Another Newbie Intro. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been a faithful follower of mud for awhile now, but here is my introduction. I bought my 1989 FJ62 three years ago. It was bone stock and had 250,000 miles. I drove it for awhile while I was trying to figure out how I would build it up. The 3fe is original, the A440 had been rebuilt. I will be using this rig for exploration, fishing, camping etc. After much research here on Mud I decided to go with a 4" OME with S/R. It is on 35" MTR's with 4.88 gears and a detroit in the rear. I also have a 8K winch and an ARB front bumper. Enhanced the tunes with a Scion radio and aftermarket speakers. The truck has been a lot of fun, but the motor is getting TIRED (262,000 now). I am planning a vortec swap in the not so distant future. Anyways, glad to be posting up my intro, thanks for all the tech advice over the years. I do not know how many times I ran in the house to do a mud search while my LC was in a million pieces in my driveway!

PS - Thanks to my friend C.W. "the Toyota guru" who assisted me with this build:clap:
small FJ62.jpg

Thanks - Yes, I am hopefully getting a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, hopefully this summer or fall. I do not like having the spare up on the rack, I have already had to get it down once and that was not fun!

Sidebar - Anyone have any good tips on getting old window tint off. I need to re-tint and the stuff on there is in pretty bad shape. Thanks.

Great looking Rig, I like the red.

Tint:

Goo Gone, Razor Blade (wide one) and lots of paper towels.
When you peel off the tint with the blade, some of the adhesive
will remain, saturate it with Goo Gone, let it get gelatinous then
blade again, then wipe the rest off. It will take a while to get it all

Main concern is back window, no blades on that one (defroster strips
can be damaged easily)

Good luck

Sidebar - Anyone have any good tips on getting old window tint off. I need to re-tint and the stuff on there is in pretty bad shape. Thanks.

Take a blow dryer (the dry the hair after a shower kind) and starting in one corner, get the tint good and warm, and then get your finger nail under the corner and start carefully pulling up the tint as you move the blow dryer back and forth just ahead of the line where you are pulling the tint up. It should come off in one piece. Then get "Icky Sticky Stuff Remover" or "Goof-Off" to disolve the sticky residue. This worked for me.

Bienvenido! = Welcome! to the addiction!!!:D

Three of the most recent intros have all been red 62's....:hmm:
Sweet rig
-Carl

:hmm:Very nice rig ,I too have an fj62 from ABQ .And we go there often
to visit , any how as far as having a Scion unit .Is the purpose for
all audio / video and nav. ?? I have made some notes to see about
a unit that will fill and replace the audio system in my dash now .
What are some thoughts, consers, benifits ??:hmm::hmm:

:hmm:Very nice rig ,I too have an fj62 from ABQ .And we go there often
to visit , any how as far as having a Scion unit .Is the purpose for
all audio / video and nav. ?? I have made some notes to see about
a unit that will fill and replace the audio system in my dash now .
What are some thoughts, consers, benifits ??:hmm::hmm:

I learned of the Scion swap here on mud, got it off E-Bay for $50. My stock unit was dead and I wanted a cd player. It was a simple install, just plug and play.

I just removed the tint from the windows on my 84' FJ60, it was dealer installed in 1984. I did a internet search and was told to use straight ammonia (sp) and a steamer. It worked pretty good, razor blade on all the windows other than the rear window with the defrosters. On the rear window I just scraped with my finger nails, it took a long time. The whole truck took me like 4 hrs. but it looks a 100% better with out the 80's vintage purple tint that was bubbling.

I was able to get all of my old and flaking tint off using the technique slcfj62 mentioned, but with a clothes steamer instead of a blow dryer. Whole job took about an hour and a half. Be sure to get both layers off simultaneously, and pull slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom