Another double seal speedo housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SMG

Threads
After researching how to fix the leakage at the parking brake, I thought it was time to perform the double seal mod.

These are the before pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice work - but I hope you caulked up the splines before reassembly - mine has a far bigger issues with spline leakage than with seal leakage.

Nice work - but I hope you caulked up the splines before reassembly - mine has a far bigger issues with spline leakage than with seal leakage.

Yes, caulked the spines of the brake drum then slid it onto the shaft.

Used a Permatex that's made for gear oil.

Last edited:

I know I've said this before ... but caulking the splines is a waste of time..

Toyota machined those splines with clearance and no matter what caulking compound you use, it will mash-out in quite a short time (depending on how much you use your cruiser of course) and continue to leak oil.

Better to instead seal where the driveshaft yoke-flange meets the brake drum.

You can do this as I've done here:
Handbrake068.jpg

or do what Mike @78fj40mg does and use an O-ring here..

:beer:

First I have read of it. Perhaps I will do both (caulking splines and sealing the face with Loctite). Thanks for reply and photo!

I know I've said this before ... but caulking the splines is a waste of time..

Toyota machined those splines with clearance and no matter what caulking compound you use, it will mash-out in quite a short time (depending on how much you use your cruiser of course) and continue to leak oil.

Better to instead seal where the driveshaft yoke-flange meets the brake drum.

You can do this as I've done here:
View attachment 1253806

or do what Mike @78fj40mg does and use an O-ring here..

:beer:
how does this help with any leakage from the splines into the brake drum?
Or is it just to stop the leaks from making it out of the spline, past the drum and onto the floor?

All of my leaks have been minor and just dripped onto the drum...

But I am putting the dual seal housing in in a few weeks, caulking the splines, and maybe a new speedi-sleeve

how does this help with any leakage from the splines into the brake drum?
Or is it just to stop the leaks from making it out of the spline, past the drum and onto the floor?

All of my leaks have been minor and just dripped onto the drum...

But I am putting the dual seal housing in in a few weeks, caulking the splines, and maybe a new speedi-sleeve

This main thing you do to stop oil getting inside your brake drum is to eliminate unwanted play in your transfer output shaft because that play will cause ANY seal to leak (no matter whether it is new, old, single-lip, double-lip, or with or without speedi-sleeve).
Handbrake024.jpg

That sorted, you replace the seal (and do whatever else is necessary to ensure that new seal will hold back the oil).

But even when you have your output shaft running true with an effective seal in place (thus keeping the insides of your brake drum nice and oil-free) you'll still get oil travelling along the splines (thus bypassing the seal). While the amount of oil you lose in this way is minor (and won't enter your brake drum), unless you stop it (by sealing the area where you see I'm applying the flange sealant in my photo in post #12) then .. Yes... It will drip on your garage floor and be flung around under your vehicle while you're on the move (especially when/after climbing steep hills off-road or having parked on a steep gradient facing uphill).

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom