. I didn't put snow tires on because we don't get that kind of weather down here so AT's get the job done. I dont think I know what a blower is (sorry) but I do know that I have 2 fans positioned in front of the ac condenser that run as soon as the ac's turned on. My only concern is that the temp reading is low and doesn't go beyond 1/4 of the entire gauge. I already got a spare thermostat just in case the original fails.

Hi everybody!

Well, the 3L, i don't know, but teh 1KZ/T are prone to head breaks too. Seemingly the first KD engines can be fitted into earlier versions with the KZ. Myself i would may be consider another option, PZ engine, the five cylinder, i bet it can be fitted.

Bye.

Max.

anything can be fitted with time and money but is it financially feasible?
the PZ is a good engine as is the "B" series but the weight difference, plus all the other mods needed to get it to fit would make these a very expensive swap.
maybe a 4 cylinder gasser engine would work say a turbo 4 banger out of a celica, the weight ratio would be similar as well as the power, maybe even fuel milage...
the Mitsubishi 2.7 in the J54/3 would make a good swap, much more power and even better fuel economy and the engiens are reasonably priced.

by blower, i meant do you have a turbo? apparently, you can bolt one on to the kz.

the dropped valve in #4 that crushers was referring to; where did that one come from? after the head cracked the first time (complete neligence on my part....20 mi of steep uphill grade in the bc mountains while i was thinking of my girlfriend), we have been obsessed with engine temp and keeping the rpm managable, keeping speeds at 100k. i must have said something to really piss #4 off or it was one of those freak things. don't know how we caused it, or if we caused it. really hope no one else has this problem.

it could have been installed improperly when the valves were moved from the old head to the new. it could have been a weakened or bent valve stem.
i wish i would have taken my camera, i have not seen a mess like this...

no warranty. had the chance of purchasing a warranty for $600, but i thought,' hey, it's a toyota. what can go wrong?'
' yuk yuk! didn't do my homework.

would a gas engine (eg a mitsubishi 2.7L) have enough torque for a 4400 lb prado in the mountains? anyone out there have a gas unit?

here is some seriously sad news,in the paper this past weekend there was an artical on some guy in BC that just brought in 200 Toyota diesel surfs...
man is Dan ever going to make some serious coin over the next few months...

the 2.7 is a diesel engine...

200 Surfs...wtf!!! Considering the market for Surfs/Prados is pretty saturated already and prices are low as a result my spider sense tells me that dude is looking at some serious financial loss. Make my beloved Surf as common as a K-car...jerk. :mad:

What paper was that in Wayne? I'd like to try and see if I can find the article online.

200 Surfs...wtf!!! Considering the market for Surfs/Prados is pretty saturated already and prices are low as a result my spider sense tells me that dude is looking at some serious financial loss. Make my beloved Surf as common as a K-car...jerk. :mad:.

if he is offering warranties then he will be selling his house soon enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom